1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is interested in the XFL?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Stone, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    With the XFL set to kick off tomorrow, I am actually going to watch some of it. I have never watched any of the other B-leagues but with the ever crumbling image the NFL is giving itself, I am interested in watching a different version of football.

I am becoming more and more immersed in the NHL because their players aren't all thugs and miscreants; I love how they just go to the box when the ref calls a penalty, and I love how they celebrate like men when they do something good.

I hope the XFL can overcome the uber-powerful NFL and provide us a good brand of football to watch since the NFL is garbage nowadays.

2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    We have a small group getting together tomorrow to watch the first game. I've typically not been too interested in any of the other leagues that have popped up and disappeared over the years, but with this being somewhat of a comeback rather than just a completely new league, I'm at least interested to watch to see where it goes. Not expecting much, though.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Here's a link to an article explaining all the strange rules, schedules, rosters etc. Biggest change I see is the one foot IB rule on catches, like college vs NFLtwo feet IB. Xtra points and KO and punt rules are bizzarro as well. I don't recognize many of the players names. It's more like Arena Football in that it has no ties whatsoever to the NFL. Time will tell if it's just another diluted pool of players not good enough for the NFL. :shrug:

https://www.cbssports.com/xfl/news/...everything-to-know-about-new-football-league/

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm sure it's exactly a pool of players not good enough for the NFL but then the NFL takes the freaks and they don't care about character, maybe the XFL will? There are two former Steelers that I know of. Landry Jones and Eli Rogers.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks Stone - you just answered my question about the talent level we'll see. ;)

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I'll watch it this weekend, intrested in seeing landry jones play sunday at 5 pm eastern time on ESPN

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am interested in it but will miss the first game today. The rosters are filled with ex Steelers players and Tim Lewis as well. There is start power imo with some interesting players and coaches. Some guys did well in the AAF(which I liked) also many names that have been mentions as past draft pick possibilities. Here is a link if you go to teams then you can look at rosters and depth charts.

https://www.xfl.com/en-US

There is one guy on here that some might know I reeeeeeeeally like. HARLAN MILLER, LA WILDCATS!!!!!!! :lolol::lolol::lolol: Some here will get this but the newer guys won't it is like an inside draft joke.

8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I expect it to eventually fail like it did some 20 years ago.

10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Could Cardale Jones be worse than our back-ups? Huge arm and he is throwing dimes today.

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That is a loaded question as it does not take much talent to be worse than out b/u's. Having 5 QB's on a roster heading into a training camp does not happen very often, Ben's status has a lot to do with that. Despite what has been said about 'being comfortable with the QB situation", if the team sees a possible upgrade I think Duck, Lynch, and Barrett would be dropped in a minute if the money and timing were right.

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I hope they are a thorn in the NFL's side for a long time. Cater to the real football fans & f*ck the corporations. Affordable to see every weekend, kids will be trying hard to be great.
    Pull the rug out from under Kraft, Jueerry, Goodall, Spanos, Gates, all the money grubbers.

Edit: forgot about the divas on the field, $40mil a year...AB SHOULD be upset at his side show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I still think the best chance any other league has to stick around is to be partners with the NFL. Maybe not partners but they must cooperate.

If it could act as a developmental league, that's the best chance.

They have to let 18 year olds join. Become a college alternative.

NFL can keep their "3 years removed" policy, but those 3 years could be XFL. They could be getting paid for those 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I could be, I will have to watch and see what kind of play I see.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It may be interesting; it may fill a void; it may be an alternative to the corrupt and immoral NFL; but here is the one thing I don't know if they can overcome.

Our fanaticism for football, once we can no longer play it, is based on the love of a particular team, typically the team where we grew up. That love is based on many years, even decades, of following. Many of us love a team because dad, and uncle Joe, and grandpa loved that team. The XFL will struggle to ever develop a fanatical following, and without that, they may just be entertainment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Agreed man and to be honest with NASCAR starting and golf season around the corner for me it will cut into my XFL time. One thing I will say made a difference for me as far as why the AAF didn't so good was 2 reasons. The first lack of network power which the XFL looks to have with ABC and FOX. The other is lack of info on teams, the AAF didn't have depth charts so fans couldn't understand the strengths and weaknesses when trying to gamble and fantasy. The XFL has that on their website and imo that is very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    My observations after yesterday.

Good:
    1. There are most certainly some great football players out there who didn't make the NFL, this provides another option.
    2. Better fundamental tackling.
    3. I like the kick off procedure, it should limit injuries and produce more excitement because if a returner can break through the one and only wave, he should be able to go.
    4. I like the 1,2 and 3 point PAT options.
    5. I like how the players of the winning team split $100,000 for a win, people will play to win now instead of playing for a contract.
    6. I like that officials automatically review all important plays.
    7. Less show-boating.

Bad:
    1. I didn't like the flow of the game. I know they are trying to keep the game to a time limit but it was too helter skelter. Not enough time between plays to know what's going on.

Confused:
    1. I scratched my head all day at how they have the coach mike'd up. What is keeping the other team from watching live and knowing the play calls? Is there a delay? Belichick would have this **** figured out in a heartbeat!
    2. It seems the coach is able to talk to several players, I heard the DC coach talking to receivers on the field?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Landry Jones listed as third stringer for the renegades lol

can’t catch a break

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    NFL tried to curb stomp the AFL when they were making waves, unsuccessfully. They do have many, many more resources to do in the XFL.
    Kudos to Al Davis, Lamar Hunt & all of the other AFL pioneers that stuck it out.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Better learn how to drive that hauling truck. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And the sad part? He would be an improvement over what we have now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Already hate the Roughnecks, reminds me of the Oilers.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    That was due to his injury, he starts next week

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    He would be the starter but suffered a knee injury in January. They original said he'd be out 4 to 6 weeks, and that was on Jan. 20th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    @Diamond @SteelinOhio yeah I looked further into it and it’s due to injury. I really hope he does well so his family can have a better life