1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kansas City

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014

Actually, there is a simple question here.

Who. if anyone, will challenge KC for the AFC crown in 2020. If you listen to national sports talk shows you would think there is no reason to bother playing the season. It's over.

Frankly, I think they are overdoing it .

But will the Steelers be at least one of the obstacles in KC's repeat quest?

Steel Hog said:

Sports talk shows are worth less than worthless. They blow smoke up the back sides of whoever is on top to glorify something and to fill time. Also, one shot to Mahomes knee and they are where we are. That goes for Jackson as well. Anything can happen and it usually does. Just like it did against us. All this hype and odds to repeat is click bait and non-sense and I'll wager none of them are putting money where there mouths are. Preseason is not indicative of anything, good or bad.

No matter who is on the Steeler's bus, there will be no change in destination, if the driver remains the same..

"No matter who is on the Steeler's bus, there will be no change in destination, if the driver remains the same.."

---Luv that sig---

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Two years, he has just finished his third season, he effectively redshirted 2017 behind Alex Smith. Given his status they will likely have to pay Mahomes after next season. They will not want to risk losing him.

Will he give them a discount based on the millions upon millions he is going to get in endorsements? IDK, but I think that roster management gets very difficult once your QB starts taking more than 10-12% of the cap. It will be very hard to win paying a QB $40m unless you draft several impact players every single year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe the stat is only 1 QB in the last 10 years has won a SB making 15% or more over his teams cap. I believe Ben is at 17%....We are much closer to being SF than KC. It may take us the next 10 years to find a franchise QB somewhere near Mahomes’s level. It’s gonna take some losing and some luck. That being said you can win a title following SFs blueprint. We need a improved OL and a mistake free QB. We need s system QB based on the talent we currently have...IMO

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Will they have the "SB hangover" or repeat? Dynasty with back to back?

Don't get all the Raisin love. They won a weak division coupled with a weak schedule.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Next to Al Bundy, you are the greatest HS player of all time.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I have no doubt that Mahomes is all that and more, then again we heard the same thing about Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck, they have 1 SB win combined. I have no doubt Mahomes is the next level or more than those 2 and that alone can qualify for victories in any given year. It still takes a solid team to compete year in and out. They have a core to repeat no doubt, but once he gets paid the window of opportunity evaporates quickly.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Art II, but he is okay with using the Steelers for his crusade on political correctness.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    It takes a perfect storm ( unless you cheat like a certain team )

A very , very good QB on a rookie contact ✓
    Surrounded by a good supporting cast ✓
    A good enough D ✓
    Cap space ✓

We had this for awhile ( every rookie QB deal eventually expires )

And Mahomes will also...THAT'S when just about every move and pick has to count because, That QB's monstrous contract chews up do much of that cap *insert Steelers...

The next few years will go along way to determining if the Chiefs have a chance to have one of those great runs

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    NY STEELERFAN said:

With all that said how can anyone watching KC think they were lucky wre didn't make it into the playoffs based of the PRESEASON and a couple series???? Come on we just watched KC 3 straight games come back from 10 or more points and because we did ok vs him a few series in preseason we were gonna beat them.......omg. DRUG TEST PLEASE :roflmao:
    I am the anti-Glenn!

Hey NY STEELERFAN Did you forget that the Steelers had won 3 of the past 4 games vs KC. Also were no strangers to the skills of Mahomes giving up 42 pts to them in 2018. But that was with a Defense that was between porous and sucks. Also the Steelers put 37 pts on them.

The Steelers have clearly self destructed and are in the current situation not only due to the loss of Ben.
    But I'll bet that no one in KC misses not having to meet the real Steelers again this past season.

Sep 16, 2018 KC 42 PIT 37 L -4.0 L 52.5 O
    Oct 15, 2017 PIT 19 KC 13 W -3.5 W 46.5 U
    Jan 15, 2017 PIT 18 KC 16 W -2.5 W 45.0 U
    Oct 2, 2016 KC 14 PIT 43 W -3.5 W 48.5 O

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Steelers have only faced Mahomes once in the regular season and he lit us up with 6 TD passes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Since when does back to back SB titles equal any dynasty? Really? The bar has been lowered this far now? :facepalm:

They kick out 4 or 5 Lombardi's during the 2020's then and ONLY then should it be considered a Dynasty.

The way people discuss their chances of repeating next year I guess they should just refill the parade buses tonight and keep all the streamers on them.:rolleyes:

Sure, they have a good chance to repeat but let's not hand them the next trophy just yet. It's been proven more difficult to do in the NFL than some people seem to think it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes i know they have won 3 of the last 4 however them 3 wins were when they didn't have Mahomes. One of them games was a playoff game where neither team scored a TD. By the way the one game KC won guess who the QB was.......yep Mahomes making him 1-0 vs us. Listen I want to put the black and gold glasses on as well and with Ben back we have a chance but this team we put on the field this year was scaring nobody.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was actually a little annoyed watching SF in the SB because I felt that could have been us if we didn’t get bit by the injury bug.

A good defense goes a long way, 49ers almost showed again (Denver a few years back) that defense can still win SB’s.

One big advantage 49ers have over the Steelers is TE, Kittle is a monster.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I was saying during the season that I wanted to just get in and hope the D could carry us. As bad as we were at QB and with all the injuries we had we still had a chance in the end and it was all because of defense. As for TE I am not so sure about it being a big advantage for the. I mean who would I rather have Kittle or Vance I am taking Kittle. However Vance had a very good season 2 years and yeah he was nowhere to be found this year but either was anyone else. QB play and OC imo had a lot to do with the down fall in Vane's production.

Been awhile since we chatted hope all is good with ya.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If Kittle isn't the best tight end in the league, he is in the discussion, much better than even the very good version of McDonald we saw in 2018. I'm not knocking McDonald with that. Just look at the numbers the two of them have put up. It's not close. Kittle is also a hell of a blocker and a guy who can make the spectacular play as well as the solid one.

I'm not sure he is their only advantage on offense, either, though it is tough to judge given how hard injuries hit the Pittsburgh offense in 2019.

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers are a joke lol

A fart in the wind if you must

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Once again we disagree and I know I know I am wrong not even sure why I am responding maybe hoping for an honest discussion without all the "I am right you are wrong" stuff you like to say. Anyways we are talking 2 different kinds of players here, first if you look at the stats well yes Kittle is far better. However look more into it, Kittle is their biggest threat he has 243 targets in 2 years.....Vance 127. Vance had AB, Juju and Conner all having good years in 2018, I say 2018 cause that was when we had a real QB. IMO like I said to blast you have to take last year out of it everyone had bad years. I don't disagree with Kittle being better I am just saying he isn't as big of an upgrade as was mentioned. It is very hard to put numbers up when you don't get the chances, this is what I was saying about JW this past off season when many wanted to point to him as being a bust. We had so many weapons in 2018 AB and Juju were in the top 5 I do believe in targets hard to produce when others are getting the chances, but when given the chance IMO I feel Vance did well. Remember I was a guy for the last 1 1/2 wanting to cut Vance cause of his salary and health. I am not a great fan of Vance but he is pretty good when out there.......jmo :smiley1:

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We have a QB who is going to throw tennis balls untill camp starts, mahomes would chew this team up and spit them out this year, people are dreaming again about a superbowl thats not going to happen.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Everything for us hinges on the right elbow of big Ben and our ability to keep or replace gravedigger and dupree, not to mention keeping tuitt healthy..
    I'm cautiously optimistic

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I seem to remember at this time last year, some people were talking about how the Browns would be ascendant for years, they were going up while the Steelers were going down, etc.

KC is a better team, and it helps they are in a weak division. (What happened to the Chargers?)
    They also didn't have to face Baltimore or NE in the playoffs, so good luck and health help.

There are a number of teams that will compete, if they continue improving: Buffalo, Indianapolis, and Tennessee.
    The Steelers will be there too, if they can stay healthy.
    (Hopefully the league will keep the Browns from head-hunting next season.)
    Any team looks bad when enough starters get knocked out.
    The Steelers are thin on depth, and were often forced to play 3rd stringers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I'm tired of hearing about the injury bug because every team has their share of injuries:

According to NFL.com, the NFL's 32 teams reported a total of 4,732 injuries in 2019

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    True, 2018 Vance did a good job for us. I was thinking last season but that’s not really fair. I’m sure a healthy Ben would have had him involved, don’t know what Fichtners problem was with using him.

All good man, thanks. Hope the same :thumbs up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry you are tired hearing about it. I don’t prescribed to coach speak though. Injuries matter. All the injuries they had PLUS losing your franchise QB, trying to get through the season with Hodges and Mason. Yeah, it mattered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah I was down on him as well until you look at everyone as a whole and see he wasn't the only one with down years. As I get into FA and the draft I see that really he is not a bad option for us. At first look he was one of my top cuts to save money but the more I look the more I just don't see a replacement unless you feel a rookie can step in which I have mixed feeling about. Fitch is a big problem period and I can't believe he is coming back, the good thing is if Ben is healthy he really is the OC.

Glad to hear things are good for you was wondering why you haven't been on much. Kinda felt a lot of the negativity around here had a lot to do with it, glad I am not a Mod in times like these. :drinks: As for me things are tough but could be worse my man. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Just because all teams have injuries, doesn't mean that all teams got the same number or kind of injuries. False equivalence.

For a team that lacks depth (like the current Steelers), injuries will affect them more than other teams.