1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest news on CBA agreement:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I hope the players don't agree to a 17 game schedule and to increase the number of playoff teams to 14.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If the compensation increased for playing a 17th game the players would accept it, it's all about the money dont you know? And adding a 7 seed is no big deal, the only teams that it hurts is the 2 seed in each conference doesnt get a bye week since they have to play the 7 seed........

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think the players will vote yes to accept the proposal. The delay in voting is simply to try and get more revenue sharing out of the owners before Tuesday's vote.
    The proposal was for the players to receive "at least" 48% of the revenue. So of course they aren't going to accept 48%, they are going to use these next 3 days to try and get up to 50% of the revenue. 2% doesn't sound like much, but when you are talking about billions of dollars it is an awful lot of money.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. The NFL is set to negotiate its next TV contracts, and it’s in the interest of all parties to get the deal sealed by then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm all in for a 17 game season and a 14 team playoff. More football from my perspective as a fan is a great thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    They need to get at a 6.25% raise (1/16th) or it isn't worth the shortening of their career. I heard that is was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 percent?

I hate it all!:smiley1:

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Along with the 17 game season. The NFL is proposing adding an additional bye week and eliminating a pre-season game. I'm not one that buys into the notion that this would endanger the players or shorten careers. It's more meaningful football for the fans. At the end of the day these players are entertainers, and entertaining the fans is why they make the large sums of money that they make. I am all for the players getting a larger share of the money. A 50/50 split between the NFL and the players seems fair especially since there is more money to be made with the additional games.

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I liked the good old days when there were 3 divisions and ONE wildcard. That wildcard meant something.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The compensation appears to increase every year regardless of the number of games.

The large majority of players don't see the fruits of that compensation. Playing more games will definitely have more of an impact on certain positions. Is the reward of a little bit more money really worth the impact that another game might have on a players' career? I don't think so.

A 17th game increases the risk of injury for players. As a result, that will probably have an impact on the overall quality of a team.

A 7th seed is a big deal for me. I am not a fan of a 8-8, 8-9, 7-10 team possibly making the playoffs.

It isn't about the players. It isn't about the fans. It's about the greedy owners trying to suck every dollar out of the networks and fans that they can. Greed is the most disappointing part in all of this. As if the owners don't make enough money. I can see myself becoming more of a passive fan if these changes happen. I don't think more football is better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    What makes the NFL different from the NBA, MOB and NHL is that every game is an event. Dilute that by adding more games will hurt the league

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

More games does not necessarily mean more interest. For that matter, given how some games were lopsided last season, that makes matters worse. The best objective would be to reshuffle some of the current scheduling that takes place.

Example?! Like I have been saying since it's inception, have teams take their bye and play that subsequent Thursday Night Football game soon there after. Stop having teams play two games in one go. The human body simply is not capable of recovering that fast from such a violent sport anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Owners killing the golden goose. :mad:
    Teams won't have to worry about post season play until what, Game 11 on the schedule? :puking 3:
    The first 10 will be like preseason.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That and the travel to Europe is just ridicules. The extra game, while I think it stupid does not bother me as much as the scheduling of Thursday games. Another thing lost is those fringe players not being able to showcase in the preseason. I would say most rosters are set by the 2nd pre game, and 4 is to many. They are still at three with this proposal, but I have no doubt they want to get it to 2 and extend the season to 18. This really gives little time to evaluate those on the fringe, those guys who pop under the lights and are quality players in time.

Another thing I have not even heard is expanding the game day to say 50 and only scratching 3, this means more substitution and less snaps per game which adds up over a long year. While I doubt the players would go with roster expansion (less revenue for them), allowing teams to 'freeze' 4 or 5 PS players for the year would allow mean greater chance to develop those players in your system and not lose them to another team. perhaps those player could receive a greater stipend per week which really would not affect cap space that much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. decalbomb777

decalbomb777 Active Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Agreed...More football = happier me..

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you don’t win your division, you shouldn’t be in the playoffs. 8 playoff teams. No wild cards. No bye week.

• Like Like x 4
  17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I like the thought, but there is one problem with that. On occasion, the second best team or even the best team in the conference could end up a wildcard. This happens when the two best teams are in the same division or in the case a team had a slow start for whatever reason then finished the season on fire. We won a Super Bowl as a wildcard and everyone knew we were better than the Bungles that year as we were road favorites playing them. It`s good to have at least one wildcard and I can live with two, but they should leave it be IMO. With four divisions, I guess they had to go with two, but now they are getting greedy if they add more.

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    These are always division winners coming out of weak divisions; are you suggesting not letting teams that have won their division into the Playoffs?

Throw out the idea of Divisions and just have the best teams in the conference make the playoffs?

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am curious to see what the new CBA is going to do with rookie contracts. The last one took all the money away from the rookies,by forcing them to sign league imposed contracts.

Good news if they can get this done quickly, the Steelers will be back in business of signing contract extensions that do not have to follow the 2020 30% rule.

20. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    8-8 teams would still make the playoffs. Take a look at past records. Add another game and it will be possible for teams with losing records to make the playoffs.

The Steelers finished 8-8 last season. They would had made the playoffs as the 7th team.

Overall I think these changes would drag down the quality of the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The Thursday night to follow a bye seems to be a no-brainer to me, they probably don't do this because it would put garbage teams on prime time and would cost them money. Although the Thursday night games were garbage anyway?

The scheduling ends up being a mess because teams we thought would be good go in the ****ter and vice-versa.

Can you imagine what the NFL will be in 20 years?

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I may be wrong, but do not think that is how this works. If this new proposal is approved and accepted it would not become active until the 2021 NFL year. The current rules would still be in place for this year.

As for rookie contracts I have not heard anything, but I did hear the minimum would raise between 25 to 40 %, which is a pretty big jump for a lot of players still on their first contracts.

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I tend to agree, but Will Cain looked back over the past decade and it was actually an equal % of teams that were 8-8 and those with more than 10 wins who missed the p/o's and would have been in with an extra team. So I guess it's the glass half empty/full kind of thing. I hate mediocrity, yet I also hate 10 and 11 win teams not making the playoffs when lessor teams do.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Even more than it already is?:smiley1: The quality of this league is lower than the alcohol in my fathers watered down whiskey when I was in high school!:smiley1:

25. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It can get worse.