1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any serious golfers?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Stone, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I have never read anything on here about golf but I also haven't perused the Watercooler.

Anybody play the game seriously?
    Any great courses?
    Any great accomplishments?
    Any funny stories?

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    What's not to like? Fresh air, beautiful scenery, some exercise and that rare yet amazing one shot that keeps you coming back! I'm sure there are plenty of duffers in our midst. I used to play a few times a week - lots of par 3 - 9 hole courses out here in Cali. After several years I realized, you either had it or you didn't; and I didn't. My youngest brother is practically a scratch golfer and an amazing guitar player - irks me to no end as I was merely OK at both but spent an enormous amount of time and effort to finally come to that realization. If it weren't for "winter rules", I probably would have quit after my first week. :lolol:

[​IMG] upload_2020-2-20_8-10-7.jpeg [​IMG] upload_2020-2-20_8-13-18.jpeg

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ahhhh......Lacey Underalls!

I was the opposite, golf came naturally to me, I started playing in ninth grade and played on the high school golf team for the next three years. I won every match I ever played and was a one or two handicap by my senior year. I played in the Pa. state championship my senior year and have continued to love the game for all the reasons you listed....plus a cigar and a few beers doesn't hurt either. I was fortunate enough to qualify to play in the 1998 US Amateur qualifier, that was a memorable experience!

90% of amateur golfers don't really know what "handicap" means, they think that because they shot 39 in their 9-hole league once that they are a 3 handicap. They don't realize that handicap is not based on par but on course rating and is your "average difference between course rating and your score for 18 holes".

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Congrats Stone, always impressed with these type stories. And just think, if you keep it up, Judge Smails will be handing you that Caddy Scholarship this Summer instead of Danny Noonan! :thumbs up:

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah.....well.....the world needs ditch diggers too!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm absolutely horrible at golf.

But I don't mind an excuse to drink beer and hang out with friends. Too bad I haven't done that very much the past 15 years or so. No time / opportunity.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The good thing about the game is that guys of totally different skill can play together and have lots of fun and laughs!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    OMG this is funny that you started this thread. I don't know how serious of a golfer I am however I play a crap ton. I stay at a campground over the summer and it has a par 3 9 hole course. It is nothing special however it isn't about the play as it is about the people I am with. We play so many different ways and have so much fun. We all have our own golf carts and we go out with as little as 4 people and as many as 20. It is a great time we draw for partners, we play captain and crew, captain and mate and whatever else we can think of.

We have taken this show on the road and now have made the Myrtle Beach trip twice. This weekend six of us are gonna brave the cold and hit The Bridges Golf Course in Abbottstown PA......51 and full sun. We do many captain and crews through out the summer mostly fundraiser ones. Golf is a great way to bond and have fun at least for us as we don't take it serious..........most of the time. lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Awesome!

I played in a 9-hole outing for several years where the host had beer bunnies serving beer on the course and you got two strokes off your score for every beer you drank (the girls had to witness it). I didn't have any competition at golf and a little bit of competition at beer drinking so I won it every year. My best score for 9 holes was 7; I shot 35 and drank 14 beers. The only bad thing was it was a three day party and the golf outing was Saturday morning for the guys who came on Friday to help set everything up; every time I went I completely lost Saturday afternoon and evening:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

That is great we talk about doing a stoke o beer but you have to shotgun it. We have never done the stoke pre hole but for some reason we keep shotgunning the beers. Yeah we are all over the hill big children............I look at it as living everyday as your last let everyone else worry about the rest. Have you ever played 3 club? You have to use only 3 clubs in your bag and you have to pick them before you go out, man that is a ton of fun. I put with my driver...........

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I have! And it is a hoot. I go to HHI every fall with friends, we have been doing this for 30 years. We play a serious team game in the morning for some money and then after lunch, we play a drunken scramble. Over the years we have tried every imaginable twist to a scramble game to keep it interesting. About ten years ago, we were all sitting at lunch wondering what scramble should we play today. There is one other guy who is about the same level of player as I am and then a BIG drop off in talent. So I said "Jim and I will play the six of you in a scramble with one rule"....... The rule is that you can have as many mulligans as you want, but you must first do a shot of whiskey before you hit the mulligan.

We went to the liquor store and bought our liquid courage and headed out on the course. Jim and I rolled our empty handle of Captain Morgan down the 14th fairway and the rest is a blur. Most of the other guys were not serious drinkers so they all shared a handle of vodka. The next morning, they told Jim and I that we won:drinks: The conversation at breakfast centered around "you ****ers couldn't stand up.....but you could still hit a golf ball":cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That's good stuff right there I know me and my friends have talked about doing this and we never do I have a feeling it will get done this year however the difference will be instead of captain it will be stag.

We had a good weekend on the course, it was a little cold in the morning but by noon the course as heated up. We played a captain and mate one day and a captain and crew the next. We played 5-5-5(front-back-total) and a whole lot of trash talk.....my wallet did not get fuller, lol. Living in NY I never thought about golfing in February but driving 3.5 hours and the weather being 55-57 made that thought come true.

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The success of the shot of whiskey per mulligan was a huge hit but there were a few players who didn't want to get into a whiskey drinking competition so the following day we drew teams from a hat and each team had one player who was not interested in the shot/mulligan deal.....but could if they wished. The older gentleman on my team lasted until the 17th hole and after we all three botched a short chip shot, he reservedly said "gimmie the bottle" he took a swig and chipped it in potentially saving us two strokes:cool: We won!

• Like Like x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Love Golf, been playing 35 years, I pretty much suck but have 2 holes-in-one to my credit and never played any great course.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Congrats oh the two aces! I've had the good fortune to play many awesome courses.

I have been playing at a high level for 45 years and I have one hole-in-one........and it has an asterisk!

Asterisk is a ****ed up word!:smiley1:

16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Funny game Golf. I golf with guys who are much better then me and they never have had an ace. My first ace was on a scorecard with a 94 total and people see the scorecard on my fridge and ask why I would save a card with that score and I tell them look at that circled number. Second ace was on an up hill par 3 and you could barely see top of flag. We couldn't find ball and we thought it must have rolled over back of green into the woods but lo and behold when we pulled flag there she be:) That scorecard was best ever at 83 thanks to the ace and some tree's that loved me that day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's funny all right! I have witnessed so many aces and some just make me shake my head. In high school, I played with a kid who hit his 3 wood on a 160 yard par three where I hit my 7 iron. His ball went a mile left, bounced out of some trees, rolled through a sand trap, and into the hole.

I have flown countless balls into the hole, all of which came back out, I have three double eagles which they say is 1000 times harder than an ace, and I have watched numerous shots slowly lip out. Thank God, I have also had my share of good luck on the course!:smiley1:

18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Double eagle is the hardest thing in golf and as a short hitter I'll never see one.

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I played well enough at one time to think it was worth investing some money into only to find out I really wasn't that good. But...man I love to play!

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That's a tough and fine line to walk:smiley1: Most amateur golfers are playing with clubs that severely hamper their game, but unless they go get fitted and spend some money, they will never know it.

You can go to a place like Dick's Sporting Goods and buy a set of clubs who's loft, lie, and stiffness are all over the place. You can go to Golf Galaxy and buy ten different $600 drivers which have identical shaft labels and the shafts can range from senior to extra stiff with torque and kick points that would be hard for anyone to hit consistently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Now I'm getting pissed! Our small little tip on Southern Jersey has closed most courses but mine is still open. We are getting flooded with people from those other courses and they are bringing their families. Being stuck at home with the kids is getting to them. Our driving range had every stall filled with a family yesterday. I'd say 75% have never touched a golf club until now. Only plus it sure is easy on the eyes seeing the young hotties swinging those clubs:)

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Dude I so hear you our yearly trip to Myrtle has been cancelled. We were told the courses are open to the locals but anyone with plates from high impact areas(NY) are not being let in or will have to quarantine for 14 days. The company we go through has 21 course on their package we booked 5 of them. Of the 21 courses as of Saturday 11 are closed and 3 of them 11 we were scheduled to play. We are now looking to go down in October, god willing.........

• Like Like x 1
  23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    DAMMIT I MISS GOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still sit in the parking lot and read a book while I drink my java. Pisses me off seeing guys sneaking in through the woods. I'll say one thing for them they got balls. It is about a quarter of a mile through uncleared bushes and trees. How they drag their golf clubs through all that crap is beyond me.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That is crazy first off I am not walking through the woods with all the ticks.....and we have rattlesnakes here. Secondly........I don't effin walk, lol. Might swing the clubs Saturday going up to camp with a group of guys and we are bringing our carts and stuff. The course isn't open yet but we are still allowed out there, going stir crazy now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011