1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let Dupree walk!! Target TE Hunter Henry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Wow
    Wow ok, You " WIN " happy now ...Nobody is smarter than you Brah...Was just making an opinion.... Don't know what your bag is Dude

• Like Like x 1
  2. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I agree...The question was , " Who would you rather have....I would rather HAVE Henry...And hypothetically, If the Steelers brass did like Henry, There would to no need for McDonald, So him and Dupree would be gone

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    My bag is making a good argument and backing it up. I do get that it bothers some people when I ask them to actually provide support for the opinions they offer.

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    [
    Selectively backing it up may I add. And sticking to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Again, You win...Henry sucks because talking heads said he's a great blocker...Keep patting yourself on the back...

Formerscribe > Disco

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I back up what I can. When I cannot offer support and I am asked for it, I admit as much. I stick to my arguments unless new information proves otherwise. Your vague innuendo regarding how I post was dishonest and unappreciated.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never wrote that he sucks and your post is a ridiculous misrepresentation of my point. My point was that your attempt at support for your claim was that you heard some talking head say it. You can't even tell us which talking head it was. You might as well just say you made it up in your head because it has no more validity than that.

Spare me the sarcasm. Do better next time.

Henry is a good player. I don't buy this assertion about his greatness as a blocker because I've seen zero evidence to back it up. I do buy that he can't stay healthy and as a receiver, he has shown significantly less than the best tight ends in the game.

It's all a moot point, anyway, because the entire premise that the Steelers can do a sort of trade by letting Dupree walk and using the money for Henry just isn't going to happen. If Dupree walks, the Steelers have another hole to fill and they aren't signing an elite free agent for either spot. It's not what they do, especially in their current salary cap hell.

8. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Wrong as always...Henry is a great blocker, and player... YOU look it up, It's a consensus throughout the league what a great blocker he is...And as far as being injury prone....He got speared in the knee, and fractured his kneecap...You know what is an example of injury prone, McDonald...Every other week Shoulder, Quad, ankle, hamstring, concussion, back...That's injury prone...And if you had Henry, you wouldn't need/ not want McDonald...And spare me the lecture job, I was politely TRYING to tell you to shut up, But like always, You think you have to have the last word...

Oh, And let me know what the EXPERTS/ not you...Have to say about Henry's blocking, and please feel free to share

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Have you addressed the cap situation of signing all the other holes it will create if Dupree is tagged in your "good" arguments? Or do you stick to reiterating your claim on why we should tag him? Do you think that Bud has earned a $16mil tag over his career as a Steeler? I think ALL the posters would 'appreciate' a 'honest' response.

Edit: sorry scribe, I meant to respond to your remark above the one I quoted.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    This one

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have responded to most of this before. There have been detailed explanations posted by me and others of ways to clear the cap space, starting with cutting Barron and letting McDonald go.

No, I don't think he has earned $16 million for a season, but that is irrelevant. What matters is what works best for the Steelers. To me, that is keeping as much of the defense together as possible.

Again, I don't appreciate the suggestion that I give anything but honest responses. I don't always post nice responses, but that's a different matter entirely.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Prove me wrong then. You have had days to provide some evidence that he is a great blocker now and you haven't done it. That's your claim. You back it up. If you can't, admit as much and move on. You let us know what the experts say about Henry's blocking. You're the one claiming they say he is a great blocker, yet I don't see you supporting that claim with anything.

Both players are injury prone. The injuries just keep happening. You can make all the excuses you want for Henry, but he still hasn't played 16 games in an NFL season yet.

Henry is a very talented player. but some people on this thread are vastly overrating him, which is funny because he seems very unlikely to end up a Steeler anyway.

Your "wrong as always" comment was funny. You can't back that one up, either, but I'm sure it won't stop you from repeating it over and over again.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s a lot to unpack in this thread. We’re discussing multiple positions on both sides of the ball, how the Steelers operate in free agency/contract negotiations, and @Formerscribe is doing his thing, treating message board bantering like the grading of term papers, passing out D and F grades for other posters’ failures to include complete bibliographies with footnoted citations and statistical data to back up every opinion. Ahh message board fun.... Anyway, some of my OPINIONS on the matters are below.

1. Bud Dupree is Robin, not Batman. He’s a solid football player, and is more versatile as a 3-4 edge than many give him credit for (the position has responsibilities that go beyond rushing the passer). However, we’re at a decision point where retaining him likely requires paying Robin like Batman, at the risk of not being able to sign Batman later. For that reason I would not award him a long term deal that pays him what his 2019 sack totals say he’s worth. To my eyes he benefited immensely from pass blocking that was focused on his teammates. Put another way, his teammates made him better, not the other way around.
    2. As for tagging Dupree, it’s not my preferred course of action because when I play around with the numbers I have to make several hard choices to retain Bud at $16 million. Guys like Feiler, Hilton, McDonald, and Finney become difficult to retain. Tagging Bud exacerbates issues we have elsewhere. Yes, failing to tag Bud eliminates a quality edge guy, and our defense will feel that. However, tagging him affects multiple other positions on both sides of the ball.
    3. Hunter Henry is a good player, but signing him at market value would be uncharacteristic for the Steelers. He will be sought after, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see his contract exceed the Spotrac prediction by 20% or more.
    4. I think Henry is a good blocker. I haven’t watched him extensively as a pro, but I pimped him as a prospect a few years back, and watched a ton of college film. I remember debating people on this board, and pointing out - based on film - that he had a very high success rate in run blocking, even though he didn’t “seem” to be that great as a blocker because he wasn’t pancaking people. Based on my film assessment of him as a prospect, and various “talking heads” extolling his virtues as a blocker at the NFL level, I’ll comfortably state my opinion that he is a good blocker.
    5. I would love to have a two tight end stable of McDonald and Henry. They’re both true TEs who can be credible receiving threats and effective run blockers. I am a huge fan of having the matchup options that come from being able to put two guys like that on the field in 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TEs, 2 WRs). It opens up the ability to create mismatches in both the run and pass game depending on what personnel grouping the defense counters with.

I had more to say, but I need to get to work....

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    To be fair, dishonesty didn't cross my mind until you perceived it. & we are all selective in our arguments, some more than others. ;)
    Personally I think keeping Barron would help our defense stay the course better over keeping Bud, & I don't even think we can afford him this coming year. Hargraves will be the hard one to replace imo.

15. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    https://boltbeat.com/2019/09/11/chargers-lose-hunter-henry/

16. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Screenshot_2020-02-25-07-47-10-1.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-25-07-47-10-1.png

17. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    https://www.chargers.com/video/coach-lynn-on-hunter-henry-s-exceptional-blocking-ability

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Enough Scribe, Or more? Why is your purpose on here to ' try " to prove people wrong...Does that make you feel Superior to everyone else, smarter, everything has to be a pissing match with you if somebody takes a different stance than yours... Ta

20. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I've noticed this with teachers in general. Most of us work with, and are responsible to, people with high levels of education who have proven their worth in business; often CEO's, CFO's, VP's, etc. These people, although they can be complete asses at times, are responsible for huge budgets and many people. Teachers work with children who are yet to be educated, yet to make their first dime, and responsible to no-one. When teachers try to interact in the real world, they tend to hand out grades and demean others because that's what they've become accustomed to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Hargrave's snap count would decrease significantly if Tuitt returns. He didn't play nearly as much as Dupree last season even after Tuitt got hurt. That alone limits his impact.

The only thing retaining Barron does in terms of staying the course is keeping quarterbacks from going after other guys on that defense because it is too easy to go after Barron's man.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you for sharing your ignorance regarding teachers. You really think teachers demean their students? If I demeaned my students, I'd be unemployed very quickly.

I thought I was posting with adults who might actually be able to handle it when I tell them they made their point badly. It is part of rhetoric, pointing out where the opposition failed to make a point. When i write that a poster didn't support his argument, that's a part of supporting mine.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    His coach praised his blocking and that makes him the best blocking tight end in the league? Are you going to quote his mother next?

Wasn't the claim that he is the best blocking tight end in the league? Funny, even your second-hand information from PFF doesn't support that.

He's not a top three tight end in the league. Seven NFL tight ends had more receptions and more yardage than Henry last season, when he set career highs in both. Funny, I don't hear about him being a one-year wonder even though he hadn't really done much before that, but that is the knock on Dupree.

I never said the guy wasn't a good blocker. I questioned the hyperbole about him being the best in the game, which clearly isn't supported by the evidence provided on this thread.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Fact, not ignorance.

But in the process, you treat other adults as if they were children who need the benefit of your wisdom; when in fact most of us interact with adults 24/7.

• Agree Agree x 2