1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

An apology...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    If anyone was offended by my views on racism in another thread, then I sincerely apologize. It was only intended for humor and I had no agenda to be honest....I'm not Colin Kaepernick....I stand for the national anthem and my Ebay store has an american flag as its logo...Maybe that means something...

Anyway, I hope everyone on this thread is always healthy and happy. I never intend to attack anyone personally in any of my posts and if it feels like I have, I apologize for that as well....

Take care all.

EDIT: Eff the Flyers...

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :applaud:

Not many people owe up to their transgressions in this day and age and that is for certain. A step in the right direction. Perhaps not to the point at which all whom you have offended will be so accepting but a good first step in understanding that pride and ego gets one nowhere.

Well said good sir! :drinks:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Truce. And I apologize if I was a dick to you. I know what it’s like to be ostracized for something you have no control over. And it’s something I hope you never have to deal with again.

• Like Like x 2
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Stick to sports :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Come on man the dude was apologizing......smh

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Former Deadspin reader?

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

I think you've raised some interesting points in other threads around these issues (at least for me, sitting over the Atlantic), but agree they're best kept off the Steelers forum.

I've been posting on this board since (I think) the second day it went live, and I've noticed over the years that the main thing which seems to instantly wind people up is feeling like they're being misrepresented by another poster. That's almost always the nerve that gets sprung, and the insults start flying around. Certain topics lend themselves to that more - politics, race, etc. - and that's why things will always blow up when they encroach on to the Steelers discussion, and why it's good to avoid it even if it seems entirely pertinent.

There was one time where a certain thing happened where politics couldn't be kept out of the Steelers discussion (which you've indirectly referenced above), and it didn't go well. We lost some good people out of it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    " Obviously " race is a touchy subject...I have a Son in the Military, Dad was in WWll, Uncles in WWll, Cousins in Desert Storm...

It has a major place in my heart...And I get fired up over Assholes, imo...Like Kaepernick and the like, It's not about race to me... It's about my Son putting his life on the line for this Country, And guys like him disrespecting it...

Funny part is, My Son tells me that he isn't offended at all, says " Dad, That's why they have the right to do that" ...Guess he's more mature than me...But even though he's 22 years old, He's still my Baby... Understand

Race is, and always has been tricky...My partner at work is Black, me White...We get along great...Great person, great worker, Go to each others houses, wife's are friends...

Then you have Assholes like AB...He is an ******* with a capital A...A Black person, and an *******...Just like there are Assholes who are White... It's not the the color of your skin that makes you a bad person... It's as simple as just being a bad person...

I'm one of the toughest on here about Tomlin...You know what, Tomlin really seems like a great PERSON...Never in trouble, not a loudmouth, nothing handed to him and worked his way up from the bottom...and did well for himself...

But NOW...I just don't like him as a COACH...Nothing whatsoever about the color of his skin...I think we can do much better...If the next Coach is Black, the best candidate, a good Coach, and we win...I would be happy as can be...

Go Steelers!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok Sir; since you did apologize for your shortcomings I will pull back my request to have either Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton pay you a visit your in the clear carry on!!!:rawk:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    *You're

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No disrespect intended on my part Pengvin. People come here to put their life's troubles on hold in a way. Steelers & football is why i am still here. Your chess grading was interesting & innovative, kudos to you. Hope to see more of your views on what ails our team & what we are getting right.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    $$$ post :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Thanks Buddy

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Hated to remove anything from that post, because it was spot on. But just replying to this one point.

And I am not trying to stir up anything by saying this, but this is why I don't like the Rooney Rule. I totally understand that any obstacles to minorities being given consideration should be removed from the equation, but trying to force teams to interview people who might not even be qualified, or let's say, "right for the job/team/organization" is wrong. I just want "the best candidate" to get to the interview and get the job without anyone saying the decision for or against was racially motivated. Why can't we just interview the best candidates and hire the one who fits?

I'll shut up now.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    At the risk of taking us all on a bad tangent, I will say something in defense of the Rooney Rule.

The thinking is that African American candidates weren't getting a fair shot and there is some logic to that. Most of the players are African American and it has been that way for a long time, yet white coaches still get most of the top jobs. The Rooney Rule is an attempt to address institutional racism, but the rule is flawed. Owners don't have to actually hire minorities. They just have to interview one candidate and so far, there are minority coaches who have been willing to take interviews when they know they aren't serious candidates, which helps owners work around the rule. You can't force owners to hire a coach they don't want and ownership in the NFL is still dominated by white guys. It isn't changing any time soon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This thread gets to stay in the Steelers section :hmm:

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well while you’re here you might want to consider apologizing to us for some of your off the wall stuff...:hehehe::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm the one who deserves the apology. I've been correct on almost everything.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My feeling on the Rooney rule was not to force owners to hire coaches that they don't want to hire because they are a minority but rather to expand their search to coaches they might not be aware of. You might not find a head coach but you could find some candidates for position coaches or even coordinators. If we look at the current hiring cycle a couple of these teams had their guy picked before the interview's started, a lot of them the flavor of the month. They aren't allowing for that possibility of a good coach coming out of nowhere. Dallas's little bring in Marin Lewis bs so they comply with the rule was pathetic

In the same breath I think the rule has hurt minority coaches more than it has helped. Some got jobs that perhaps they weren't right for because of the rule and then failed because they weren't right. A couple of Dungy's assistants went that route, the Lions jump to mind .

To the OP it is a very narrow line to walk when discussing the topic of minority hires in the NFL and it often leads to tempers flaring. I applaud the attempt to say I'm sorry I got a bit off base there. As others have said we lost some good friends over the political stuff a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin still going to Washington?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I have to agree with you. I hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Why do people still not understand that what those players were doing had absolutely nothing to do with the military? When that all broke loose all sorts of people chimed in and claimed they will never watch the Steelers again and they are finished because of the incident in Chicago. My question is why do you not climb on your high horse when you go to a game and the anthem is playing, there are 45,000 drunks in the beer line and in the stands laughing it up. Where is the outrage?? Military service has been turned into a belief that if you serve, you are more American or that you are owed a debt that can never be repaid.

I served in the military and no one owes me a thing, a true soldier doesn’t want your sympathy or special thanks everyday. My father served in WWII and came home to segregated bathrooms and was unable to drink from the same water fountain. In fact, in the southern states he was not allowed out after dark, even after serving in Europe. To make it worse, former Nazi soldiers came to the US, collected SSI and were treated better than he was. Would you be singing the same tune if your dad came home from the fighting and was told he needs to use the colored bathroom? Would feel like you needed to question the way things are going in the country without insulting military service? I tell you this because you cannot possibly understand what other people have gone through. You have not lived it and your family who served did not either. Kapernick made a point to state over and over that his issue was with current events and the disparity in the treatment of some minorities. I love to see your reaction if someone told you that someone close to you could not eat in the same restaurant as the others. Did you read the quotes from the Pittsburgh area fire chief about Tomlin a couple years ago? You think that is a one off? It’s a sad but true reality. I agree that Tomlin is not above criticism and everyone has a right to voice their opinion, however, sometimes it can be simply hate.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I stated I don't hate him...And I stated you should stand for the Flag, and kneel at the Cross...If you want to evoke change or make some sort of statement...Athletes should take a different venue than disrespecting the Flag...If people hate it here so much, You're allowed to leave...How did the kneeling work out for Kaepernick...Other than getting paid for being an Ass

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.