1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Punter prospect 2020

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by MeanJoeBlue, Feb 28, 2020.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Saw an article on CBSSports, and figured I would start a thread about Michael Turk.

Seems like a good example to get people arguing if they would stick with only UDFA punters, or actually spend a 5th (4th? 6th?) round pick.
    (With Berry having a better year, and all the other holes on the Steelers roster, I would say no to drafting a punter, but no harm in imagining.)

Michael Turk put up 25 bench press reps at the combine, beating out all the receivers and only tied by 1 TE.
    (More reps than some pro defensive pass rushers, like Clowney and Devin White.)
    Set a NCAA record for highest average yards per punt in a game (with a minimum of 5 attempts) at 63.0 yards per punt.
    And he had an uncle (Dan Turk) who was drafted and played for the Steelers for 2 years in the mid-80s.

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Was just reading this on ESPN, that is an amazing amount for a Punter. That dude must do a lot of weight lifting.

3. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Article says he is 6', 226 lbs.
    The uncle who played for the Steelers was an OL drafted in the 4th round.
    The other uncle was a punter for 19 years in the NFL, and made all-Pro.

Guessing they grow them big in that family.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    TBH, I didn't really follow Berry's performance this year too closely, but if the team felt they needed an upgrade and they used a 6th rounder on this guy, I'm all good.

If they can find a starter in the 6th round, albeit STs, instead of throwing a dart at some depth position, I would consider it well spent. NFL bloodlines is always a good thing. Flip the field consistently and then let the D pin their ears back....

5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Impressive bench press for sure. Pick him up and keep him on the 53 while we await the Pending "over hand serve" rule to replace the punt in special teams play. Hahahahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I personally didn't think Berry was that bad but we can save 1.8m by letting him go and the little I looked at(not many of us study punters) this class has a few good ones. I mentioned awhile back the kid from Cuse Sterling Hofrichter could be a very late rounder or even an undrafted steal.

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    With the 49ers taking a punter in the 4th round last year, other teams maybe looking for a Punter in the later 4th and 5th round picks this year

I am hoping Braden Mann, Texas A&M will still be available in the 6th for us. 2019 draft he would have been the 49ers 4th round pick avg 51 yards per punt and winning the Ray Guy award in 2018. 2019 his average slipped to 47.1 yards.

Berry easily cost us 2 games last year with his shanks. If the Steelers are in a win now attitude and want to save Salary Cap drafting a Punter in the 6th is the way to go.

I am assuming both Turk and Charlton will be off the board before the end of the 5th round. I do not see us spending our 4th round pick for him; so unless we only get a 5th for Bell, our best bet is to draft a punter in the 6th

6th round selections our generally guys that may some day develop; but a Punter taken in the 6th round will produce from Day 1.

End Result in cutting Berry for Mann, would save us 1.2million and increase our average punt by 5 yards.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1