1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sensible free agents that might be a Steeler next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Feb 14, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel we have to tender Feiler, Hilton and Banner as RFA's and according to OTC here are the projected numbers for each tender:

1st round 4.667m
    2nd round 3.278m
    3rd round 2.144m

RFA tenders are calculated by increasing the previous year's respective tender by the same rate as the increase of the salary cap. This increase also must be a minimum of 5% and a maximum of 10%.

Now as for Vannett the way I feel about his is this if we keep Vance we let him go and if we let Vance go we keep Vannett. The more I read on this TE draft class there are many players of Vannett's talent in there for a whole lot less money. Sorry I know we used a draft pick to get him for 13 games but read this and I agree 100%:

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/09/27/steelers-trade-nick-vannett-bad/

The whole Bud talk has been beat to death here over and over, I am ready to let him go. Use that 17 mil on a replacement(which this FA class has plenty of) and locking up these 3 RFA. We just got 4 players for the price of one.

Cut Foster(4m), Barron(5.250m), Chick(5m) and Berry(1.8m) and you free up 16 mil for a FA or 2. We have guys on the roster to replace all these guys except Berry. Between the added cap space and the draft we can fill our needs and be just as good and IMO a whole lot better. jmo

• Like Like x 2
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    :thumbs up:

Or

20190908mfbucssports09-1573151364.jpg

:thumbsdown:

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Switzer and Moncrief are my 2nd and 3rd favorite WRs....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Switzer takes a lot of heat around here. Undersized & slow, still inspiring youths across America. Living the dream. Our own Edelman in the making I've been told.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I disagree about vannett. So they signed like wilson, he did nothing for Seattle. That article said we didn't address the position, not true, we drafted a TE. Same as you are wanting this year. Vannett can do many things and blocking is one of them, which we need. There was a reason with a young qb starting that having a fun game would be critical. That's why a good blocking TE was gone after. Vannett also had more catches then like wilson. The value is how we use these guys. Vannett is capable, I've seen him play for years. The money he will require is minimal. Plus we still have two young guys before we add another draft pick. Gentry and Rader.

now we get to one thing I know you and I disagree about and that is dumping barron. You say we have replacements already here. Who exactly? :cool:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Would a draft pick be cheaper at te than Vannett, asking? The great Terrell Edmunds could be Barron's replacement but I think the Steelers keep him at SS.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That is fine about Vannett however my point wasn't about Seattle as it was about how we didn't address the position. Ok so we drafted a late round guy that didn't see the field and was so raw that the Steelers already 0-3 felt the need to use another late round pick to address the situation. Like I said if we keep Vance and his 7m cap hit we can't afford to keep Vannett. If we let Vance walk than we keep Vannett and see if Gentry can handle the receiving part like he was drafted for. Last season we needed to replace James and his 30 receptions and we had Grimble there and he had 1 reception in 3 games, that was not addressing the TE position. Grimble and Gentry combined for 7 games 1 started 4 targets and 2 receptions and 7 yards.....enter the need for Vannett. Vannett had a nice season and that is not what I am disputing however last year he made 764k and will be looking for more not less. Do you feel 800k-1m is fair for his value? I am thinking that is what he is looking at and IMO that is to much for a blocking TE when there are ones in the draft that can do that. See the Hunter Henry thread where I talked about guys who are good blockers and might not get drafted so we are looking at 500k instead of 1m.

Now onto Barron, who do I want as a replacement well UG3, Edmunds(like I have talked about), a draft pick and/or a cheap FA like I said in my post. I agree the guy you can't stand VW needs help but we are not in position to let him go it makes zero financial sense as oppose to the financial sense letting Barron go makes. I get we disagree with this and I respect your opinion however I have my own towards this. :smiley1:

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we have a draft pick from last year. Do we waste that and just add another in hopes they work out? Vannett is proven. He doesn't cost that much. He made 728,000 last year. If we doubled it, that is minimal for a seasoned TE. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

Vannett made 606,000 from us last year. Even if we signed him for 1-1.5 mil. it's cheap. He is not just a blocking te. He is a good receiver but has never been used that way in the pros because he is such a good blocker. He had 27 catches last year. JJ had not many more but couldn't block and we paid him more then what Vannett would get. Nick stays on the field too.

The snap counts between McDonald and Vannett are very different, but receiving production if broke down are not. Useage in that capacity does differ. Yards per catch and target and first downs , Vannett hangs quite well. McDonald was used like Vannett was by the Niners until he got here. Vannett could do the same. For the minimal price, I'd keep both to help the run and to help Ben when he's back.

Now back to barron. You said we have replacements already here. UG3 could be but we don't know that. VW was replaced by Barron one year and fort another year. He is not a replacement. This talk about Edmunds becoming a LB is crazy. You just create another hole on what was a good defense in two spots now. Or I should say two more spots. :cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Vannett made 764,220 last year that is what you base the number on for next year. Yes 1-1.5 is cheap based on salaries today however we are in no position to have the luxury to pay everyone. If we are keeping Vance and Gentry Vannetts receiving skills means nothing. The talk is we want a blocking TE well paying 1-1.5 mil for that just isn't good for us right now especially when there are options for half of that. I am looking at the big picture not just on field production. Yes in a perfect world I would love to pay our blocking TE that but we are so up against the cap right now we have to take that into consideration.

As for VW I never said he was the replacement I am saying we can't financially let him go and keep Barron. Barron is a compliant to VW and that is what I am looking for in Barrons replacement. So the talk of Edmunds becoming a LB is not crazy, the whole reason MT drafted him was for this role. TE was drafted because of the "hybrid" style MT wants to play. So you say I am creating 2 holes please tell me where? I replace Barron with TE and like I said in my prior post the money saved in the cuts will help fill the holes we have, for example a Karl Joseph.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm talking about a outside free agent :shrug:, Dupree will get more than $12 million, closer to $16 million.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They can sign Dupree, restructure some guys and then sign 4 guys also :shrug:.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    From where? Where is all that money coming from?:cool:

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They are going to borrow from next years cap :lolol:

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    There is money available if ownership/management choose to get it. According to OTC just restructuring we can free up the following:

Ben 9.997
    Tuitt 5.543
    DD 3.902
    Haden 2.977
    MP 3.477
    Nelson 3.715
    Vance 2.352
    VW 1.527

That's 33.49m, the way I understand a restructure that is cap turned into bonus......feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am not saying do all but some can be done on top of the obvious cuts we can find the money.

https://overthecap.com/transactions-table/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert and Khan will figure it out :shrug:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it doesn't just go away though. Bonus money still counts toward the cap. Tuitt was restructured last year. :cool:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm sure they will it's their job, but we have this forum to talk about it. If we just let them figure it out why bother with this.:shrug::cool:

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That figure for Ben looks very high to me? Even if it is right I would not be comfortable restructuring Ben because it’s probably 50/50 at best that he plays in 2021. No point kicking the issue in to that year and leaving the team with a huge dead money hit when they may need to find a free agent QB to replace him.

Tuitt has been restructured twice and is injury prone, they’ve given him too much upfront money already. I’d be leaving him as is too personally.

I think you cut Foster, Barron, Berry and Chickillo and take what savings you can from Cam Heyward extension and either extensions or restructures for DeCastro, Nelson and others.

I’m not sure where that would leave them. My back of an envelope calculations would put it in the region of $25m. That’s enough to bring back all you RFA’s and sign your rookies with about $12m change to replace Bud and find some help on offence. That said, they always like to keep $5m back to cover injuries as well so IDK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I totally get that but what I am saying is take a guy like Ben we aren't cutting him the next 2 years. If we cut him next year we are already gonna eat 12 mil, same thing a few others on the list. We are already screwed next year might as well try to go all in and make room and just bite the bullet next year instead of 2 years. jmo.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Come on Mac you been here a long time aren't you use to some comments like that?????? :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Like I just said to Mac we are screwed in 2021 might as well just bite the bullet then. We get a savings of 19m if we cut Ben next year but we will eat 12.5 mil, that is a ton of cash to eat. Tuitt is another one, next year if we cut him we eat 11.8 mil and 5.9 in 2022. My point is we are screwed with these guys already might as well go all in and at least buy us something this year to try and win it all. Yes we can save 16 mil with the cuts you mentioned and we don't have to do all these guys as restructures, but some would help.

As for extensions using the same link I shared we can create 6.244 on DD, 6.844 on Cam, 4.764 on Haden and 5.944 on Nelson. These are all guys we can use and also free up a max of 23.7 mil.

My whole point being restructure/extension/cuts we can find money. If you do a little of all these it looks to me like getting 30 mil of cap space is not far fetched. jmo

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The problem is most if not all of these decisions will have to be made before we have a clear and definitive answer on Ben’s elbow. He’s scheduled for a doc visit the end of the week. Sounds like best case scenario he gets the ok to start throwing tennis balls. It might be May or June before we get a true read on his recovery. That’s if he gets the ok to start throwing something now. Making all those moves is a big assumption to make. Moves that will kill us down the road. What if Ben is done? Bad timing to mortgage the future....jmo

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

.....all the more reason to bring in a vet back up...........open the space for that, worked pretty well for the Saints last year, come to think about it the Titans as well!

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I knew you had a angle;). Sorry still don’t see it happening...l