1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Plan for Edmunds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dexter402, Jan 12, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I agree we had a great defense last year; and they should have been the best in the league if the offense could have stayed on the field longer.

As good as this defense was last year, they could be great again if all the pieces were returning this year. The addition of Tuitt in 2020 could have pushed this defense to one of the great all time.

But, they are not all returning next year. We can not afford it. I do not see any way the Steelers can return all their starters from 2019.

Barron will be gone because of his cap value; we can use the money saved by cutting Barron to resign 1 of these FA players. Bud may half to go if TJ wants to be paid, Hilton may want to try out greener pastures, and last but not least Hargrave is going to want to be paid.

Williams will be our starting LB, but has some major holes in his passing game. Moving Edmunds to LB is the smart play to help Williams, and Maybe Bud's replacement.

Edmunds was by far the worst position player on the defense last year; you can't argue that one. Until march rolls around and Davis signs with another team, I still have hope that the Steelers will resign him and bounce Edmunds to the LBs

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The plan for Edumunds should be to let him develop at SS.

4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Merriam-Webster (ever heard of them?) defines "work in progress" as a project that is not yet finished. There is no negative connotation associated with that phrase save the one in your head. Maybe your parents were severely disappointed in you and used that phrase to describe you. Were you not hugged as a child? Regardless, you need to stop projecting here. We're not equipped to diagnose or treat your neurosis.

Please tell me it's a free service.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Vince back as a starter is going in reverse for this defense.

It took Ryan Clark several years to become good at safety. Edmunds does many things well, his coverage needs some fine tuning but not near as bad as some think. Communication back there is still not where it needs to be but changing parts will not help that every year.

Hilton could be replaced by sutton I believe. That means layne has to be ready to go as well. If we design hilton, I'm ok with that too. This is sutton final contract year. We definitely need to add one at some point.:cool:

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Both safety spots are not created equally. Kinda gets to sit back there and face the offense most of the time. Edmunds has many more duties including helping stop the run. In his coverage you see him chasing a player down field too. How many times did you see kinks having to do that right off the LOS? Big difference.:cool:

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand the difference between a SS and FS. The point of the article and the general idea of possibly moving Edmunds is to accentuate his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses. He is better around the LOS and is a weakness in coverage down the field ,where his lack of ball skills and the poor angles he takes are magnified in the open field. A move to SS/LB hybrid could be a good move for his future...like the article says.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Who then plays SS? DAngerfield?:cool:

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s possible Davis comes back on a prove it deal. There’s Marcus Allen. He’s still here for a reason I hope. You have always said Hilton could play it. Change your mind? There’s also a FA option besides Davis and if none of those are viable options we should be looking at drafting one. Which we need to do anyway.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Strong safety? Hilton? I never once said he could play strong safety. Allen stinks in coverage. Davis isn't coming back here now. Again you are trying to pump the two positions as equal. There is no guarantee that anyone else we bring in will be better.

Just bringing in someone different does nothing but break up what we finally had built. It's like everyone that wants to get rid of Barron and start Vince again. How quickly they forget. Nobody talks about all the tds that Bush gave up in coverage. Edmunds had good coverage on a number of plays that were within an inch or two the other way and it was an incompletion. Sometimes a perfectly placed ball gets through. He also made a couple of the coverage plays and caused the reflection that kinda ended up with. Sure he needs some coaching but it's nowhere near as bad as most make it out as. :cool:

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So Hilton can play FS then? and use Minkah as a chess piece like Troy. How do you know Davis isn’t coming back? It’s not like he’ll be a hot commodity across the league. How am I trying to “ pump” the two positions as equally? Even though we’ve been told for years our Safeties are interchangeable. Is there a guarantee who we bring in would be worse?

People want to dump Barron because we are financially strapped and we need cap space to sign other guys. VW is 1 million dollar insurance. I don’t know why you can’t understand cutting Barron saves money cutting VW isn’t worth it.
    You’re about the only one who thinks Barron is worth 6 mil. Football is a game of inches woulda ,coulda ,shoulda .
    The comparison to Bush is unfair, he was a rookie that being said how many fumble recoveries and INTs for him?
    Edmunds played a ton his rookie year. He has 31 starts under his belt. He gave up 5. TDS and a QBR of 139 something. Zeros across the board in FF,INTs and recoveries. Hasn’t had a INT in his last 30 games. That’s pretty hard to do. Do I think we can live with him at Safety? I do. Do I think it’s the worst idea to experiment throughout camp to see if he’s a better fit? I don’t. That’s all I’m trying to say....

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can't agree wasting a draft pick on another db. We haven't hit on one since Polumalu. Free agent route for me.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I know it’s hard to stomach but we can’t just stop drafting DBs. Even though common sense says we probably should. I agree I would definitely look to add a FA at Safety. That would make the most immediate impact.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we are a better defense with barron. I could care less about how much they cost. Vince is getting the same pay for a lot less bang for that buck.

Yes hilton showed quite well in preseason when used at fs. He had on beck of a game playing there if you remember. Strong safety however is the problem. Since our two new coaches have taken over the dbs, there is more of a distinction of the two spots. Which frankly needed to happen.

you build on what was working not read it down. Give this defense a full camp together. We can find money to sign dupree. We may lose a part time starter in hargraves, but we get back Tuitt as well. They are bringing in safeties already to compete. Davis is too costly with our situation. He wants paid, we have no money for him. Sure I'd love to have him as that 3rd safety since we love that defense. I think it comes down to how much bud costs and if we have any left for hilton.

Another way they could do it is trust sutton as the new slot corner. Payne makes a jump. Sign hilton and use him more as another fs when the want 3 on the field. :cool:

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I like some of that thinking. I struggle to see how we could afford to keep Dupree without cutting Barron...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Barron is a waste of a linebacker spot. Chickillo too.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    make Vince a June 1 cut and use that million and split vw read money over two years. Same with pouncey, foster, chickillo, berry, nix, and cutting holton, switzer, trey edmunds and rework Ben and Tuitt costly deals.with the 1.5 we have and the hope the cap goes up this year it would be doable. I for one don't think duprees worth all that. :cool:

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Off topic I know, but that Patrick Queen is quite good. Would not mind giving him a look in the draft. Of course though, I am assuming the team cuts Mark Barron, believes Devin Bush Jr. is ready to take command and Ulysees Gilbert III is more so a Tyler Matakevich replacement than Mark Barron's.

Will only be 21 by the time the 2020 NFL Season commences. Sure he does not have as much starting experience as his fellow alum in Devin White but he is just as fast and just as athletic. A nice complementary piece to Devin Bush.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Shhh! He still has one fan left here...lol

21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'm a little confused and maybe someone can help me understand the difference between a player (DuPree, a 1st rd pick who prior to this year all wanted him gone) who took 4 years to start acting like a 1st round pick and now all want to pay him big bucks, and a 3rd year DB (Edmunds, a 1st rd pick) who everyone wants to get rid of yesterday? Just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I for one don’t want to pay Dupree big bucks and I don’t want to run TE out of town. I think he can improve at his current position but I also feel he could maybe be better utilized in a hybrid role SS/LB.

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Totally agree. TE to me is a very good athlete that just hasn't found his niche so to speak in our D. Which make me worry knowing who is developing the players. I also think DuPree goes back to the player i saw 80% of his time here. JMO.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well true. If we cannot develop DBs we should just move them to LBs, we seem to do alright there...lol

• Like Like x 1
  25. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Is there anyone here who seen him in college? I dont have the All 22 so I cant tell if someone maybe handing off the receiver to TE poorly.

What I do see is TE many times to be trailing and timing many times off. I dont expect him being the second coming of Ed Reed but he doesnt appear to have that comfort back there but its just an observation.

• Agree Agree x 1