1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mock Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Dak needs probowl receivers. In the no Ben scenario I'd go after someone better if Rudolph keeps getting rag-dolled.
    Drew Brees?
    Cam Newton?
    I'll say it, Jameis Winston?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Even if Ben's elbow is shot,I don't think that he will retire. If I was Ben I would just go on IR for the year and rake in 35 million.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The IR is exactly what would happen. Steelers will pay him the 35.

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    His salary is almost fully guaranteed for injury so they would be completely screwed unless he decided to help them out and renege on the guarantees. Most likely they’d just put him on IR and release him at the end of the season.

If he is intent on retiring due to injury and digs his heels in in relation to what he is owed then his Cap number for 2020 becomes $50m +, doubt either side would let it come to that unless they have a massive falling out.

Re Dak, he wants crazy money, no thanks!! He is not worth the $35m or whatever it is he is looking for. Cowboys would be wise to move on unless he is willing to accept something more realistic. Presumably they will tag him for this year at least.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Well, I was just spit ballin' ideas :lolol: I just didn't know how the retirement would affect the cap. But I see now that is not an option. Seems weird a team would have to absorb that hit if the player decided to retire.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

When was the last time the Steelers were in position to draft in the top 10

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Other than last year's trade up for Bush, the last time the Steelers drafted in the top ten was in 2000 when they drafted Plaxico Burress #8 in the first round.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dump jt barrett. I do think we use a late pick or udfa pickup on a qb. See what we have with a new qb coach. If still like Cole mcdonald. Stick with mason for now. Find out if lynch is worth anything. See what duck does year two.

Protect our qbs. Job one. If bens arm isn't good, Pouncey goes along with foster. We draft and add to the future and start to weed out the aged.

Ben, tuitt, Vince are 3 contracts that are killing us right now for what they bring, so we must absorb them for now.

The future is building off of minka and watt. Build the oline. Add to the defense. Until those big, bad contracts are absorbed we are quite limited. We can just hope they can give us some field time for another year. It's going to mean cheaper players having to be on the field for now so upgrade what is easier to upgrade for now. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Are you saying that there isn't any value of those who are drafted beyond the top 10? The point is that where ever we draft in the 1st round, or any round for that matter, when going for a DB in the past we haven't had the best of results. This year we had another team do that for us and we were fortunate for Miami to do a test drive on him and we could pick up at the cost of our 1st pick this year.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

No. That’s not what I’m saying. However, the further down the line you draft the higher the risk. The blue chip can’t miss prospects are generally long gone. By all reports our front office, scouts, and coaching staff spent a lot of time scouting MF. Which is why they jumped when he became available.

12. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    i saw a mock draft that had the Steelers taking Jefferson from LSU in the 2nd round... no way he lasts until then. would love the pick tho. Gonna need a QB, Ben is done man. He can't even throw a tennis ball right now

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Well said! The importance of protecting Ben while he gets re-acclimated is critical. In the mean-time I will keep these two facts in my mind.
    1. Ben had increased arm strength in 2018 so it's not like his arm was declining.
    2. If I remember correctly, he came in to camp in better condition in 2018 and 2019 than in previous years so he is taking the tail end of his carrier serious. It also appears he is taking his off-time seriously too because he seems to be on a seafood diet..... he see's food, he eats it:smiley1:

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Any chance they could work something out with him to free up some of that money?

I sure hope you are wrong about the rest of Ben's body falling apart around his newly reconstructed elbow:drinks:

15. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Cause no front office exec or Football person in the history of time itself has ever said, yeah our guys suck so we are targeting this guy or position. I mean the NFL has only been around 100 years now have we not learned how the off season draft/free agency game is played yet?

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Time will tell.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I honestly don't get mock drafts. To me, it's like discussing who will be the star of the game when we play the Broncos next year.

I'd be curious to look at the mock drafts for previous years and compare them to what really happened.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Mock drafts are simply informed guesses and nothing more. Don't take them more than what they already are; mine the same and no less. All for fun.

That said, some mocks are better while some are more for knee jerks. Keep in mind though that most of these analysts do not watch all 32 teams consistently. As such, players selected by them are often based on teams needs and not other factors such as schematic fit or other options for said team; kicking Feiler inside being the Steelers for a start.

All in all, mock drafts are subjective.

• Agree Agree x 1