1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who here is buying Dupree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There really is no good reason to assume it is going to be 10-to-15 years of quarterback hell. They will find somebody or they won't. It isn't as if there won't be some good quarterback they will have a shot it come around in the next couple of seasons. The question is if they will make the right decisions.

I don't think we are seeing even 4,000 yards from Roethlisberger again. That was two years ago before elbow surgery and with Brown. I like where they are headed with the current receiving corps, but they clearly haven't replaced what they got from Brown.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think he sees 4000 yds easily & will probably hold up like he usually does. The medical professionals know a lot more than us posters on his chances of playing again and chances of reinjury. Look for JuJu to rebound next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I have to say I agree with this. He probably won’t even be top 10 QB when he returns. He is not a $30m + QB at this stage, no chance IMO.

Yes the Steelers struggled without him, of course they did, the drop from Ben to Mason and Duck is so vast it’s crazy. Any decent QB would have had the Steelers in the playoffs last season though.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

As I had stated throughout the season, I referred to the three starting receivers (JuJu, Washington and Deontae) as Formidable #2s. I really do not think any one of them is a true NFL #1 receiver. That is not to say that any of them can't eventually emerge into that role. However that is OKAY! The strength lies with all three playing together and lining up at the same time. This rarely ever happened and was primarily due to them alternating injury issues. If we can get all three lined up at the same time I honestly think they will create problems for the opposing defenses. Each one has showcased his unique and productive skill-set at one time or another and I like what I saw.

Now, combine that with a decent dependable RB (we can't count on Conner unfortunately). I really want Bell back. Small rumblings through the grape vine have been rumored for this to happen. If not Bell, we should be able to get one through draft as it is constantly stated that good RBs can usually be found in later rounds. Now, add two decent TEs which we already have in Vannett and McDonald. They are good; just not used appropriately this past season.

As for Ben, wind the hands of time back to how he was used in his first few years. Limit his passes to 20-25/Game vs. the 40-50/Game now. That is all he really needs if the "O' described above shows up. Plus the new and improved "D" will allow to an even greater extent for the "O" outlined above to be effective.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree on having Ben lean more on the running game but see him padding his stats with a pass happy offense. Around 30-35 throws/game, remember he is in Ben's words a gunslinger.
    As far as Bell, i don't see the Jets releasing him unless they get some draft picks or some jagoff that Gase slobbers over. Still think that Ben's best shot at #7 is with a 2nd round RB if he is the 2nd or 3rd off the board.

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yes, I really believe that a good running game is key to Ben's longevity. I can't help but think of what a great outlet Bell was for Ben. I was watching some Bell highlights earlier today. Man, he was a good fit for our O-Line and vice-versa. When we had him, Brown, Bryant, Heath and others we were stacked on "O". I never use to worry about the "O". Man, how quickly the tables have turned regarding our strengths. Now, the "D" is the more dominant of the two. However, I think the pieces are there for a good "O". Maybe not as good as the one I just stated a few sentences back but still looking pretty good IMO. The current "D" plus a healthy "O" and I say.... Watch Out!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We don't want to weaken the defense too much but we also need to strengthen the offense. Ben should make a difference but at his age not enough to carry it. This is where spending a huge amount on one defensive player cuts into multiple players needed to upgrade us on both side's. You don't build for a one year run. That hurts the team overall. That is panic thinking. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I know there have been so much talk about signing Bud long term, tagging him or just letting him go and trying to get a cheaper FA to replace him. I have said my vote was to sign a FA and let him go with that being said I also threw out names who I thought could be possible replacements. Beasley, Golden, Frackell, Van Noy, Orchard, Lynch and Jenkins we some of the names.

Now I want to talk about the other option and that is tagging him and drafting a replacement for 2021. After watching the senior bowl and the Shrine game the last 2 weeks some guys stand out to me in a class I wasn't sure had a lot. I am not looking to draft one of these guys with our 2nd round pick but and looking at our 3rd round comp pick around pick #104 and our 2 forth rounders. With that said here are some name that have opened my eyes. Some of these guys shined pretty good yesterday and my jump well above our comp pick but I am listing them. Josh Uche Mich, Kenny Willekes Mich St, Bradlee Anae Utah, Alex Highsmith Charlotte, Alton Robinson Cuse, Kendall Coleman Cuse and Mike Danna Mich. Not sure how many will be there at #104 but man I like this group from what I have seen these past 2 weeks.

As far as signing him long term no thank you. We have spent the last few years trying to dig ourselves out of the hole of paying 2 DE's almost 30 mil. IMO it will be hard to pay Bud 17-18 mil and then turn around a pay TJ 20+ mil. I am sorry but you can't pay everyone and you can't keep everyone in today NFL Cap era. Here is the thing have we really seen enough from Bud to want to give him 17 mil? I mean this year he was a stud but the last 4 he was so up and down. Missing tackles, rushing so far out side he had to buy a ticket to get back in the game and just plain out right disappearing from games. Now add in this year and all them things are fixed and he played lights out. Sorry but taking into account how much he will cost, what is out there as replacements and what we have to work with as far as cap space and future signings I have to pass on the long term deal. jmo

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Uche Michigan as well....

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes he is on my list not sure how I missed him, thanks for catching that I will edit. :thumbs_up: To many name rolling around my head this morning and to much space in there.........:roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I read this and at first I thought it was just a slam on Michigan ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    By the time Watt's big contract kicks in Ben will probably be retired, if they wait and pick up Watt's 5th year option, he won't get a big payday until 2022.

13. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I say tag Dupree and keep your options open on him.

Draft-wise, we have too many needs on offense and no first round pick. An FA edge rusher, even "B" list guys are probably going to want too much money.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    true however we also have to worry about Minkah too. Not sure all the details but Ben is signed for 2 years.

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    TJ Watt is not waiting until 2022 to get paid. He would be well within his rights to seek a big extension right now. He is set to make about $2m next season. Is there any player in the league more likely to outperform their contract than TJ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He can seek all he wants, but the Steelers have control for two more seasons. I'm guessing they do something about Watt next offseason.

17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    You could be right but some of his draft class are already getting paid though, Chicago just made Eddie Jackson the highest paid safety in football for example. Zeke Eliot and Michael Thomas forced early extensions last off season by threatening to hold out. Players are taking back some of the power.

TJ could suffer a devastating injury next season and never get paid. I would not hold it against him if he starts looking to get paid now. He has earned it and then some.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    ....and to think some are worried about losing Dupree in a bidding war. If Watt gets through his option year without a contract, you can kiss him goodbye. They better not wait until then to lock him up. What is also being lost in the pros and cons debate of losing Dupree , is the almost certain 3rd round comp (next year) we would get if he left as well. To me it depends on the status of Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    All he has to do is look at his brother....

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah he is going to be our franchise player going forward imo. They will be lucky if he accepts playing on that rookie deal for another year. It’s crazy how underpaid he is for 2020

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Come to think of it, too bad they don't have the money to lock up JuJu on a multi-year deal. Coming off an injury, low-stat year, what better circumstances to sign him long term. I definitely think he rebounds and if he does in a big way next year with Ben....then just put another shovel of coal on the cap fire.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Those three are the future for this team to build around. TJ, minka, juju. They won't come any cheaper then right now to extend.

AV, foster, Pouncey for chuks, finney, gray, feiler, banner. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah. I think it’s tricky with JUJU . While I’m pretty confident he bounces back with Ben at the helm, what if there’s no Ben. He hasn’t proven yet that he can perform without a QB Ben’s caliber and a bonafide number 1.
    Since the popular opinion is he was hurt by poor QB play...do we extend him without knowing the future of the QB position?

24. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Signing Bud screams of the jason Gildon contract to me. Like the cap space thread pointed out, we are starting to pay for all the restructuring and bad contracts Colbert has done here. Time to take our medicine and rebuild. Time to maybe start having a fire sale on some of our players that have value. Gonna be a tough stretch but players like Pouncey are clearly declining yet have a good rep around the league still.

25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I agree with the arguments about locking up Watt early. He is absolutely a core component of the future of the defense. Bud is not and will be a cap casualty IMO.