1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who here is buying Dupree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 22, 2020.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Pun intended.

I'm not on the band wagon for any type of huge contract. I'm not even too sure about a franchise tag. I think he's the product of the play of his teammates around him.

I honestly think if the Steelers were to let him go, he becomes another ex Steeler LB that goes on to be very mediocre for another team.

they'd be overpaying for mediocrity.

IMO. since he won't accept a reasonable offer just let him walk. One good contract year doesn't do it for me. I'm not buying it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I would let him walk away personally, and then try to find a free agent that offers better value. If one of Ola or Skipper could slot in that would be great, but there was no evidence whatsoever in 2019 that either of them will be ready for that job.

I don’t think Bud is necessarily a product of those around him, not wholly anyway. He had some injuries that held him back over the years and the scheme at times saw him dropping in to coverage a lot. He has been rushing the passer almost all the time lately and doing it well for the most part, he is a good player but at $ 17m or whatever the tag number is, I think that money could be better used elsewhere.

It sounds like they are determined to keep him and they will probably tag him. I am not a big draft guy but if there is likely to be a good edge rusher available when the Steelers pick in round 2 I would not be opposed to using their first selection at OLB, trade up closer to the top of the round if needed. Try to sign Finney instead of Bud meaning they can put off drafting a center / guard until next year.

3. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Pay the man...

We could go with Ola or Skipper, but neither has any experience or success, that is even a bigger risk than not having Bud. They belong being back ups and do their due time. In the previous years, Bub played well, but he was just a step slow to make the play, where in '19 he made that step.

Besides even if we allowed him to go, we can save cap $, we will be even desperate to fill all those holes (OLB, OL, TE, RB, WR,) with players who we really don't know. Buyers beware: Green, Moncrief, Burnett

4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    That's the point right there. In very general terms, our secondary was the weak link in our defense last season. There will be growth on the defense as it plans for, and adjusts to, a full season with Minkah. Steven Nelson is going to compliment Haden this season and Edmunds, hopefully, will be given the shot to bulk up and transition to LB. IMO, the defense is going to be more complete this season. We might not duplicate the flashy stats of last season, but I think we'll be better. I'd rather have half a dozen passes defensed than five completions and a pick. I'd take half a dozen qb hurries/knock downs over five comfortable throws and a sack. I'm just not as concerned with the flashy stats as I am with solid, consistent, balanced defense. The stats and picks will come, but you can't rely on them for victories.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tomlin is paying very close attention to the Senior EDGE Rushers in Mobile. Kenny Willekes is someone to look out for. Another one is Josh Uche.

Curtis Weaver or Darrell Taylor remain my wildcards though overall. Weaver has good athleticism but great overall technique and discipline wheras Taylor is the classic freak level Linebacker who lacks consistency. Both have hot motors which will fit in nicely with the team.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm not sold on him, the consistency is not there. But KC and MT seem to be.

So I mentioned 12million a year for 4-5 years in another thread as opposed to that daunting 16-17mil franchise tag. What is the price you guys are looking for if they sign him? The FO surely seems intent on signing him and TJ may be doing media speak but he has been singing his praises, so what are your realistic guesses?

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah TJ is singing his praises because if Dupree gets 16mil. Watt is gonna get over 20. Don’t be surprised if he’s looking for money sooner than later after what he’s seen his brother go through injury wise...

• Like Like x 1
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Wonder what kind of locker room politics will be involved when Watt's contract is finalized in comparison to Dupree's if Bud signs a long term deal this offseason? Same position and so close together time wise. I don't know that it will, but I wonder if they take it into consideration?

Also, if they franchise Dupree does that in effect, make it his last year because no way can they afford both.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Letting Dupree walk is fine, but this could be Ben’s last shot at a ring... can’t go into the season with unknown commodity or a subpar one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Watt is singing his praises because one with the other makes each player better. TJ has more natural talent but Bud is also finally a force to reckon with. Keeping both of them is essential to the success of this passing rush. Take either of them away and the pressure will be neutralized.

I would definitely try and sign him but not break the bank. I'd like to see Bud stay but some team will overpay for him and he will fade into the sunset. He's not that big of a difference maker on his own.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Can we afford to have close to 40 mil. tied up in 2 OLBs in the next year or two? Yeah we can probably afford it with other contracts expiring but at the expense of what other positions? Minkah will be up. Edmunds if he turns it on will be up. JUjU etc....

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO it’s either franchise tag or let him walk unless he’s gonna sign a long term deal at 12.mil or less...

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I generally agree, though I think his surge in pass rushing success was probably 50% due to the talent around him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    It doesn’t matter who is outside linebacker if Duck Hodges is playing QB. All our marbles are on Ben we have no backup plan

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Last year Barr got 5/67.5 13.5yr, Z. Smith got 4/66 16.5yr and P. Smith got 4/52 13yr so imo you have to start here for Bud right? 4/64 16yr is my guess but I am thinking it will be more. I am all for going cheaper on someone like Golden, Fackrell or even Beasley and using the money save elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sure there would be guys lining up to play next to Heyward and opposite Watt and getting 1 on 1 matchups from a QBs blindside.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Perhaps, but they are still going to want to get paid, too.

I still think the franchise tag is the way to go. I don't trust Dupree long term, but I would take the gamble on one more season, then move on. There is no guarantee they can sign somebody who will make an impact and the current options on the roster just aren't good enough to start.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree the franchise tag is probably the best option but at the expense of what other players that need to be signed? Yes there is no guarantee that whoever they bring in will have the same impact but there’s also no guarantee Dupree has the same impact. He’s only done it once. All I’m saying is they should explore all their options and not jus settle because they are comfortable with him and he’s their draft pick. A guy like Robert Quinn had 11.5 sacks last year for Dallas. That was on 637 snaps...roughly 300 less than Dupree. He made 10 mil. last year and is a FA. Yes he’s a older player but if we’re talking franchise tag for Dupree,we’re talking stop gap just the same. Kick the tires on Quinn and others. Fackrell is another.
    I’m willing to bet there are capable guys who are willing to play on a 1yr or 2 yr option type of deal. Who wouldn’t want to play next to Cam and with TJ and the opportunity pin their ears back 800+ times?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey mcam and everyone else.

There are a number of arguments here on what to do and why the so-called “break-out” season for Mr. Dupree. I have read all the posts here up to this point and have talked to people outside of this board. I have come to four very different conclusions listed below. They are ranked in order from most unlikely (#1) for his so-called breakout year to what I believe is the most likely (#4).

(#1) Definitely Not: It was a contract year. Uh! Uh! Not buying it at all. You do not half-bake it for four years, at any job, and then all of a sudden turn it on. Way, way, too risky IMO. Especially knowing, that your boss could release you at any time. Only a complete fool would pull such a move. Once again, IMO.

However, on this one, with the Jarvis Jones “Bust” still looming fresh in everyone’s’ minds, the Front Office was going to honor the full length of Bud’s five-year contract with the hope that the “light” would finally turn on for him. Management did not want to have egg on their faces for a second time with another 1st Round Bust.

Add it up folks. Four years wasted with Jarvis. The first four wasted with Bud. That is almost a decade without the other bookend OLB/Edge Rusher that the Steelers have been desperately trying to find. Makes sense to me as I am writing this.

(#2) Maybe: He was finally healthy. I may buy that in part. However, he was not hurt for the entire four years of mediocre play.

(#3) Quite Possibly: Coaching philosophy changed to have him rush more than drop back into coverage. Once again, I am in the middle of the road on this one as well. However, there were still some games that he did not make a peep.

(#4) Most Probable: Better players around him. Now, this is a school of thought that I can get on board with. Think about it folks. This was his first year with all of these 1st round picks surrounding him.

I have to agree with mcam and Steel_Elvis on this one. He had an awesome supporting cast around him on Defense which in turn enhanced his play. I am not saying that he would not have gotten somewhat better in Year #5 without all of these new player additions to the “D” but IMO it definitely was the major contributing factor.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

20. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    From the info I gathered from those who know, if we franchise tag him then we possibly lose players like Nick Vannett, Vance McDonald, Tyson Alualu, BJ Finney, Mark Barron, Anthony Chickillo, Matt Feiler, & a few others to stay within the cap. Is 1 player worth mortgaging the roster?? What if we choose Bud, get rid of half our roster, & then this fool either get hurt or reverts back to being mediocre?? IMO, I like Bud but he's not worth the trouble. We're better off giving the keys to Ola & Skipper hoping they can hold the fort...

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    et him go and throw in a 2nd round rook..he will have it easy w watt on the other side

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We can't afford everybody, with Watt, JUJU, Minkah Heyward, Decastro
    contracts on the Horizon and with Ben's absurd salary for the next two years
    I think you let some other team over pay him.

23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not me ... injury prone, inconsistent, and to give him dominating status money would be a mistake. But, on the other hand, I do remember a guy name Foote. That took some time to come around and ended up being very good

24. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    "We're better off giving the keys to Ola & Skipper hoping they can hold the fort"...

Yeah, fans wonder why promising young players get near zero snaps and are not given a chance to prove anything.

Anyway, on Dupree, I would not want to have to make that decision. Being wrong on that one surely some heads must roll.

Oh wait, let Rooney make it. Not likely to fire himself. :smiley1:

Think about it, say you let McDonald go. He recovers and excels elsewhere, ehh, so what. There are a bushel of his equals in the draft and the cap savings might even net another position starter.

But then, even if it does turn out bad. Most will say it was a risk worth taking. The same with all the other tough calls.

But if Watt is a solo act next season and $12+M is shot in the ass---____________Agggggg!

Hmm! They say every cloud has a silver lining.

Maybe then they would be forced to bring in some fresh eyes to straighten out the mess.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hargrave would be a better signing. Dupree = Woodley 2.0

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1