1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rare beer tasting today! Can't wait!

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Stone, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Any craft beer snobs here?

I joined Hoppin Frog's rare beer club and am going to the kick -off party today and I can't wait.

Hoppin Frog makes some of the best barrel aged stouts in the world and their owner is extremely creative.

A chance to sample rare beers, light appetizers, and BS with other beer snobs.....yee haw!

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Not a snob, but I do love trying different beers. Sounds like fun. I haven't been to a beer fest in over a year.

What I really wish I could go to is a whiskey fest. ;) (Either they're too far away, too expensive for me, or I can't get time off so far).

The wife planned a trip with some friends to the evil empire this fall (New England. Salem and Boston specifically). A stop by Trillium was the bargain I made to go. :lolol: I'm still working on us detouring to Hill Farmstead on the way home. ;)

3. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Just looked at Hoppin Frog's beer list and spotted one I'd kill to try: Scotch Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout. (aged in unspecified Islay scotch barrels)

Goose Island made an imperial stout aged in Ardbeg bottles a while back that was fantastic.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Jack’s Abby Framinghammer. It’s a bourbon barrel aged Baltic Porter, 10% ABV.

Ray, it’s made in Massachusetts, so you may find it on your New England trip. It’s a great beer if you like ‘em dark.

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I love Baltic Porters, so I'll definitely look for that one. Thanks for the tip.

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I had high hopes for this one as well as it was one of theirs I had never tried. It evoked the most vile reaction a beer snob can have.....I had to flush it! It was horrible! I tried letting it warm up but it just had to go. It was like a sip of stout followed by a healthy lick of a two day old ashtray.

I hope you get to try some of the best beers in the world while you are in NE. They have them!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hoppin Frog makes some of the best stouts in the world and they have a ton of barrel aged stuff which is my favorite. Their lack of distribution, failure to date their bottles, and weird labeling keeps them from being as well recognized as they could be.

I'm sure a trade could be worked out with someone who can get the good stuff at Dancing Gnome:hehehe:

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Then it's right up my alley. :lolol:

I'm a sucker for Islay scotches.

aviary-image-1539405171332.jpeg

That's the one Goose Island did. And for you, it probably would've evoked the same reaction. ;)

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Damn, that picture belongs in my man-cave.

I don't know about the beer, I've had scotch barrel aged stuff and liked it. This was just too much dank, dark, nasty, smoke.

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes, but what kind of scotch? Scotch has a very wide range of styles. Islay scotches in general tend to be very heavy with smoke and peat. There are exceptions of course, but when most scotch drinkers think Islay, they're thinking of that heavy smokey, savory, briney, almost meaty flavor. Like a BBQ on the beach.

Something aged in a Highland or Speyside style scotch would be fruitier and sweeter with far less if any smoke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The love of my life has me driving all over NYS and Northern PA to look at weird stuff (and there’s a lot of weird stuff). She finds it, and the first thing she says after where it is is that “there’s a brewery 10 minutes away”. I’m a sucker for a new brewery. We’be Driven 8 hours in a day, but we always find one or two new breweries.

And if any of you are ever in the Catskills, find your way to Westkill Brewery. Great beer, great atmosphere. And weekend Taco trucks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011

Beer and Laphroig? 16 Oz Delminico, hand sliced au gratin potatoes, pan fried brussel sprouts. The gods would be give up immortality for that.

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed on everything but the Devil's Cabbage. :lolol:

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Sound like you guys need to come to Hoppin Frog before they kill that keg!

15. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Any chance they can move it to a state that doesn’t have Cleveland in it?

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    :smiley1: Just like everything else in life, you just have to know how to make lemonade out of lemons:hehehe: For example, living in this area provides me with a "LOT" of free beer every year. Just get a Browns fan talking about the Browns and you can soon have them willing to bet you the Browns will win the division, if not the Super Bowl.

Besides, it's only an hour inside the border and it's an hour south of Cleveland, you will barely get any smell on you.:drinks: