1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sensible free agents that might be a Steeler next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We need a QB who can hit a receiver in the middle of the field:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok and the QB needs someone to hit....

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Trouble is minka, watt, juju, washington, sutton, feiler, alualu, and several others down the road when we need money and players added. I don't agree with the all now or nothing logic. Especially with an aged, injured qb. Big risk with the potential of little reward. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes, I'm just implying that it's more of a possibility that the WR could already be on the team, but without a legit QB we will never know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

But it is a good one especially for those worried about Ben's elbow..........:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

We need a QB that can hit the same team not the other team.......

We have talent at WR........

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not spending money on a guy to sit on the bench and neglect the guys to protect the one on the field. You don't mortgage the future for a one year maybe season. We are not Cleveland. New Orleans and Tenn. Had a whole team in place, we dont. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If we had a legitimate running game and a OL that protects its QB the QB would have a higher success rate of hitting this own teammates....

we do have talent at WR but the point was we could use a true slot receiver and not Switzer...

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Sorry but you do when you have a QB who has questions and that is the one position that kept you out of the playoffs. Has nothing to do with being Cleveland it has all to do with winning......tell the Saints and Titans what a waste it was to have 7 mil invested in a back up..............

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

If we had a QB that made defense's worry about the pass it might take the pressure off the run game.........if we had an OC that knew how to use the weapons we have it might take pressure off the oline...........

The Switzer thing we agree on, however I feel Juju, DJ and JW can play both. jmo

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't think anyone could deny any of what you said. But I honestly believe that if Ben, or another veteran QB, was in the game it would have made a world of difference. MR throws a soft wobble ball and while his arm is strong enough to hit a guy on a go route, his typical pass takes too long to get there, and is too soft to hit high speed receivers going across the middle. This leads to linebackers and corner backs cheating on him and that has a ripple effect throughout the entire offensive production.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I tend to agree with you. I cannot see them winning another Super Bowl with Ben, I know you need to approach each season with the intention of winning it all but I wouldn’t agree with mortgaging the future beyond Ben on a roll of the dice to try and win number seven in 2021

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Thinking about this some more. Nobody wanted Tannehill. I’m pretty sure Tenn got him for a song and a dance and if you asked any Steeler fan at the time 90% would of said no thanks. Bridgewater hadn’t played in a couple years as well and the Saints got him cheap. The common denominator is they both walked into ready made offenses with great running games and OLs. If Tannehill was asked to perform under the same circumstances here ,we probably wouldn’t be singing his praises. Better than MR? probably but he also has way more experience. If you were to offer Tannehill and Bridgewater for the same song and dance I would definitely take either. MM for the right pride? Probably but that’s not happening. Keenum....no thanks I’ll take my chances with MR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If you only focus on the bad stuff you’re going to find things wrong. There are also examples of him putting the ball right in target with velocity. The consistency of that may certainly be a problem right now but all the other factors I mentioned have a impact on those things as well. So give him solid protection and a solid running game that ALL successful QBs have then we can make a fair evaluation. Of course focusing on the things he did wrong is going to lead to a one sided conclusion. Take all the variables into account....

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    as I said, those teams had a good team around those backups. NO backup dinked and dunked his way through 5 games with a good defense, the top wr and rb. They also have a good young o line and TE. You don't like our qbs to play that way. Tenn. Had the best RB in the league with a good young o line and a good defense and we were ahead of them until their starter came back. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well the OC isn’t going anywhere so I don’t know how much better or how much say a Keenum would have in this offense. Chances are they are still running Fichtner/Ben offense. So that leaves us maybe worse off because a new QB has to learn a new O.

As far as slot WRs...while I feel the guys you mentioned are slot flexible they are not true slot WRs...

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Look the timing sucks. It’s not the time to throw **** against the wall to see what sticks. If anything this should be the year you play it safe because of the uncertainty with Ben. If he proves he’s still got it and takes us on a deep run then I would be more in tune with selling out for 2021. Right now isn’t the time. FA starts in a month, these decisions need to be made long before we have a definitive answer with Ben. Way too much risk. Like I’ve said before if we need MR to fill in for 4 games for Ben he can win 3 of them with the improved team we’re going to need anyway...even with Ben. I’m sorry but bringing in MM or Keenum or whatever other journeyman you want to name isn’t winning a SB for us and we’re in no position to pay one to maybe win us 3 games....

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

7 and 7.25 mil these guys cost, and it isn't about what they did it is about investing in the position. You are right if it didn't work out we wouldn't be talking about it.......but it did work out. When teams sign guys do you think they sign them with the intent to fail? Also nobody knows if a guy will work out or not. Tanny stunk and Bridgewater was coming off injury both lead their teams to the playoffs. Look at Keenum with the vikes he was almost in the super bowl then left there for the money and yes FAILURE.

I seen what we had with MR not excited about our chances with him..........but we all know that is what we are gonna end up with. I hope we don't have to find out and if we do I hope I am as wrong as I was about Bush. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It is amazing how far we have fallen with some, we went from one of the best olines to now we are garbage. We went from a pro bowl RB and WR to nothing, Vance was considered pretty good until this season, oh and also a pretty darn good D. We are not as bad as a team as you make us out to be, get a real QB and the defense won't stack the box, man Barry Sanders would do nothing with our team last year.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I got nothing to fight about when it comes to Fitch...........:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is one occasion where I think the Steelers mantra of continuity in coaching has gone too far! Futchner is just plain bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well... you can thank Ben partly for that.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes sir for sure and also throw in Sherman to that mix he stinks too

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    For hiding Futchner's weaknesses?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1