1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

wtf......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Mar 17, 2020.

1. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Were going to miss Finney, he played well when Foster was out some also at center when needed. Chuks at tackle is not the answer, never seen what people see in him. Agree every time I seen he was horrible. Offensive line going to hurt next year unless they do something now. It would of been easier to just keep Finney.

2. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    I have to agree with ASk....

Feiler is confirmed the LG, Chucks at RT... starters all in place.
    Draft is deep at T
    Finney wanted to start, and maybe that is where the the front office did not see eye to eye with him.

Hurts losing him, but nothing we can't replace or over come.

Only thing is that, with the recent trades in the early 2nd, the start were lineing up for us to draft any RB besides Swift, who should go to Miami early.

3. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Franco, that is it we all wanted Finney as a back up and stop gap. At least that is how I saw him

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Isn't it funny how far we have fallen? Last year we had a lot of good players that we traded away a OT before the draft. Now we are struggling to find guys, I agree Chucks looked bad last year in what I saw of him. Yeah we do have Grey but what do we know of him he has zero experience in the regular season and he was a 7th round pick. Don't get me wrong we have had our fair share of late round & undrafted success however hard to bank on that. jmo

Yes the offense has to step up, it will be very hard to repete the performance on defense that we did last year. Of course a healthy Ben should help that and the less snaps MR and Duck see the better imo. I am hoping failing to address the back up QB spot don't hurt us or MR improves a bunch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree on both I liked finney and I am concerned about Chucks. However with keeping Feiler and Hilton then signing Watt there just wasn't enough money for him.......thanks Bud. Yeah they could have not signed Watt but they wanted him for some reason and at a pretty good price imo. So it came down to Watt or another lineman and obviously they felt the need to choose Watt. If they had more cap room they could have had both......did I say thanks Bud????????

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers screwed the pooch on this last season. Should of said good bye to Ramon, gave Finney a 3-4 year deal last season.

But hey is what it is. Best of luck to Finney, living in Seattle on that contract is like minimum wage. Hahaha...

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    OT? We need a back-up center now. Center is the most important on the line. We've easily forgot this because we've had a pro bowler for a decade but he's declining quick. He was horrible last year. If you've seen my mocks from middle of last year, you know who we need to get and it's not another WR in the 2nd round.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Especially now...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ed Bouchette ripped the signing of Derek Watt saying that the money should have gone to Finney.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It could definitely end up backfiring on us depending on how we address the OL and how it performs. They need to use Watt way more than they used Nix to justify that price tag. Hopefully his versatility is used to its fullest potential. He only played 122 snaps on O last year. I don’t assume he’s quite the mauler Nix was at blocking either but he does offer the versatility that needs to be exploited to make this a wise decision...imo

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's almost as many snaps as nix the last two years.:cool:

12. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I rip the re-sigining of Foster it should of been Finney last season. That is where they screwed up. Held on to Foster too long and it was obvious last season, he lost a step was too heavy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We traded away 2 offensive tackles that were draft picks. Hawkins and gilbert. As far as counting on udfa linemen, that's what finney was and three starters. They are fairly high on gray. Chuks also played pretty well on the right side, not so much on the left. Gray is worth a look if you haven't seen much of him. Not to bad. :cool:

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I definitely agree Ramons should have be released before last year.

I am just not sure about Finney, I know a lot of people liked him, but when he got in there the line definitely wasn't as good.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    True but the point is for a guy going from making 750k to 3.25mil when we have other needs as well, you have to use that investment more often.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

We traded Hawkins last year and a 7th rounder to TB for a 6th rounder in 2021 on August 31st because we were strong at OT and one wasn't gonna make the 53 man. Yes we did trade Gilbert but that was in March. What I was referring to was the strength at OT before the season, enough to make a trade.

Yes I do get our success with late rounders and udfa all i am saying is you can't depend on that. I would love to go back and watch Gray however he did not play a single snap last year in regular season. Yes guys do look good in preseason but that is a lot different then the real thing and I haven't seen Grey play in the real thing yet. Does that mean we should give him a chance or I am not hopeful, no but it just means when you are already shaky there you have to proceed with caution. You are pimping Grey a lot and that is fine I have to see more especially since all the change on the line. :smiley1:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The team was fairly high on gray as well. I'm talking of you watching him play LT at maryland in college. I like what I saw. Just like any draft pick though, you never know. Hawkins played the best I have seen him play last preseason only to get traded. We really don't have that much change. We need a LG. We need a backup center for now. :cool:

18. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Some of the best rushing performances the last 2 seasons, were when Finney started over Foster due to injury.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can't pay everybody

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The OL could be a priority in the draft, maybe at #49

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You also have to factor in and ask the question....How much of a impact did Munch have on the development of a lot of these unsung OL? As far as Gray he may have been a good LT in college but he clearly wasn’t projected as a T in the pro’s or he wouldn’t have lasted until the 7th. It’s more likely they see some potential at G but still not enough that he was chosen earlier. Does he have potential and a chance? Certainly but so do a lot of guys. Let’s see if he makes the most of his opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I actually said this last year... That's where the Steelers are to loyal, if that makes sense... That's exactly what they should have done...Cut Foster and coulda locked up Finney for peanuts

23. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Fred Johnson is the one that was stupid, and hurts...The Steelers screwed up big time making him suseptible to be poached

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, you have repeatedly hammered away on that drum. Try thanking the front office. They are the ones who made the choice.

Let's see what Finney actually got, because the reports are not consistent. The initial one was $8 for two years. Then there was another report that it is actually $9.5 million. It just seems like the Steelers don't see Finney as a starter. They still see upside in Okorafor, who did show promise as a rookie before seeming to backslide in 2019.

If the plan was to start Feiler at guard and Okorafor at right tackle in 2020, it makes sense that Finney wouldn't be a big priority. I'm sure that was something they considered before tagging Dupree, so that should tell you what they think of Finney.

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Exactly, top 10 players eat up nearly 140 million, that leaves about 58 mill for the other 43, minus whatever chump change you need for practice squad, and the 5 mill they like to have for emergency signings. Only so many ways to slice the pie.

• Agree Agree x 1