1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What will Ben do after he retires?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Hunting?

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Coaching?

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Invisible family man?

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Ben will take care of is O linemen.

2. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I really don't care, frankly. Look, I've been a Steeler fan since the early '70's. It seems to me that a lot of people posting on here are more Ben fans, than Steeler fans. Some seem to think that Ben will play forever, that there was no football in Pittsburgh before BB. He's a Steeler QB, he "was" good (not so sure about that anymore, I think his time has come and gone), and there were QB's before him and there are soon to be QB's after him. I'm waiting to see how many "Ben fans" desert once he's gone. I've never seen such "man love" in my life. "How's Ben's Arm?" "Is Ben Gonna Be Back?" "What Did Ben Have For Breakfast?" "What's Ben's Favorite Color?" Getting ridiculous, imho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I too have been a fan since 1970 but you gotta be honest about some things:
    1. The football of the 70's is prehistoric due to the changes the NFL has made.
    2. Since the 70's the Steelers "never" really had a QB you could have faith in.
    3. Since the 70's, the only thing you could get excited about was a couple of our defenses.
    4. Ben is probably the best QB the Steelers have ever had.
    5. Ben is still better than 80% of the QB's in the league.
    6. Without Ben, we have little to no chance of making the playoffs.
    7. Without Ben, Steeler games are relegated to simply watching to see how the D plays and see if they can somehow pull out a win despite the horribly frustrating offense.
    But other than that, I agree 100%:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Whose your guy? Mayfield? While we're on the subject, do you like any Steelers? People here are just rolling with the punches.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe it's MR? I met a guy in September who said he was a Steeler fan and said he wanted Ben to retire or get hurt because MR was going to be a HOF'r. I saw him a few weeks ago and presented with him an official "pink slip" saying he was no longer welcome in Steeler Nation:smiley1: Most of his family Are Browns fans so I guess his football IQ was inherited.

6. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    Read my post again. I don't have a "guy". I have a team. I don't dislike Ben. I just don't think he's the entire Steeler team, and the world will come to an end when he's gone, like some apparently do.

In reply to Stone's #5. No way is Ben better than 80% of the QB's in the NFL right now. JMHO,
    we're all allowed those, ya know.

If you read my other posts, you'll see that I thought we should start looking for BB's replacement last year. I don't think any of the current QB's on the team are the answer.

7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yeah he forgot all about the Ben is done, overrated, we need to move on, rapist, bad person posts that accompany the Ben love. Ol washed up Big boy brought the Lombardi back to Pittsburgh, yeah let's rain on that parade.

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Be honest, your ready to show him the door. Nothing wrong with that. Also it's kinda hard to find positiveness about the Steelers as a team at the moment. Let's gripe about our lack of draft picks this year. Damn you Ben.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    How long do you think a 38 year old (in a couple weeks) QB with a bum elbow can play? And how good do you think he's gonna be?

Look, I'm taking nothing away from BB. HOF in his future. But, c'mon man, the window on his career is quickly closing, and you all think he's got years to play yet. I don't get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Personally I think he has something left. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed, kind of like that one poster who keeps going on and on about 8-8.
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Good to see Ben taking Duck under his wing!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I get that you have "a team" but we as Steeler fans are used to being in the playoffs and often going deep. Any of us who want to enjoy football in 2020 are relying on Ben for the simple reason that the Defense is looking great but are a complete waste without an offense and Ben is our "only" offense. I can't argue that we could have done something a couple years ago but what if Ben didn't get hurt in week two and played well and we made a deep run in the playoffs? He lead the league in passing in 2018 for pity sake! It's not like he has been going downhill over the last couple years. Then a big time draft pick two years ago would have been a complete waste.

Having the answer to know the exact time to pull the trigger on replacing a HOF QB would be worth billions!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is a knee-jerk reaction to an unfortunate injury. I agree he's old, and defying odds, but there is absolutely zero evidence that he is washed up. Ben lead the league in passing in 2018, he was injured in week two of 2019. To act like he has been steadily going downhill for a while is silly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Contemplate how many SBs TOMLIN cost him

16. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Hhmmmm.... zero.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I have to disagree here. I believe Tomlin cost the Steelers multiple opportunities during Ben's years, particularly during the 3B's era. Tomlin's coddling of AB and mis-handling of Martavis Bryant, Bell, and AB, combined with being soundly outcoahced against the Jags and Patriots cost us a LOT!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  19. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He will be out of it for one year then try to make a comeback with the XFL. If lightning strikes, he will outplay Landry and have him as a backup again

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I would bet anything you want against that. Ben isn't going to explore the XFL:cool:

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Bens going to be the spokesman for Spalding tennis balls......

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I can't see a Ben doing TV. I don't think he's interested and I doubt his insight would be that 'insightful'. Example QB under pressure throws the ball away, Ben comment would be I'd run around till the WR got open. You'd get that 10 times a game.

I doubt he'd be much of a coach either.

I could see him doing some happy talk Steelrr promo, with someone like Pompieani. Where he gives his detached view of what's right or wrong with the Stillers, softball commentary where the check cashes.

Other than that, he manages his investments outside the public eye, says little, but rah rah when he does. He'll show up for all the tribute days, with a fake tear in his eye.

23. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Post Retirement, Ben will be that unexpected "hand up" to a homeless Antonio Brown.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm honestly curious. You say Ben isn't better than 80%, 20% would be 6.4 QB's. Who are the 7 QB's in the NFL you believe are better than Ben?

I see these in no particular order:
    1. Mahomes
    2. Brady
    3. Rodgers
    4. Wilson
    5. Watson.....maybe, not sold yet
    6. Brees .....is really good with stats

25. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018

1) Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens
    2) Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
    3) Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs
    4) Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans
    5) Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings
    6) Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
    7) Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles
    8) Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys
    9) Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans
    10)
    Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco 49ers
    11) Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
    [12) Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills

[13) Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders

]14) Tom Brady, New England Patriots

[15) Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons

https://www.ibtimes.com/best-nfl-qu...ting-qbs-lamar-jackson-russell-wilson-2894543

^^^^These are the top 15 QBs from last season. I'd take any of them over Ben.......I'm not expecting a whole lot, if anything, from Ben this year. He's a beat up, 38 year old QB with a bad elbow. Personally, I wish he'd retire, so we can start the inevitable process of finding his replacement. instead there's a continuing delusion on this forum that Ben is still the same QB he was 10 years ago, and that he'll play another 4-5 years! I'm just not that optimistic. I think he's done, myself.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1