1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ working out with AB??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Vox Ferrum, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I cannot find the link, unless it was in a dream I thought I read an article DJ was working out with AB. I do not doubt AB's workout regimen, just hope nothing else gets in DJ's head.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Saw that on Instagram AB was posting selfies with DJ. Don’t see any harm in it personally. Hopefully he picks up a few things from AB, whatever we think of him he is one of the best ever.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Agreed. But.......... he is one of the best ever until he opens his mouth.....and I'm guessing they talk:no2:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Ha ha. Look, DJ is his own man, doubt he will be taken in by anything negative AB has to say after all that has happened.

They are very similar players, same height and body type, shifty style, great returners. If DJ can learn a few things from the master I’m all for it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s true. Wonder what that’s about. Trying to get back on the Steelers good side to work his way back on the team? Doesn’t really make sense, I’m sure if he isn’t put on the exempt list, he’d get offers for more than the Steelers could pay him. Maybe he cant quit Ben :lolol:

From a field standpoint, it’s great for DJ but You don’t want him poisoning the young mans mind. Hopefully DJ can compartmentalize and just take the good and leave the bad.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/steelers-diontae-johnson-working-antonio-brown

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. Why wouldn’t you want him working out with one of the best. People need to realize that these athletes relate to each other much better than a grudge holding fan. It’s a brotherhood between the players that runs much deeper than a fan’s bitterness over what happened. They understand it’s a business and even though AB has been a disaster the past year it doesn’t have the same effect on the players as it does the fans. I think DJ will take advantage of the opportunity and if his mind is so easily swayed then it’s a problem with him that goes deeper than what rubs off from AB. I would hope DJ is mature enough to take the good away from their interactions and not whatever bad presents itself.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I want ab to have no affiliation whatsoever with anybody on this team. When has ab ever been about anyone other than ab

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox Ferrum.

It could just be me. But within the last 3-4 weeks I have seen various “news bits” related around Bell, Brown, and Holmes and maybe even Bryant all regretting the way that they left Pittsburgh. And as most of us figured, they would figure, “The grass is not always greener on the other side”.

We all know how good they had it here. Unfortunately, they did not. For Holmes it is obviously too late for a return to football. For the following this is my approach.

Bell: Take him back. Work out the whole team apology thing…. Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Bryant: Take him back as well. He really did not burn any bridges

Brown: WOW! Man he is talented. I loved the guy from an athletic standpoint and what he did for us on the field. However, him more than the others really seems to be trying to wiggle his way back. Unfortunately, he has probably dug too big of a legal hole to get out of. Both from the Law and the NFL.

IN ADDITION. The man “has” (hopefully “had”) some very serious psychological issues. However, he has come out and apologized to Ben and the Team for his antics. He is that good folks. Alone, what he has accomplished in the last 5+ years would probably qualify him for the HOF. Unfortunately, and again, I think the hole is too deep to get out of.

AND OF COURSE. He would need a serious, and I mean a microscopic, psychological evaluation before I would even consider a return to us. And then, disclose that behind closed doors at a private team meeting. No Press. This to hopefully explain the rationale for his poor conduct during his last few years with us. He does owe the team that IMO. I know medical records and evaluations are very private and what I suggested as far as the disclosure of the exam is usually not done. However, if it was me I would feel that I owe it to my ex-teammates as part of an unwritten condition to rejoin the B & G.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Brown’s Apology to Ben

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/antonio-brown-apologizes-steelers-ben-roethlisberger

The Good Old Days

BBB.jpg

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    It’s not just DJ he is working out with, there are posts on AB’s Insta showing him working out with some college players from Florida as well. It surprised me too but I doubt there is anything sinister in it.

He did make a fleeting apology to the steelers not long ago and was hinting at a return but Colbert shut the idea down decisively at a combine interview. I think there is a good chance he never plays in the league again. I’ve no doubt there are teams that would take him but the league don’t want him back and are deliberately stalling on their investigation in to his various misgivings to put teams off.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I can respect that but it’s unrealistic. Like I said above the players themselves aren’t hurt over it the way some fans are. In fact there are players on the team who said they would of taken him back. As far as AB never being anything but about himself? Probably never .....but that didn’t seem to stop the fans from being giddy with the performances he put on when he stepped on the field every week. The idea that he was a phenomenal player and the disgust some may feel from everything that happened, don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Its a little concerning to me. Birds of a feather? Of the 311 million people in the US and thousands of NFL players currently on teams and all of the trainers available, I have to wonder why DJ picked him from all the other options. I don't care how talented this jackass used to be, he is not someone I'd want a player of mine to interact with. This is what I did with my kids when they were growing up. Protect from the wrong influences.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There is nothing "man" about the majority of these kids fresh out of college.:smiley1: Most have a social awareness and education level of an 8th grade high school student and have an unlimited amount of money (in their minds). I wouldn't want AB any where near anyone I cared about, or wanted to succeed, because his physical skills can't transfer, his mentality might.:smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    The best example of what AB can give is how to take a HOF career and destroy it in record time. Forget all the on field accomplishments as that may have been potentially all been ruined. So, his off the field accomplishments overcame his on the field accomplishments and that to me would want me not to have any rising star anywhere near him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Think about it this way:
    1. AB's physical talent "can't" transfer to DJ.
    2. AB"s work ethic "probably" isn't what they work on together.
    3. AB's mental illness, and general mentality, "might" rub off on DJ.
    To me, it's a lose-lose proposition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd be if you asked all of the players if they'd want him back, you'd get some feeling the other way. Especially those who just loved how he got special treatment to stay where he wanted during training camp and at other times. So to say players don't feel the same way as fans is not being intellectually honest IMO.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What are you basing this on?

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The league shouldn't want him back and the Steelers should be reprimanded for harboring and enabling his BS. The reprimand shouldn't be public but "the league" should let the Steelers know that they aided in the creation of the cancer that AB became.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Did I say all? Nope I said some and some were on record claiming such. So it’s not being dishonest at all. There’s proof in their comments. There’s also proof that the players don’t take it as hard as some fans because there are guys actually working out with him. My comment is also based on only the information of when he walked out on the team. There have been other things that have come to light that may have swayed some the other way. The fact that TB is also on record of hoping to play with AB is just another example of some players willing to overlook his transgressions.

To each their own and if DJ feels he can get better by working out with AB so be it. I don’t think he’s taking the paranoia of some fans into consideration.....

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven’t seen any Steelers players saying they’d want him back. Would be a little awkward since JuJu is still on the team and AB has trashed him several times. Having the back of a guy not on the team as opposed to the guy that is. Skeptical. It’s not just fans either, several players around the league have spoken out about AB. I know it’s hard for some to fathom but you can actually change your opinion about someone when they show you they are an awful person, regardless if you once cheered for him.

I don’t trust AB for a second, the last reason he is doing this is out of the goodness of his heart. And I’m not naive enough to believe he isn’t talking badly about Ben, Tomlin and Colbert, hell, probably Rooney too while he is working out DJ. Probably presented in a way that he is giving helpful insights to each person on the team and in the organization.

Like I said though, from a football aspect it’s great, they have very similar games, who better to learn from. Just hope he doesn’t learn anything else from him. AB is in serious need of psychiatric help, you don’t just flip a switch and all better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I don’t mean to imply that AB hatched some sinister plan to sabotage DJ and got him to train with him so he could implement it. I’m just saying that he will fill DJ’s head with bs about the organization while he is training him.

• Like Like x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am gonna need my tin foil hat for this thread.....smh

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They seem to be able to wrap up investigations and hand out suspensions very quickly when it suits them, yet they have been stalling on the AB thing for months. I do not blame them one bit. He brought the league in to disrepute and made a mockery of the leagues recruitment and employment framework by forcing his way off two teams within the space of one off season. They must be thrilled that it blew up in his face.

I am of course speculating, but it is hardly beyond the realm of possibility that teams are reluctant to sign him because they know that the moment they do the league will be forced to act and hand out a suspension. Not even the most desperate teams will want a guy with that kind of baggage.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Or common sense. I mean the humanitarian AB is, he would never do such a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed, For the most part...The thing AB could pass on is his expertise...He was SO good...Good in and out of his breaks, setting up receivers, hand useage, varying his speeds etc...

But I just can't see AB NOT saying anything negative towards the Steelers , and especially Ben...Just hoping the kid is strong minded enough to stay singularly focused when he starts his bizarre mind games BS, That you know he undoubtedly is doing