1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrell Edmunds has zero ball awareness

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm too lazy to look it up but didn't I see somewhere that Mitchell has been playing good football since he left here?

If so, that's a pretty good indication of coaching and scheme failing.

Absolutely give props too Butler for getting Bud turned around but wonder if Teryl Austin has anything to do with the defense? Wonder if there is a joint committee between Austin, Butler and Tomlin.

2. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    He's HoF if they weren't handcuffing him

3. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    And the best thing is that we took him about three picks ahead of Lamar Jackson. OMG

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not really I am afriad. Mike Mitchell is a FA. Has not played anywhere since last playing for the Colts. He was better suited as a Strong Safety anyways.

Regarding Teryl Austin, it is difficult to say. That said, as I have stated before and I believe you might be alluding to, Teryl is likely next in line to take Keith's job. I would not mind it as Keith can kick back and go back training the OLBs or find another home elsewhere.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They gave players opportunities to play. They made changes when they believed they were necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was under the impression he played well for the Colts.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    My point was they were wrong in many of those instances, so saying that they trust Edmunds doesn't really mean much.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Coincidentally he did. Not at Free Safety though but at Strong Safety. Malik was the Free Safety already established there.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wish we would have drafted his brother who plays for the Bills
    Has been a disappointment.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tremaine Edmunds was long gone by the time the Steelers made their pick that year.

12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Sybil Danning had Linda Blair on her shoulders as her cellmate in "Chained Heat".

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think Terrell is as bad as some make him out to be. I think with Fitzpatrick making all the splash plays, a lot of fans say, Edmunds is terrible where is he?

A lot goes into it other than just creating INT's etc.

Problem with Edmunds like Bud Dupree he is a 1st rounder, the expectation of a 1st rounder is to be a hall of fame caliber player to most fans.

If you took Bud Dupree in round 3 for example. You would say wow what a great draft pick.
    If you took Edmunds in round 3 you would say similar.

Edmunds is still a young guy, give him time. The chemistry of Nelson, Edmunds, Fitzpartick, and Haden has been excellent, it's won the Steelers a lot of their games this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Terrell Edmunds Still Searching For Splash Plays

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on February 17, 2020

As you can tell by the title, this isn’t exactly going to be a kind article to Terrell Edmunds. And it’s not. We’re taking a critical look at one of the biggest issues in his game. But before getting into all that, I do want to point out Edmunds hasn’t played poorly and though he didn’t progress as much as thought as I would, he still took a step forward in 2019.

Ok, now to the critique.

Through his first two seasons, Edmunds has logged 2022 defensive snaps, most by any Steeler over that span (Joe Haden trails behind, slightly, at 2011). And yet he’s struggled as much as anyone on this unit to take the football away. In 2019, a year where Pittsburgh led the league in turnovers with a gaudy 38, Edmunds wasn’t responsible for a single one. That feels almost impossible given his snap count. Logic says he would luck himself into an interception or even just fall on a loose ball for a fumble recovery. But no. It didn’t happen.

It’s an issue that’s plagued him in both seasons. In his 31 career starts, he has just two takeaways (interceptions, forced fumbles, and fumble recoveries). Both came during his rookie season. A fumble recovery in Week 4 against Baltimore and an interception off a terrible Ryan Fitzpatrick overthrow the week prior. That’s it.

And honestly, that’s pretty amazing when you compare it to NFL history.

Using Pro Football Reference’s data, since 1993 – when they began to track forced fumbles – I looked at all safeties with at least 30 starts with two or fewer career takeaways or potential ones, as is the case with forced fumbles.

It’s a staggeringly short list.

Terrell Edmunds – 2018-2019
    Michael Ball – 1988-1993

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/terrell-edmunds-still-searching-for-splash-plays/

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This was very painful to read. Feel even more bad for Alex as he had to type that. Just unreal.

I am personally 100% convinced at this point that Minkah was more than a "Hail Mary" move like some made it out to be at the time the trade for Minkah happened. Minkah has to be part of the fail safe option should Terrell fail overall. The other part is likely to come in 2021 should Terrell fail to register any sort of impact again.

Again, just throwing out the name Antonie Winfield Jr. Young man can play multiple roles and has tremendous ball skills and instincts. Not saying but just saying.

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Just need him to be our Clark to our polamalu haha

17. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    You know the whole issue with edmunds started when they overreached for him in the first round when they probably could have picked him in the 3rd round exactly like your example...

not his fault but the fans remember and thats fair.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it was from losing out the year before on so many safeties. They panicked, which I think they do at times. :cool:

19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Wow, so he is the second worst safety in the last 27 years in taking away the football. Not exactly a stat you want to see for a first round draft pick.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No, not a first rounder. He seems timid out there to me. Afraid he will be in the wrong spot & not using instinct on what is developing. Not sure he has that instinct yet or ever will.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Once they give him the 5th year option everything will be roses :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    We so need an upgrade here there are names in the draft that look pretty good AQL dropped one above. Also maybe kick the tires on Joseph or Bell in FA I know bother were talked about a lot here when they were in the draft.

23. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    He is a complete bust. Can’t be gone from this team fast enough. If we had a decent SS this D would be legit

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It was fairly legit last season, no...?

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Still not sure about our run defense. :huh: