1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest news on CBA agreement:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Feb 22, 2020.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The division winners automatically make the playoffs. A division winner would not be a 7 seed. Having a 7 seed is letting potentially loosing teams who should not be there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Complain all you want this has been coming for a while. Originally they were going to shoot for an 18 game schedule. Even with the 17 game the rosters will have to be increased which is a positive.

It's ALL about the money, selling the drama and keeping the fantasy football all a buzz. The game has changed from back in the day. Do I like the product oversaturated? Hell NO. I rarely watch any of the pre game shows, NFL Network or ESPN. I have limited interest in watching if it's not the Steelers playing. I listen to Pittsburgh's 93.7 The Fan on Radio.com. I'm not interested in fantasy football. I'm Old School. No apologies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Gameday player expansion a part of the proposed new CBA....

"According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, 53-man rosters would become 55-man rosters, 48 players would be gameday active instead of 46, and practice squads would increase by two players this year and two more players in 2020."

Also proposed is an extra O linemen who can be brought in with an injury. Like the 3rd QB option in past years, this player would not count against the 48 active and could only be brought in as a last option.

I like the expansion, just think it should expand to 50 for gameday, especially with an expanded season.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  4. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    There is a point to be made about the structure of divisions. I know the 7th team may allow a 7-9 team in, probably more likely to be 8-8. In all fairness, the division controversy could be removed if you just separated the AFC and NFC (no divisions), like the NHL. Playoffs would be determined on record alone.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I like the rivalry part of divisions better than most aspects of the NFL. Not being able to win the SB consistently gives the season much more enjoyment for me with the divisional format.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That's not true, there are two divisions in each conference in the NHL and the top three teams in each division go. And then the final two teams are the two with the best "conference" record.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I just watched Golic & Wingo and what we thought was going to be a slam dunk deal is now going back for negotiation.

They said the players fall into three categories on the addition of the 17th game:
    1. Players who will never vote for it.
    2. Players who will accept it if the pay is right.
    3. Players who will simply accept it.
    Come on NFLPA......vote it down!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This simply isn't true. At worst only 30% of the time would an 8-8 team make the playoffs and 0% of the time would a team with a losing record be the 7th playoff team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    After looking at that tweet, I think they should call the 7th seed "The Tomlin Seed", we would have all gotten to see 4 more Steeler games.

Tomlin's mediocrity would be rewarded big time!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    17 game season just means the Steelers would have another week to give us all indigestion.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I liked the idea of an 18 game season, and elimination of two of the pre-season games.

I also think an 18 game season should come with two bye weeks during the year for teams.

17 weeks sounds weird on an odd number.

But I keep hearing that it will be the same number of home games if 17 weeks, I was reading that one week will be a neutral site for each team

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Or they could call it the Tomlin Rule

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s a prime number. Prime numbers bother me.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    More international games?

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The reality that it is possible.
    I don't think an 8-8 team should qualify for the playoffs. Increase the number of games and an 8-9 team could make the playoffs.

16. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    You are right - I stand corrected (not sure what I was thinking). I guess where I was headed was we have 8 divisions of 4 teams. In this format, their are times (albeit more infrequently) where a 9 or 10 win team gets left out.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    That be my guess, each team will play in Canada, Mexico, Europe. I think.

18. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    No, it is practically impossible even with a 17 game schedule. There have only ever been 4 teams to qualify for the playoffs with a losing record and two of them happened in the 1982 strike shortened season when the NFL had a 16 team playoff tournament. So in reality it's only happened twice, 2010 and 2015. And the 2010 Seahawks actually won their WC game. If anything an expanded playoffs would have been beneficial to the two 7th seed teams in 2010 and 2015 who didn't make it because the division winners had losing records.

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not impossible. It can happen. I'm not a fan of those scenarios. I'm not a fan of teams with .500 records or losing records making the playoffs. All that stats in the world are not going to change my opionion. What more can I say?

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We already have one of those:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok I'm all for the players getting a little bit more cheddar but you will forgive if I say Bullspit on them getting worked up about a 17th game. It's all semantics. In reality you are already playing 20 games with four of them not really counting and help you towards being a vested player in the union.

I don't buy the getting hurt or wear and tear angle either. You can get hurt standing on the sideline next to Tomlin in week 4 of th ed preseason, could get stabbed at a gas station or ride your new motorcycle without a helmet and crash into a car. As far as wear and tear if you aren't in the playoffs then 17 weeks should be that hard, if you are playing then you are ready and what's the difference between week 17 aches and pains and OTA's aches and pains? Just as likely go suffer a non contact soft tissue injury after months of inactivity as you are after 4 months of typical football activity.

My two cents take the game, embrace it and start working on compensation because that is where the debate really is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    i'm not a fan of the extra playoff team...… don't need to be rewarding teams for mediocrity..
    as for the 17 game season, I also say no...… you can't say that you stress player safety and then tell them we're making you play an extra game... if you want to extend the season, then give each team an extra bye week

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Steelers’ Maurkice Pouncey posts profanity-laced tirade against proposed NFL CBA

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Wednesday, February 26, 2020

It’s fair to say that Maurkice Pouncey is against the proposed collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and its players.

In a 43-second, not-safe-for-work video message posted to his verified Instgram account Wednesday, Pouncey blasted the proposal that was ratified by the league’s owners and has been sent to a vote by rank-and-file players this week.

A veteran center and the Pittsburgh Steelers’ third-longest tenured player, Pouncey cursed about a dozen times while speaking while driving shirtless down a street with blue skies and palm trees.

“They ain’t looking out for the best of the players,” Pouncey said, referring to NFLPA leadership. “If you all want my vote, the Pouncey twins vote no.”

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/steeler...anity-laden-message-against-proposed-nfl-cba/

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And people wonder why the general public sees NFL players as buffoons? :smiley1:

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ve done Union contract negotiations many times as an owner. Never has the wants of the senior members matched those of the younger members.