1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree vs Hargrave

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 16, 2020.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    tenor (1).gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Given that seem determined to drag this argument all over multiple threads, yes, you do seem to be triggered right now.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Has Carolina hired a gm?
    Anybody know what Colbert's status is for the next draft?

4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Haven't read anything about Panthers GM search.

Colbert probably took some time off. Rooney said he expects Colbert to be back with the team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Sorry but Hargraves snaps Before Tuitts injury’s where 37%, 47%, 58%, 39%, and 49%...... 1st five games . He has earned his roll and will only get better.

Also take notice the NFL is changing to a run oriented scheme and a great DL is needed and with Bush getting better our Run defense has a chance to really be special ...

Cajun
    <><

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Colbert’s Contract last thru the draft ...... Rooney did say he felt good about Colbert coming back another year..... for whatever that’s worth

Cajun
    <><

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hargrave has already played four seasons in the NFL. There really isn't much reason to assume he will get better. He's very good as he is, but it's not as if he was inexperienced in 2019.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    OLB>NT :shrug:

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    :beathorse:

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sure is just ask GB.....lol

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Are we sure OLB>NT?? GB is getting their asses handed to them. Can’t stop the run.

12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    GB doesn't have enough speed at the LB position.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hargraves > Dud :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Both SB teams have great solid DL with Depth....... hmmm

Cajun
    <><

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Speed? They’re getting run right at and over. GB also has 2 of the better OLBs in the league. Their DL is getting manhandled. Do you see the holes being opened up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Their LB's don't have enough side line side line speed to plug the holes and get to the outside runs. Martinez is slow.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t know I must be watching a different game. I’m seeing the SF OL manhandling their DL and then getting to the second level as well. SFs WRs are also doing a great job downfield. If your DL isn’t gonna collapse running lanes I wouldn’t have high hopes for the LBs. Gotta block the DL first and they are.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Both teams also run a 4-3 Defense. :thumbs_up:

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's easier to replace a NT than a OLB, Art II and Tomlin have both said Dupree is a priority, not a word on Hargrave :shrug:.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I assume that's the case for every game I watch, with some of these guys.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnance.

Yes, for me I want to see where Bud is at. Some people say he turned it on for a contract year. I have constantly stated here that it would be too risky to play mediocre for four years and then all of a sudden turn it on in the final year of a contract. Uh-Uh, not buying it. I think the change in position coach, specifically the departure of Porter (who I love as a player, not so much as a coach.) played a big part in Bud's success this past year.

Hargrave is awesome but I still want a traditional NT in the Casey Hampton proto-type to team up with him to cause utter havoc. Let that Casey Hampton type play 1st and 2nd down to occupy two blockers which may lead to a sack, loss running yardage or a turnover and have Hargrave come in and finish up the series once you have the opposition in third and long. I am sick of the argument that the true NT type is obsolete. I do not buy it. You can mix and match both types to accomplish the end goals. I am not worried about snap counts as some here have countered argued. It is about production; which I see being more effective with the two different types of NTs playing for us.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    https://www.si.com/.amp-steelers/nfl/steelers/gm-report/javon-hargave-market-value-2020

Production? Here’s an article speaking to why his value is up and it’s due to production.

Cajun
    <><

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I’m on record as being. 4-3 fan and has a desire to see the Steelers return to a 4-3..... not going to happen and I understand why....

Point is the game starts in the trenches, Heyward is in year 10.... maybe 3 good years left, Tuitt can’t stay on the field and Alualu is old but a warrior, almost didn’t make the the squad this year.

Hargrave is But 26 and proven to play multiple DL positions and very productive when in the game.

We lose him to a one year wonder what happens to our DL.?

Cajun
    <><

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey cajunyankee.

I am not negating what you and the article are saying. I actually think overall there is a lot of validity to what you are stating but with going even one step further. It was not just Hargrave that has helped to make Dupree better, it probably is the addition of the other pieces of the “D” that have also been acquired this year as well. Major pieces at that: Haden (I know was already here), Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Barron and the 101 other First Rounders that we now have on the team’s new and improved “D”. These players only joined the club this past year and they were all very impactful. So much to the point that not only was Dupree the beneficiary of their presence but Watt having his best year ever as well. Coincidence for Dupree's new found success? I do not think so.

I still think that the exodus of Porter and then Butler taking over to coach the linebackers (which is forte) also contributed to Bud’s breakout year and the Defense becoming a big time force overall. With this Defense, I found myself not worrying as much anymore about blowing leads, giving up third and longs and other the ills that plagued our team for years. The new player additions on "D" side of the ball collectively made this unit one of the best in the NFL. Actually, I think all of the spots are covered except for Edmunds who, IMO, is the weak link on the “D”.

I know I am side-tracking a bit here, but we cannot wait until Edmunds develops during the final year of his rookie contract like Dupree. This causes all kind of problems when trying to negotiate that potential second contract. I am hoping, that Edmunds “gets it” fast so we do not have to worry about him testing FA or applying a Tag as we are now at the point with Bud.

IMO, when you add it all up, it probably is a combination of the factors that you and I have pinpointed.. Something gave we know that much. You do not go along for four years playing at a mediocre level and then the light just goes on. At least this is not common IMO. For me, IMO, a 1st Rounder usually will start showing his true colors by the end of Year #2 at the latest. Now grant it, in Year #3 Bud had a wrist injury that plagued him all season. However, he still floundered in Year #4.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey STEELWINDS
    We can all hypothesize on how or why we witnessed a big jump in production from Dupree. My money is on The Money. There aren’t many more important motivators than money especially for a pro athlete trying to provide for his and his family’s future. Dupree threw caution to the wind this year and threw his body all over the field contrary to the stand around the pile approach he has used his previous years. IMO money was the catalyst for his new found tenacity. Another factor is his increased % of attempts at rushing the passer. He logged 950 snaps and there were more opportunities to strictly rush the passer than in previous years, hence the jump in sacks.

Also don’t dismiss the idea that it was mutually beneficial to Dupree and those responsible for drafting him to see him go out and perform before it was too late. With the soon to be release of Artie Burns another recent 1st round pick, don’t discount the unleashing of Dupree may have had something to do with avoiding the embarrassment of missing on another 1st round pick.