1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pool, darts, foosball

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Enraged, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Enraged

Enraged New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Hi everyone. A couple of my friends are planning to open a sports bar in Kansas City. I'd appreciate any ideas from you about what you like and what would make you go there for the second time

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Chicks!
    I don't know if you could do it there but, in San Diego, the trend du jour is axe throwing.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wait! Are you saying that they're replacing midgets with axes. Hmm. That's weird. :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wouldn't/shouldn't you/them be more concerned about getting folks there for a first visit before focusing on second visits? Being that it's KC, hard to compete with the 1000's of BBQ places already well established (like trying to open a new cheese-steak joint in Philly, pizza joint in NC or Chicago or taco shack in LA/SD). Guys go to a bar for food, cleavage and drinks in that order. Gals go for the guys, period. So if you get guys, you'll get gals. There's a unique bar east of LA in SoCal that's probably been around for 50 years (The Venice Room) with many TVs, full bar and decent food. What is the attraction is you grill your own steaks and burgers and then there's a full salad, bread and condiment bar. It's just like going to a buddy's Man Cave except you don't have to clean up. If I was opening a place, I'd be tempted to try this format. Note: it's not nearly as zany as Kramer's bake your own pizza idea. :shrug:

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Midgets were at the bowling alley!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Human pins?

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I would imagine for repeat customers, the bar needs to offer something I can't get at 20 other joints in town.
    I would say a decent craft beer selection is probably pretty important to some people. For me, it's about the food. I go to a bar to get something to eat and watch a game. So it has to have plenty of tv options that are showing different things. It also has to have a menu that's worth coming back for. If they can manage to have good wings, they'd keep me as a customer.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Seriously though, good food at a decent price. Something unique. As someone else said, not BBQ. Maybe try Mexican cuisine.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Perhaps even nuance it a bit to match what's popular in various States within Mexico - I love Tampequena (sp?) Steak. I'm sure there are varieties like Chinese food, Cantonese, Schezwan, Dim Sum, Mandarin etc. Then again, there's always Viking Cuisine, highly under-rated. ;)

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Midgets don't stay where you throw them very well.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm going to play devils advocate:
    1. You should be thinking long term, as in regulars not just first time visitors.
    2. I'd say if you get gals, you'll get guys, and guys spend the money.
    3. Grill your own food is a great idea...do you have to worry about the nimrod who gets sick because he didn't cook his burger to at least rare?

My $.02, be different in some ways and mainstream in others.
    1. Have food that is different than simple burgers and fries, have someone creative select your menu and even more creative write your menu.
    2. Be the same as the successes before you, plenty of space, cleanliness, boobies, and wait staff.
    3. Be unique, for example, the greatest concept I ever saw in a sports bar was a pitcher with a frozen rod inserted and sealed, and a tap on the bottom; it held about 96 oz. This way, guys could drink for a while without having to compete for the attention of the server every 5 minutes and your wait staff has to do 40% of the work they would if they have to serve every drink.
    4. Have pictures of scantily clad (yet classy) women in the mens room and pictures men in uniform (military) in the ladies room.
    5. Have pictures of Steeler greats all over the walls cause if you use pictures of Chief greats, you will only cover a small portion of one wall:hehehe:
    I do business management consulting and I would be happy to come to KC, eat BBQ, drink beer, and test the boobies:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Me too!
    Make it like a taqueria with lots of TVs! I'd go!

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Funny how the OP joined our group just to start this thread and has been MIA ever since. Either it was a Bot or he/she's so busy selling all our incredible ideas to their venture capitalists that they don't have time to join in or say "thank you" or "sorry I asked". :shrug:

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    What's ironic here is that we're advising for a sports pub in KC MO when perhaps the most infamous BBQ place on the planet for a while (thanks to Maverick and Top Gun) was the tiny Kansas City BBQ joint located right out here in downtown San Diego (long gone I believe). "Permission to buzz the tower...."

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    KC bbq is open and doing better than ever, in part because of that movie. They've had a banner proclaiming their role in the movie for years. Of course, it helps that they're across from the convention center!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Damn it! I officially retract all my great ideas!

• Agree Agree x 1