1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben got screwed by AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfire, Feb 4, 2020.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks for the info jeh.

Here's another question if anyone knows. And I apologize if this is dredging up the past, but I just want to understand the info that is out there and validity to inform my own opinion. I admit that I've always had doubt but the case was closed and charges never pursued, which is telling in and of itself.

If the alleged victim and her attorney chose to not pursue the case for whatever reason, wouldn't this have been a criminal matter in which it was up to the state or county whether or not to bring charges? That decision was not up to the alleged victim, no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think the DA found enough evidence to purse the case without the victim pressing charges. At the end of the day I think everybody involved wanted the case to go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Thanks Thorn

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't respect myself at times. Usually when I'm pissed about something.

5. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Your second point may very well be true, but I'm trying to focus on the first point. If the prosecutor didn't have enough evidence to even bring charges, let alone prosecute in court, then it doesn't matter whether the alleged victim wanted to press charges or not.

6. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    If the victim decided to prosecute it would had boiled down to a jury trial. When a jury gets involved anything is possible with he said she said.

I believe that Ben would had spent time in jail. That's based on all the "dirt" Ben had surrounding him. Lawyers like to dig up past behavior and character issues good and bad in such cases.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    See that's the thing though. The alleged victim doesn't prosecute, the DA prosecutes. I would expect the DA to prosecute if their was sufficient evidence, which didn't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Need a witness to prosecute. No witness then what case would a prosecutor have?

Mike Tyson went to jail in a situation that probably had less evidence.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Everything bad said about Ben is Ben's fault, not AB's. If you don't want bad publicity, don't do and say dumb ****.

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Is that you AB?

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Grout, I'm not arguing with your point, but unless I am missing something, the link you provide is not to a police incident report. The link goes to a witness statement form. There is a big difference between a witness statement form and a police report. The statement looks like it was made by the alleged victim, so of course it is going to give her side of what happened. I doubt very highly Ben provided a statement (because I'm sure he contacted an attorney prior to questioning who told him not only no but hell no to providing a statement). Again, I'm not arguing your stance because the way this incident ended only allows for opinion. Honestly, I only glanced at the internet, but I did not immediately see an official police incident report through a google search. If this incident happened in my jurisdiction, the police report would not be made public. Some information is public record, but not the police reports themselves.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I held a baby kitten today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    upload_2020-2-10_19-14-19.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Was it wearing a DTF shirt?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There are two issues here. One is the actual rape charge. There wasn't enough evidence to charge Roethlisberger with rape, in part because the victim's testimony was inconsistent. This is one of the many things that make prosecuting rape so difficult. She was drunk during the incident. I'm sure she was dealing with some level of mental distress after the fact. All of that together can make it very difficult to get solid testimony from a victim. That doesn't mean she is lying and it doesn't mean there was no rape or assault. It means they can't prove what happened in that room.

I have no idea what happened in that room, but we all have access to the story leading them there. We know about him getting her drunk. We know about him going to the room to wait for her and having his guys bring her to him, then shut and lock the door behind her. They then stood guard outside the room and refused to let her friends check on her. The whole thing sounds creepy at best. Remember, he wasn't a kid at this point. If I remember correctly, Roethlisberger had just turned 28. He already had two Super Bowl rings and was well on his way to the Hall of Fame, but he was still acting like some scumbag college kid. At best, his behavior was immature and stupid.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It was a baby kitten.

17. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  19. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Translation. I’m about to get hit with a **** storm of lawsuits I have to settle and no longer have sponsorship money so I better apologize and get back on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    People forget that aspect to the story. The article I read said they followed him to 3 different bars and the girl in question was drunk before they met up. The lawyer for the girl didn't pursue the matter and the DA didn't file charges. The main reason was during the investigation the button was given to the girl because she was extremely promiscuous and was reported to have been with a very high number of men, 30+.

That is no reason for anyone to be assaulted but remember, she didn't even want to go to police, her friends thought she was too drunk to consent which is why they told police. So you are a big time pro athlete with millions of dollars in your 20s and a drunk girl follows you to at least 2 different bars wearing a button that insinuates she likes sex. Then the girl, despite hearing your crude sexual remarks still decides to go with you to a back room alone, would you think she wants anything and would you act? Even the DA said it was consensual, the issue that was made was that she was too drunk to consent.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I thought there were text messages recovered where the girl in Ga. bragged that she was going to have Ben's baby?

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The "spring Break defense"

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I would think a lawyer would ask "if she was coherent enough to follow him from bar to bar, and coherent enough to text her friends about it, how is she not coherent enough to represent consent?"

24. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think that has a lot to do about the girl's lawyer not pursuing it and why the DA never filed charges.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ben has as much ro do with AB going nuts as my coworkers do to me. AB is off the rails throwing coolers with slighting his fragile ego. He is.a selfish individual who thinks everything must revolve around him. He has a victim mentality of people misrepresenting him and "controlling the narrative" when he's clearly seen on tape doing some of these things. He is apparently above the law and can endanger everyone's life driving cara over 100mph and throwing furniture off of balconies.

Add in his obvious mental health issues, he's just not a good person.

As for Ben, people have way overreacted to him. "Owner's mentality"? He's the damn quarterback. Can't get slighted when he asks you to run a route. Has he been perfect? No but his level of imperfection Is far far from many in the NFL. Anything he does imperfect in people's minds is magnified and repeated a thousand times to make one nauseated.

The reality is Ben has been a lifesaver for this franchise who's for decades seen subpar QB play at the position. Even Larry Fitgerald made this point.

Either way people make up their minds and generally believe foolishness that makes no sense anyways so it's all a moot point