1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Minkah Fitzpatrick worth a 1st?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Nov 5, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

More than just being 18th overall. Some had Minkah going Top 5 in 2018; to Cleveland doubly so and no less. That would have been problematic. Why?!

In comparison to Denzel Ward, who regressed this year, keep in mind the Browns still have Myles Garrett. Like him or not, he is an impact player on the defensive side of the ball. Minkah has not only improved but has emerged as arguably the best Defensive Back from his class thus far. This leads me to this point below...

Would ANYONE on this board imagine if Cleveland had BOTH Minkah and Myles?!?! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean yeah great to have but again lirk I said qb to me is the biggest hole on the team. It's why MIA did trade him. Great as he is they realize they weren't going anywhere until they had someone under center that could play. The 10th best QB in the nfl has more value than the best safety or even best defensive player in the nfl.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Refer to my post on the previous page in which I replied to myself. That sums up my overall point perfectly.

4. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Dolphins Regret Minkah Fitzpatrick Trade, but not Laremy Tunsil

Updated March 1, 2020
    By Charlie Campbell

The Miami Dolphins started to accumulate picks for the 2020 NFL Draft during the 2019 NFL Draft, and they really put that operation into high gear during the 2019 season. At the end of training camp, they traded left tackle Laremy Tunsil to the Texans for two first-round picks and then during the season they traded safety Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers for a first-round pick. Those deals have Miami loaded up with lots of draft picks on the opening night of the draft over the next two years, but they came at a price of opening up more needs on the their roster. From speaking to sources with Miami, the team regrets the Fitzpatrick trade but does not regret the Tunsil trade.

The Fitzpatrick trade happened when the Steelers were placing quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on injured reserve, ending his season, so Miami thought the Steelers' first-round pick could end up being a top-10 selection. Fitzpatrick helped lead Pittsburgh to a number of wins, and the team almost made the playoffs, so that pick is 18th overall. Sources with the Dolphins say things got off on the wrong foott shortly after Fitzpatrick was drafted and things never got in sync for Fitzpatrick with the Miami organization. The Dolphins knew he was a good player, and in the weeks after the trade, sources say Miami regretted making the trade.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpr...nkah-Fitzpatrick-Trade,-but-not-Laremy-Tunsil

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Mehhhhhhhh...Not any different than us having Watt and Minkah...2 great pieces to have , no doubt...But to have a truly GREAT Defense, You still have to have more ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If Tuitt had played last year I think we would have had a elite defense. It will be interesting to see how fast it takes Bush to be in the great pieces conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We have the "makings" of an elite D...Watt, Minkah, Cam,Tuitt,Nelson...All very good...Haden, Bud, Alualu, Gravedigger good...Bush SHOULD be really good... That's a lot of good to very good players...

But of course the downside...Watt will need paid ALOT...What to do with Bud/ Hargrave?Will one or either still be here?...What about Alualu? Can Tuitt stay healthy? Will Bush improve like expected? Cam/ Haden getting old...

Again, Makings of a great D...But like anything...A lot of ifs, ands, and buts...And you also always need a lil bit of luck sprinkled in

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again, Minkah is MORE of an asset than Denzel Ward ever can hope to be. Minkah is a chess piece; unbound and unrestricted by one position. Denzel can only do so much on his own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Please mucky mucks shut this thread down. Minkah Fitzpatrick was worth every gamble. I will give kudos where they deserve, Colbert had the %$#&s to make the trade. Winner. Critical I have been at the lack of secondary players he has had a part in drafting. This was a slam dunk. But really folks, if Sean Davis doesn't get injured and Canaday doesn't crap the bed, I truly believe Fitzpatrick never happens. Very glad it did. Darn just when I wanted to give props to Ol Kevin.

So we have a monster secondary player. For some time. Worth every gamble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm dreaming of our past glory with some of the pieces we have... Lambert, Ham, Blount, Mean Joe...Lloyd, Greene, Woodson...Troy, Harrison, Farrior...Bush, Watt, Minkah. I'm hoping Bush becomes the major force with Watt & Minkah as his probowl sidekicks. If I had to put money on it now, Minkah will be the straw that stirs the drink.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Not all 1st round picks are the same.
    A #4 pick is worth two #18 picks.
    Miami thought they were getting a high-value pick when the Steelers were 0-2 and Ben going down.

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I would imagine the Browns would have screwed that up like they screw everything up, maybe they would have move Minkah to defensive end:hehehe:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Phenomenal move by Colbert! He sold to Miami the Steelers seasoned was doomed without Ben. They felt certain they were getting a top 5 pick. Many here probably thought so also.

So they get not only a phenomenal athlete (maybe not Rod Woodson grandeur but still able to run past both teams on an int return) << being flippant, but they also get a potential captain of this team. The guy is smart and instinctive.

He has and will continue to make everyone on this team better. He also has plenty of years left on a rookie deal which is very economical.

So yes we got a STEAL and will not miss our mid 1st round pick in this draft in the slightest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I will! I love the draft and now I have to go the entire day without seeing the Steelers do anything! But MP was well worth it:cool:

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah I was surprised with the Ward pick at 5. Thought they were getting Minkah also as he was deemed a top 5 pick by some.

So his impact level isn't a huge surprise. Everyone knows he's a phenomenal player.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well sorry man. Just think Artie Burns and you should start to feel better lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I would be willing to bet $10,000,000,000 that if the Browns had taken MP, he would be considered an average player today and I am broke! Why am I so bold? Because there is no way to know so I can never lose the bet:smiley1:

But................the Browns could make any player look bad because they don't know how to use good talent when they stumble on it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Someone needs to slip something into the Texans GM's drink to trade for TJ's big bro.

They can have sibling rivalry to who will kill the QB first.

A man can dream

• Like Like x 1
  20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Everything agreed. They're like trying to polish a turd. Glad their in our division lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    They are the turd!

If I could, I would sneak into the Browns stadium and affix a handle to the outside of the stadium which would rotate 30 degrees clockwise and play the sound of a toilet flushing every time they take the field:cool: