1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread only for Tomlin detractors....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    hey burgh,
    I know you wrote this 8 pages ago, but let me congratulate you for figuring out just how much hot air can fit into one very long worthless message board post. I’m surprised anyone could even get through those 11 paragraphs let alone agree with it.

those of you who agreed should all be ashamed of yourselves.

below are my comments in bold to your freaking stupid post.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey STEElWINDS. Nice post!
    You and @NY STEELERFAN knocked it out of the park....I too was a huge supporter of MT ,from the first time I heard him speak I was impressed. When he lead us to a SB in year 2 , man what wasn’t there to love? I thought to myself this guy is gonna do great things for us. He was young ,enthusiastic and had a way with connecting with the players. I figured the sky was the limit. Once he got experience and gained more and more knowledge we would find ourselves in the mix of serious contenders for years to come. Yes we had some tough breaks and losses in his first few years after the SB but that was expected. We all know how hard it is to win and don’t need anyone to remind us of that when coming to his defense. Even the SB loss to GB...OK you can’t win them all. We’ll be back because our HC gets it and he’ll only get better and better......

Welp....fast forward to what’s going to be his 10 th season since that SB defeat and we’re still waiting to get back.
    Between 2011-2016 we had a mixed bag of success. The Tebow loss was inexcusable and that planted a bad seed. The expectations and tension was building from that point. Where Tomlin really started to lose me was the lopsided loss in the AFCCG against NE. It wasn’t even so much him where I focused my blame it was on the DC Butler. I thought that a change was needed at DC and Tomlin didn’t make the change. Then came the loss to Jax and still no change. Although we did get rid of our OC who was actually doing his job. I don’t buy into the excuse that Tomlin doesn’t have say over his staff. Any coach that is that highly regarded should have say over his staff. If not I think it says a lot about the trust in the HC.

My argument all along hasn’t been so much about Tomlin. It’s the fact that he relies so heavily on his coordinators and they are sub par. So if you have a HC who fails to recognize this ,who is ultimately to blame? Who signs off on the game plans? All this time and I still don’t think he has put his stamp on this team. To me he hasn’t progressed schematically to where he should be at this point in his career and still relies heavily on his coordinators. That’s a problem when your not willing to acknowledge their shortcomings and make the necessary changes. NYSF brought up the GB example. One of the things Aaron Rodgers mentioned when he talked about the issues he was having with Mcarthy was that he said that his philosophy especially on offense was behind the times. Doesn’t Fichtner seem to fit that description? Now it wouldn’t be as much a problem if Tomlin was a offensive guy like LaFleur is in GB. He would be able to step in and bridge the gap. RF will never be a OC outside of Pittsburgh. That should tell us something?

Circling back to Butter. All these years of fielding a embarrassing defense and he’s still here. Now with all this talent playing up to their potential ,now he’s a good DC? No he’s still not. It shouldn’t take 8 1st rounders to field a competent defense and where was our defensive minded HC to step up during all this? He almost made national news this year because he made a few drawings on a chalk board. No need to rehash the horrendous drafting and development of all the DBs selected under MTs watch. Someone was going to explain the “ dynamics” of how challenges work the other day and neglected to mention that they actually had to bring in a coach to help MT with his challenges and yet we didn’t think a QB coach was necessary...smh. Are going to have to wait for the offense t9 catch up now? Are we just going to find ourselves in a vicious cycle,not being able to compete without a roster littered with high draft picks. There are coaches doing more with less all across the league...

To try and sum this up. Tomlin is a players coach and a motivator. Until I see him put his stamp on this team, call the plays on O or D and or at least be seen holding a play sheet I’m going to figure he’s not particularly a X and O guy and still relies heavily on his coordinators. When your coordinators are top notch you can get away with just doing what you do well. When they’re not and you fail to recognize and or do something about it, then it becomes a problem . The HC is ultimately responsible for the fate of his team. **** or get off the pot....

• Winner Winner x 4
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My "stupid post" generated a response from you. Why did you respond if my post was stupid? Head scratcher.

4. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    The fact that you responded like that to my comprehensive post refuting your nonsense is classic. Thanks for proving my point!

The standard is the standard for you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You showed disrespect to the board. When you drag arguments all over multiple threads because you can't handle losing, that is disrespectful to the board.

What you don't respect are well-argued points supported by evidence. That is why you rely so heavily on personal attacks. It's all you have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No need to respond because I made my points already. Tomlin is a good coach. He is still the coach of the Steelers. I understand why he is still the coach. It's ok if you don't and think he should be fired. No problem.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or maybe they didn't like the job Fichtner did as QB coach in 2019 :shrug:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except for the fact Duck started killing the team at the end of the season with his turnovers, that's why they only won 8 games.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is a bit over the top. Tone it down please.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What this thread somehow has turned into....

:duel:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey thesteeldeal.

I will respond to several of your quotes that caught my attention. I hope you do not mind the blue colored font as it makes it a little easier to organize my statements.

Your Quote:

“Who signs off on the game plans? All this time and I still don’t think he has put his stamp on this team. To me he hasn’t progressed schematically to where he should be at this point in his career and still relies heavily on his coordinators".

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes to the point that he still has not “put his stamp on this team“. Honestly, I really do not know what his trademark is, if there is one at all. Besides an overwhelming history of losing to inferior teams, sadly enough. Twelve years into his tenure and there really is not one to pinpoint.

His resume was paper thin to begin with but that was okay. We all need a starting point with our occupations. The name of the game is to “Grow” with time. The part that is not okay is that I have not seen any “Growth” from this man as an administrator AKA Head Coach. He has had plenty of time to “find his way” to develop his trademark, yet over a decade later and he still has not. Very disappointing. As I stated, I was extremely high on him during those first five years but that has all evaporated now. I think it really all began with the loss in Super Bowl XLV.

Your Quote:

“It shouldn’t take 8 1st rounders to field a competent defense and where was our defensive minded HC to step up during all this”?

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes again. Where do we start with the accountability? How many 1st Rounders? Wow! We should be pitching shutouts every game. I went through a very “well-documented and researched post on my part of Tomlin’s background that indicated his coaching background is defense.

The poster stated that he does not know where Tomlin got that reputation. I researched it back to his collegiate internships which take him back to numerous experiences regarding coaching jobs on the defensive side of the ball. Well, I never heard back from that poster; which is typical. As I stated, some Tomlin loyalists just want to spout off based on emotion and not facts.

Your Quote:

“No need to rehash the horrendous drafting and development of all the DBs selected under MTs watch”. No, let’s rehash it (smile).

As far as the “secondary flops” it is completely ridiculous; more specifically the failures on drafting and developing of players. It is totally mind-boggling. I would really like to know how many DBs we have drafted under his tenure. We know this much, not one, I repeat, not one has panned out. That is totally disgusting and unacceptable.

This is my suggestion regarding our Front Office’s inability to draft and develop our secondary. Here it is: Just let other teams handle that part for us and we can then work out deals to attain them. Just look at the make-up of our current secondary: Haden (Browns), Fitzpatrick (Dolphins), Nelson (Chiefs) All very good. Now, the weak link, Edmunds, Status: Drafted, and looking more and more like another DB draft bust at this point. I am pulling for Edmunds. I really am. If you don the Black & Gold I am down with you. Come on Terrell!

Your Quotes:

• “To try and sum this up. Tomlin is a players coach and a motivator”.
    • “he’s not particularly a X and O guy and still relies heavily on his coordinators".
    • “When your coordinators are top notch you can get away with just doing what you do well. When they’re not and you fail to recognize and or do something about it, then it becomes a problem”.

You summed it perfectly. You can only hide your deficiencies for so long. Tomlin’s, as well as his week-ass coaching regime’s, have been exposed for quite some time now.

Remember Everyone, in the end, Tomlin supporter or not, we are all here for the same "common denominator". That is to win championships. Whoever is at the helm to lead us to that end goal, then let it be.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    :applaud:

epic-win-when-bullets-dodge-you-icanhascheezburger-com-b丫拿奔ら-epic-wins-48854571.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey NY STEELERFAN.

Yes, as you quoted: "The prize especially when we have all this talent is super bowls".

That is all that matters. Winning the Super Bowl. End of Story. I expect it every year. The bar should be set that high every year. Some may say it is unrealistic. And? Then get out of here as far as I am concerned. I play to win! And I am pretty sure that if you ask any one in the Pittsburgh Steelers Organization, from the Owners to the Vendors (no knock on the Vendors) their responses would be the same: TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL. Hey, that is my mode of thinking and I would think that it is the same for every Steeler fan out there (smile).

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Since Mike Tomlin took over as coach in 2007, the Steelers have drafted 14 cornerbacks. They deemed only one good enough to sign to a second contract, William Gay, the first cornerback drafted under Tomlin as a fifth-round pick in 2007.

Taken from a PPG article October 26,2018....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And William Gay got absolutely shredded by Marsha every time we played them...It actually looked like he would look where Gay was at pre snap, Then throw the ball to he was " guarding "...For YEARS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Yep that was Tomlins guy "Big play William Gay ":eek:

18. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelers were in the 2017 AFC championship game guess I missed something

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The thing about Willie too was he was horrible when he was here. Then he went to AZ and came back and was actually pretty good...I guess whatever he learned in the year or two he was there was better than what he learned here the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Ignore button is a wonderful tool with this one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Chuck thesteeldeal...Weird name

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. TomlinSux

Oct 8, 2017
    Don’t you dare confuse people with facts. How dare you!:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He went from being an outside corner in his first go around, to being a competent nickel. He should never have been an outside corner. That’s his I see it anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  24. TomlinSux

Oct 8, 2017
    Once again...the ignore button is a great tool with this one!! Just saying!

• Like Like x 1
  25. TomlinSux

Oct 8, 2017
    You mean that great shut down CB Willie Gay?? He would not be a dime CB on any other team. Yep... Another one of Tomlin’s boys.

• Agree Agree x 1