1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Sails

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good stuff, Ray :drinks:

I wonder how far they will deviate from Blackbeards history. He's a great character, I liked his bird story and Charles answer, dinner :lolol:

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    You must have missed my summation of the last episode on the last page. :)

Now onto the latest episode.

I'm not convinced it was Max who screwed them over by blocking Featherstone's message. I mean, it makes sense. But then... IDK. Just doesn't feel right. Maybe Idelle? But why?

That English crew said "Negan? That's cute. We'll see your bat and raise you a hammer. A very large sledge hammer. And a huge flipping guy to wield it. Oh, and we'll give you a chance <snicker>." It was hard watching Anne there. I mean, sure, she's a badass. But she knew her odds were very slim either way. She just knew that even if they were taken to Port Royal, they'd all hang anyway. Might as well go down swinging. But wow, did she take some hard shots. Her gurgling gasp has me worried. Eh, she'll probably pull through, or they'd just have her die right there.

You have to give Billy some credit. He's got some huge brass ones to act like everything's cool and try to play "equal leadership." AND to try to put a wedge into Flint's alliance in his FACE! I mean, he's not very bright. But he has chutzpah. Too bad his idiocy just created a 3rd faction on the island. A dangerous one too. (The beginning of the Maroon rebellion?)

Thomas. Hamilton. Say what? He might still be alive? This man runs whatever the place is "somewhere north of Florida." We know Flint ends up in Savannah, Georgia from Treasure Island. Is this why? And what the hell is Flint thinking? You're going to trade away your only piece of power for an easy, but ultimately empty victory??? So what if they leave! You have NOTHING after they're gone to rebuild, or bargain with. You're a sitting duck to the Spanish, or the next English wannabe Governor. You have no ships left. That gold was your trump card. Unless he's trying to get inside to do damage there, I don't see how he sees this as anything but losing position and power.

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    DAMN! I did miss your summation but I also missed that episode :lolol:

That sucks but I guess we knew he'd die with this being the last season.

Im out of sequence here, just saw the latest episode tonight. Yeah, that was tough to watch with Anne, hope thats not the end of her, that one shot to the ribs that flipped her was brutal.

No way is Flint giving up the treasure, he has something else in mind, he knows that treasure is the key to making this whole plan work.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Holy! Madi AND Elenor, I did not see that coming.

However, I am always suspicious when you dont actually see a character die, so Im not so sure about Madi.

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed on Madi. Unless my original assumption in season 1 of Max ending up being Silver's wife is true...

Flint had some mercy lying to Eleanor.

So pirates are coming in from all over the Atlantic seaboard. Slave rebellions taking place in many places and all flocking to them. The war isn't over yet. Well, we know they can't win. Not in any way that would be a true victory (Independence and sole ownership of New Providence). It wouldn't be historically accurate at all, but more importantly, they have to scatter for Treasure Island to take place. But it's all in the details. Perhaps, even in defeat, they can strike a telling blow. And we know the Maroons eventually DO win freedom and their own place.

The end is quickly approaching. It won't be a happy one. Bittersweet is my guess.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Im guessing Eleanors grandfather is some powerful influence? But why leave in secrecy? Why not let the others in on it?

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Well...

Not at all how I thought the conflict would resolve. At least not the "war." I'm going to have to digest this for a bit.

Flint in Savannah. Although the reveal about Thomas was a bit anti-climatic. I half expected some tragic end there with Thomas, and Flint to start drinking, since Treasure Island says he died of alcoholism in Savannah a few years before the story begins.

And why did they leave out the whole part about a MAP?!?! I guess they figured that Treasure Island already filled in a few gaps.

We finally see Mary Read. I loved that Anne immediately knew what she was and Jack was clueless. The sad thing is, their fate is sealed. Not a true happy ending when their days are numbered. Ok, a year or so anyway. And we finally get to see Rackham's Skull and crossed swords. Would have been nice if someone at some point gave him his "Calico" nickname.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt read your post above because I am several episodes behind, last one I saw was Eleanor dying.

On my list to watch next.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Since I didn't have TV or internet for a couple months I bought all of the seasons for this show except the last one (it wasn't out). So I haven't read pages 4 and 5 yet lol! I kept trying to get the discs on Netflix but for some reason it never happened...

But they film in South Africa according to one of the special features. Eleanor is an Australian actress IIRC.

Great show though, I defeated the purpose of getting all the seasons so I could watch 1 or 2 each night but would binge watch 3 or 4 :lolol:. I too, have liked the evolution of John Silver's character, especially when he would stomp his feet/foot to read the news of the day.

The special features for each season were really good, showed how they all went through physical training, training with swords, etc. Good thread, wish I would've watched sooner so I could've chimed in..

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I totally forgot to talk about the last episode with Ray! It was a great show.

I only had a couple complaints, the first was writing off Gates, should have had him for more seasons and the other was Vane. Where are you with Vane? Dont want to ruin anything.

I have one more but its the last season so I'll wait until you binge watch that one lol.

@Ray D , using the spoiler tag, were you satisfied with that ending?

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    If you see above, I already gave some brief thoughts about the finale without being too spoilery. That said, @turtle probably shouldn't read this page.

Short answer: I was ok with it. I just wish they didn't have to rush to the end. I would've liked to have seen what they would've done had they been able to do the show for 5 seasons like originally planned.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, yes, I see that I skipped that post originally because I wasnt caught up. I didnt scroll past Trurtles thread when he re-upped this.

I felt the same, had to digest it and agree overall with your assessment.

I dont think I knew there was supposed to be another season, was it ratings or production cost that killed it? Thats too bad.

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Both. That and it's STARZ. They don't have deep pockets (yet) and have a history of cutting things short.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Just thought of another dislike. Watching an early episode right now, they never should have changed Eleanors story arch.

She was great when she was on Flints side.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So Finally watched the entirety of Season 4.

Loved it when Cpt Berringer's end came. what a prick haha

Wasn't sure what they were trying to get at with Billy Bones washing up on shore at Skeleton Island, unless to say his final ending was being marooned there. Maybe keeping something alive for a future show???

Some bad decision making by the pirates in some of battles but I understand the show needed to continue. Pirates could have ended it way sooner.

Great show overall though. Sad its over.