1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How SERIOUS is Ben’s elbow?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerBark, Feb 15, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You fix the things you can, whether Ben is back or not.

the o line is possibly losing a starting RT. A backup interior main sub. We need to replace at least a starting RG and possibly a center.

I'm just as concerned about Tuitt s arm and will he be back. For how long?

the good defense we had won't be the same if we lose, dupree, hargraves, hilton and barron. We also lost a backup safety in kelly. Add burns and davis which we must replace to field enough players. We can't just let four out of eleven off this defense walk and expect to be near as good.

we need a number one wr. A deep threat. A Batman to all the robin's we have.

TE. Letting Vannett walk puts us in the same place we were last year.

FB. Nix had all season to rest that knee. It didn't get better. Will the off season rest really help? Who knows, but we better find a solution. Lose Vannett and nix still injured and we will be in worse shape than last year in the run game.

STs. No punter. Long snapper. Two of the best st coverage guys we have gone. (Matakevich -Nix) equals problems that most don't think about. Then one of the gunners if holton is gone.

we have plenty of things to fix besides just Bens arm. We can't even find a wr coach yet. Ben can't fix all these other problems. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hopefully Ben is cleared to toss the ping-pong ball around so he & Switzer can develop some chemistry.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wrong, if his doctor clears him then he can start throwing again.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Will find out soon enough. They will be monitoring him pretty closely.
    33 million is riding on his health.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I wrote BB off a long time ago. We need to start searching for his replacement. My .02.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm skeptical, but I think you have to push for it as if he'll be back and on schedule. The FO is apparently optimistic.

Agreed that there are too many holes to fill. They need a good draft year with their mid tier picks

7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Would like to add I’ve seen a couple of pics of Ben our an about in recent days and it looks to me the whole weight issue was completely overblown. He doesn’t look that out of shape and I think the beard and winter coats made it look worse when he was on the sidelines.

Now let’s hope that elbow heals ok

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I don't feel they are almost there on offense. The offensive line needs attention. Will Juju come back and show he is the #1? Tight Ends? Fullback? One solid running back to carry the load that doesn't get niked up every second. And then Rudolph's development.

Now to Ben. Say he comes back at 75 to 80%. This means a short methodical passing game with the occasional deep throw. And a solid running game. This also means major pass and run blocking. He is an aging QB with past injuries now coming back(maybe) from major throwing elbow surgery. He will need to stay close to the pocket. His scrambling around might be detrimental. Going to need a solid tight end. Vannett is not that. Glass McD Is a force but not in the cold tub. He was invisible last season. And even though I think Randy is a mental midget even he knows what kind of weapon he has in Glass. I think :shrug: He was nursing or hiding an injury.

So an upper tier Tight End FA should to be looked at:
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf........0i131j0i67.4YMTc_Itzr4#spf=1581887029710

Also that's why Switzer might be hanging around, little quick 5 yard outs. Bens Edelman :rolleyes:

Paying Dupree is reckless thinking. That's 16 that can be used to bolster the offense. The defense will survive although I am more worried about the nose and ILB position especially the nose. Might be our 3rd round pick.

Heyward is in the last year of his contract. I feel an extension is in order and will happen. His cap hit is 13,251 mill. 9,5 base and 3,751 restructure. Maybe they can get it down to add some cap savings? Don't think it will be that much relief though.

So a lot to wait and see, not just Bens elbow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Damn serious. We are doomed. But Rudolph will be better than LJ. I fart in the general direction of the reindeer haterz!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    LJ was exposed big time v the Titans when they took the middle of the field away from him, others will have noticed.

Haven’t seen anything to suggest MR will be better than him all the same. I have not given up hope on Mason but he has a long way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    It's serious. Tommy Johns ?
    Good news if any? Those before him have fully recovered and competed at the highest level.

Of course, we'll all find out soon enough.

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Landry didn't do much to refute this claim today.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I was talking Lamarr Jackson. :eek:

14. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Yeah he's scheduled to be checked out on the 22nd but I don't think we'll know any more then than we do now. The front office and Tomlin aren't known for their transparency regarding injuries. I expect them to talk a lot about his checkup without saying anything. I don't think us fans will know really anything until he starts throwing in front of the reporters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I wonder if Ben was hurt before the season started last year I don't remember him having any accuracy or zip on the ball in the few games before his injury. But we are stuck with him or without him his salary is now looking ridiculous 30 or 33 mill for a 38yr old QB.
    The Steelers need to be more cut throat in handing out huge contracts they need to get there salary cap in order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I have heard speculation and second hand accounts from teammates that lead me to believe that he may have been carrying that injury for quite a while.

I remember watching an interview he did with Chris Simms on PFT during camp and he had a massive ice pack wrapped around that elbow. He blew it off as if it was nothing but it is hardly a stretch to imagine that it may be related.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If he could only move his feet better. :swoon:

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll worry about Ben's arm when its time to . Since no one knows anything right now, its not time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Somebody knows something :hmm:

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This issue seems to be driving a lot of fans bonkers but I think about it this way. The Steelers may be the best organization in the NFL at keeping their stuff in house and out of public discussion. That's one of many things that makes me a proud Steeler fan. The only way I would worry about this is if I, or someone close to me, knew that Ben was behind schedule based on the surgery he had. I don't.......and I'm guessing none of the people talking about it do either.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I know I know something....but right now I can't remember what it is:drinks:

23. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Great post

24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Can't tell you how many times I've flipped through the channels on a Saturday and did a massive double-take when I saw the Steelers playing. Then I realized it was Iowa. :facepalm:

I was right with you until "on offense we're almost there." Whatever you're smoking...give me some. It must be some good ****. ;)

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, let's speculate for the heck of it.

If I asked you to set the over/under for the number of TD passes left in Ben's CAREER not just 2020, what would you pick?

I'll say 25. I think Ben has a decent partial season, followed by a not so decent partial season, followed by retirement. You see similar aged guys like Eii and Rivers washed up and they didn't have arm surgery.

• Informative Informative x 1