1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Easiest, hardest strength of schedule for 2020, steelers, ravens easiest:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, his legacy lives on and that is exactly what the problem is. We'll go 6-3-1 and finish 2-4 ending up 8-7-1 and missing the playoffs once again. And what if we do miss the playoffs 3 years in a row, what will your bank be willing to say about that?

2. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    This team is trending down over the past few years since we blew the Jags game at home with a bye to prepare. Each succeeding year we start off a little less talented than the year before and we win less games as a result. I say that trend continues because there isn't anything that makes me think differently. Hoping, wishing, wanting, praying that we get better is nice but our QBs, OL, cap room, draft capital, and coaching are real concerns and they are not aligned with this team getting to the playoffs. Plus, if we get on that stupid HBO programs, you can stick a fork in the 2020 season as far what history has shown regarding the quality of former participating teams and winning the SB. Don't like being negative so early into looking at the next season but it is what it is to me. Hope I am AFU but don't think so.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Is this your prediction, 8-7-1 + missing the playoffs? All will be Tomlin's fault? Noted.
    Whose fault will it be if we make the playoffs? Win a playoff game? Is that on Tomlin too? Ben doesn't have it anymore, let's blame Tomlin. Defense ****s the bed this year? Wheres our scapegoat? Maybe you should reevaluate your expectations of what Tomlin is capable of. His legacy is a fact that some of you are ashamed of, want to bash...holding us back from SBs, rriiigghhttt...
    Anybody that has taken the time to review what actually holds us back year to year might disagree with your assessment. Yes Tomlin is a factor but who would have done better? Who has done better?

Edit: if my bank was into speculation, they would study & project the possibilities, ultimately putting our money on making the playoffs.
    Odds say that Ben plays
    Odds say that Ben always makes the playoffs
    Odds say that our defense has improved
    Odds say that prima-donna offensive weapons rarely bring home the hardware
    Odds say that our division is a cakewalk other than the Raisins

Things do change but I like agreeing with the odds.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  4. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, that is my prediction from what I know right now. Whether we go 16-0 or 0-16, the HC is responsible for what the team does or fails to do. That is what leadership is. Leaders take what their teams does and fixes what needs to be fixed and not find ways to put the blame on someone or something else. So yes, if Ben doesn't have it anymore, why are we not prepared with competent back ups or even a QB coach to get them prepared. We have one now but why not before. My post was looking at the trend we are currently on and assessing what I think that means to me. Also, the odds mean zip or the Rats would have won the SB>

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree with not having a true QB coach but I think Tomlin would have had to pay him out of his own pocket before they seen the light last year. As far as a competent backup, Mason fills that void imo.
    Tomlin has always accepted the blame. I believe he is aware of his limitations & is thankful for the structure around him that contributed to his success. Chances are that he isn't a top 25 coach under a different franchise.
    Was you rolling with the Rats to win it all last year? I had my doubts & didn't go with the odds on that one. Didn't agree with the Saints representing the NFC either.

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is really a good interaction fellas!

I agree that the buck has to stop with Tomlin, as it does with every head coach. And unless you believe that Tomlin is working in a hostile environment, placed on him by Art II, he has to take the blame for the lack-luster performance when we had uber-talented teams. You have to place the blame on him for the absurd handling of AB, as well as Bell and Bryant. You have to place the blame on him for Futchner and the lack of supporting coaches to help Futchner. We all know about Tomlin's poor clock management and his poor challenge choices.

At the same time that you have to blame Tomlin for those things, you have to give him credit for "always" representing the Steelers in a respectable way during press conferences, standing behind his players, and not bringing embarrassment to the team..........other than what he is here for and that is to win football games.

A lot of the diametrically opposed opinion on Tomlin has to do with the reputation of the Steelers organization. He maintains all of the Steeler traditions of huge respect in the league, first class operation, keeping our dirty laundry in house, only time will tell if the loss of the tradition of "winning" is his fault, or Art II's.

7. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I haven't given up on MR or even the Duck because of the circumstances that they played under. MT is a respectable coach but at the end of the day, its only one thing most people will evaluate him on, wins. The debate on this board seem to be how many wins is acceptable and are expectations set responsibly. That is an individual dynamic and no one is right or wrong. My point was how we're trending and over the recent years we get into a position to do something and then fall apart at the end. I see nothing as of now that changes that. Ben back is good but how do you think he would have done if he stayed all of 2019 after the small sample size he gave us before going IR? I had more confidence starting last year than this year based on what is real right now. The draft, FA's signings or releases, etc can change a lot of things but we don't know that right now. As far as the Rats, I felt they had a good shot as anyone to go the distance although I believe Jackson is overrated but decent.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think that is the key. I see a lot of people on this board who seem to have that mentality of someone who hasn't experienced winning. They judge Tomlin against the rest of the league and not against the Steelers pedigree. I hear people say, in defense of Tomlin, "hey how would you like to have so-and-so" judging Tomlin against the dregs of the league. Very few coaches have EVER been given what Tomlin has been given; and that's what he needs to be judged on.

I judge Tomlin against two things 1. The talent he has to work with, and 2. The Steelers pedigree. He gets a C-, average is not acceptable based on the circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin is right there with Cowher & Noll in win %. He hasn't had the defensive juggernauts that those two built though.

Oh, & he went to 2 SBs with what he was given. Too bad he sucks at defensive draft evaluations. & them damn hybrid dreams of his.

Overall I give him a B
    Noll an A+
    Cowher an A-

Rooneys?
    The Chief - A
    for sticking it out when they were the laughing stock of the league

Dan- A++
    Nobody better imo

Art jr- incomplete
    We'll see

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    All true but there is one point missing which means a great deal.....to me. Tomlin took over a ready to win Super Bowl contender, Noll took over garbage and Cowher took over a team that was in a seven year quagmire because the game had passed Noll by. Factor that in and Tomlin's win % pales by comparison to Noll or Cowher.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Nice spin on it. :thumbs_up:
    I like it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The term "spin" when used in such a context usually means avoidance of the truth by diversion or misdirection? I thought what I posted was plain and simple fact:shrug:

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    shutterstock_220575397.jpg

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1