1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Feb 6, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Who exactly is this magic backup that we need? Where did he lead his team? What did Ben do exactly last year to make you feel so comfortable? Our backups had as many starts as many of the free agent backups in the league and pretty good numbers in comparison. Should we have a franchise qb in waiting? Who exactly would this be? Easy to say. Very difficult to do.:cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think that rather than analyze what someone did for another team it is more clear when you look at our team. Our OC was proven incompetent when Ben went down last year, it became clear that Ben in the game hides Fucthners pathetic weakness. I agree that a veteran will have a better chance of success under Fuchtner than a youngster because they've been there enough to see what Fucthner can't.

Ben is still one of the top QB's in this league and what we have behind him is extremely questionable....especially with Fucthner in their ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Well I don't have any "magical" back ups but what I do have is guys who have MUCH more experience than who we have right now. I have said over and over again I would love to see Mariota here I know he isn't coming here for 3 mil but if we could get him for 6-8 I would think he is an instant upgrade. Keenum has tons of experience and a whole lot more than what we have here now. My point is an experienced back up might help over come Fitchners inability to lead the offense without Ben. What the hell does what Ben did last year have to do with anything, he was hurt. Our back ups sucked balls and if you don't agree that is fine but the proof is in the pudding they missed wide open guys time after time and all the protection in the would can not change that. You are fine with our back ups that is your opinion but don't act like there isn't other options or we have just as good options cause we don't. MR, Hodges and Lynch all suck bottom line. smh

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    In a couple of weeks we will be getting reports on how Ben's elbow is progressing. The team isn't going to come out and say that his elbow is shot and has no chance of ever playing again. So we have to read between the lines and if we see statements like "some discomfort", "a little bit of pain" or "nothing to worry about". Then it will be time to panic.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well said man I agree 100%, I know we have no chance at Mariota but after watching last year and worried about Ben coming back makes me want to. I have mixed feelings about Ben however what he brings means a lot. It is obvious we couldn't replace it last year and people are gonna point to injuries and stuff....blah blah blah. Here is my thought does it matter if Mason or Duck over or under throws Juju or Holton? I mean in the end if a ball isn't catchable then it really don't matter who is on the other end right? Same thing with Conner, does it matter if we miss a wide open conner in the flat or Whyte? Our QB's stink and they got no help from the OC and the only change is a new WR coach and a QB coach.....man I hope that puts us in the SB when Ben goes down......smh.

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Our only hope is that MR stunk "because of" our OC and maybe next year will be different. Maybe I'll win the lottery and then Jennifer Aniston will rethink my marriage proposal.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

There is always hope good luck with Jennifer however after the halftime show I am thinking Shakira topped my list......lol!

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    She's a little too slutty in public for me. That level of sluttiness needs to be behind closed doors........ mine!:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not sure I would call that changing the offense, mac. That sounds like more of a talent problem than a scheme problem.

As far as the numbers between MR and Ben, I'll have to do some investigation. But on its face, I'm going to have to disagree. This season, Mason has 13 TDs to 9 INTs with 1765 yds passing, 42 yds rushing and 4 fumbles. The biggest stat is the 5-5 record in those games. Not too good.

Ben, on the other hand had 2621 yds passing 17 TDs, 11 INTs, 2 fumbles, 1 rushing TD and 144 yds rushing in his first season in 2004 where he went 13-1 regular season and 1-1 postseason.

As far as the OL is concerned, MR got sacked 15 times in his 10 games and Ben got sacked 22 times in his first 10 games.

Just not tracking with you mac.

• Like Like x 2
  10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I've been pretty consistent in saying that MR is not the answer.

He just doesn't have the talent or ability to succeed long term at this level, imo.

He's OK, and only OK, as a short term backup, but that's about it. If he has to start 6-8 games in a row, you've got problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    mason was 5-3 this year. Hodges 3-3. Ben 0-2.

completion percentage was pretty close. A much better team around Ben back then. 4 of masons picks were in one game. Had games happen. Ben has had plenty of those too. It's not apple's to apple's when looking at who Ben was throwing to and mason had. Ben stunk in the first game and a half this year with this team. Mason had no running game to speak of. So actually the kid didn't do that bad. He had us in those first couple and also was moving the team when he came in for duck later in the season only to get hurt again. Ben also had a qb coach in those days.

you build on what you have, you don't just keep changing and after a debacle like last year was. Our 3rd round pick and rookie undrafted free agent were 8-6 on the season in the NFL. You guys expect every qb from now on to play like a franchise qb are going to be sadly disappointed. No backup that's a free agent this year had a better season. :cool:

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    do you think they will be any better? How about any better with what our qbs had and were playing with last year.
    we have no money for either. Mariotta was benched and can't stay on the field, so maybe we do need them both. Smh.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So MR has no responsibility for those other two losses where he got yanked because he was sucking too bad and another where he got dinged up?

I'm not going to argue with you mac that MR is on par with BR at the same point in their careers. That is just ludicrous. I dont believe Rudolph has the talent or drive to be Ben's successor. He hasn't shown it during his short NFL career so far. Can he turn it around with the right coaching and practice/work? Of course it's possible but I dont see it happening. I could be wrong. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I do believe they will be better, I feel Mariota and Keenum would both play better because they couldn't be any worse than what we just watched last year. You think jut because Mariota was benched he couldn't be a good back up.....Charlie Batch among others says hi. Yeah I will give you MM gets hurt that is a knock on him but worth the risk.

Do we have the money no we don't could we get the money yes we could. Like I said in my original post you quoted asking what magical back up we needed without a QB the season is a waste and we just seen that happen.

Reading the rest of this thread and your responses I get why you disagree. If you really are comparing MR and Duck to Ben that is laughable. These guys can't hold a candle to a hurt Ben nevermind a healthy Ben. So Ben was 0-2 we have never seen Ben get off to a slow start before, I think 2 years ago he did and how did he end that season......pretty good. I am by far a Ben lover but on the field he was still pretty good.......you can't say that about MR or Duck. SMH

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

After last year and watching the performance Mason put on I can not understand how anyone can put Ben and MR in the same sentence. I was a MR fan before the season and am not a big Ben fan but holy cow how do you compare them two???

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    No argument my friend, we just see it different. It's all good bud. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I was talking about Ben in his early years. How many teams go all season with a backup and reach the SB? We at least had a shot with two guys that had never saw an NFL field. In bens 3rd year he had a losing record, it's a good thing we didn't dump him then. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Honestly everyone, while some of us can argue whether or not Mason is the future, there is one aspect that is paramount. For that matter, one very overlooked aspect. Every QB needs some form of help. Heck, the great Tom Brady got booted out of the playoffs because he did not have ANY help at that point in the season as they locked up the AFC East.... again...

Mason had almost ZERO help all year long. I say almost because Diontae Johnson can be argued for being the Steelers OPOY. JuJu being hurt did not help so someone had to step up. Diontae did and did so in a big way in my opinion. Of course, a Receiver can only do so much. Sure a Running Back would be nice. However...

That Offensive Line we have.... NEEDS WORK. Ramon Foster needs to go.. like now. Second?! Draft a plug and play starter as there are plenty of quality starting Guards in this drafr; Solomon Kindley and Ben Bredeson being the best of the best. If the Interior Offensive Lineman is not an issue due to Feiler being kicked inside; acquire a home run threat. Pittsburgh does not have that.

Jalen Raegor could very well fall to pick 49. He is someone I would DEFINITELY look into. Keep it simple for him like Diontae and work what is best for him from there. He is a true home run threat who has game breaking potential.

Early in his career, Ben had Hines and Santonio. That got shifted to Mike Wallace and then "Mr. Third and Fifth". Assuming he is the successor, Mason has JuJu, Diontae and... who else?! No disrespect to James Washington but he is not the deep threat this team needs.

Jalen Raegor on the other hand?!?! That is not blazing speed. That is thermonuclear speed!! That is what is needed. If not that, Brycen Hopkins and don't look back!!

19. Tsrart

Tsrart Member

Sep 19, 2019
    With the comparison between 2004 Ben and 2019 MR, there's another stat that I think tells a great deal of the story.

The 2004 Steelers had 618 rushing attempts for a total of 2,464 yards with 941 yards for the Bus and 830 yards for Duce.

The 2019 Steelers had 395 rushing attempts for a total of 1,447 yards with 464 yards for Conner and 426 yards for Snell.

Sure, MR being more of a downfield threat would have helped open up the run game . . . . but I think his year would have been immensely better with Bettis and Duce in the backfield. Oh, and an OC who actually called a running play from time to time.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    And Mariota & Kenuum don't suck with all their experience?
    Mkay...:roflmao:

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok didn't know that was referring to so even still that is ridiculous. MR is not coming in here with the expectations that Ben did. He also wasn't at the level Ben was since Ben was able to come in and start in the first year. Oh and by the way as far as dumping Ben after his 3rd season when 'HE" had a losing record that is a little drastic. Let me know when Mason goes 13-0, 9-3, makes the playoffs 3 of the first 3 years and wins a SB.........please.

As for backs up I think the Saints and Titans will show you just this year what a good back up can do...........

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    All back up suck that's why they are back up but you are looking for the best of the worst. 2017 Keenum was pretty good taking the Vikes to the NFCCG. He then went on to cash in on 2 bad teams Denver and Washington. I feel a whole lot more confident with either of these 2 then the clowns we have right now.........how did they work out for us last year..........Mkay!!!!! :facepalm:

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree to disagree. Mariota has talented help in Tennessee, still sucked. Held the team back until the coaches went with their backup. Kenuum, decent when he has horses to help him. Guy was let go for an old Flacco.:roflmao:
    We have a cheap third rounder needing some experience & a first round bust that didn't have much of an opportunity in Denver. Two guys that most probably won't see the field next year. Yeah let's go get some overpaid sorry azz excuse for a backup QB... :facepalm: smh

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This right here^ MR went 5-3 as a starter in a Murphy’s Law type of season I wouldn’t wish on any QB...ok maybe TB.
    Not only did he receive little help, he was concussed and had to endure the MG situation that was unprecedented in the league. Add to that being accused of being a racist and that’s a lot to be putting on a young guys plate. We didn’t learn much from MR other than he’s a pretty tough kid physically and mentally. Being able to bounce back from everything and actually show he was learning from his mistakes (Jets) showed ME something at least....IMO it’s unfair to be throwing the kid out with yesterday’s trash based on 1 season from Hell.

Jalen Reagor.....2 words......yes please.....

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The problem with these numbers, like most stats, is that they are wildly misleading; you can make stats to support anything you want to imply. I try to judge the worth of a QB by what he does in front of my eyes.

MR throws a floating ball from his back foot and due to the routes in the NFL and the speed of the defense that is going to end up in interceptions and injured WR's. He doesn't seem to see downfield well and if you watch his college highlights it is mainly go routes.

Nobody expects anything from Duck which is why he was so loved when he got a chance.

Yes Ben was 0-2 but he is in command of the offense, he knows the defense against him, he has (or had) a strong arm, and he is "always" looking downfield. He is a top 5-7 QB in the league and without him our OC is lost.......and so is our season.