1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread only for Tomlin detractors....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Jan 12, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because LeBeau moved Troy around a lot, and Ryan Clark couldn't play in the game for health reasons. FYI Troy wasn't good in deep coverage :shrug:.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Was I saying he was? You tried to downplay the value of them having a QB coach because you don’t want to admit it was a stupid idea not to have one. Now he could probably help MR in the future? He could of helped him last season and it was dumb not to have one. Fact.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    There are just some threads that you have to come back to every couple of days, snuggle down on the coach with a bag of popcorn, and watch the fur fly.

And if anyone gets a chance, ban Pengvin. Nobody here needs that race-baiting crap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Dude ain't you figured it out yet there are a handful of guys here that no matter what Tomlin can do no wrong.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    …...………..or right!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I should have use green font.....lol

7. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    so you think we should have finished 11-5 to 13-3 this season after losing our franchise QB and being forced to start an undrafted rookie QB?

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well we did win 8 games and lost the last 3, two of them were very winnable. The Jets and a resting Ratbird team should have been wins and that would have put us to 10 so I don't see why 11 wasn't possible.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Buffalo would of made 11 and people knocked them and we had them at home so you can say that was a winnable game too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Why Bill Cowher calls this Mike Tomlin’s best coaching job for the Steelers

KEVIN GORMAN | Thursday, January 16, 2020

As Bill Cowher reminisced about winning Super Bowl XL, he recalled how he was corrected after calling his Pittsburgh Steelers underdogs before playing the Seattle Seahawks.

“Someone said, ‘I think you guys are favored,’ ” Cowher said of the four-point odds. “I said, ‘Nope, we’re underdogs. I’m not going to let the facts stand in the way of this narrative.’ ”

Now that Cowher has been chosen for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of the Centennial Slate, he doesn’t want this narrative to stand in the way of the facts: Mike Tomlin won a Super Bowl only because of Cowher’s players.

That’s a slight Tomlin has endured since winning Super Bowl XLIII in his second season after succeeding Cowher, one that Tomlin’s detractors are quick to point out when comparing the Steelers coaches. I asked Cowher if he took such talk as a compliment or viewed it as an insult to Tomlin.

“You know what? I don’t take it as anything,” Cowher said. “People are going to compare everything you do. Listen, I’m going to get critics who are going to tell me I shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame. It just goes with the profession. It really does. People are going to say whatever they want to say to validate however they feel. And it’s OK. I get it. Your resume says what it is. That speaks for itself. You don’t have to do that. …

“I’m not offended by it. I don’t think Mike should be offended by it. I don’t feel any better about anything. I was there for 15 years. I’m proud of what we were able to do, and I’m excited for Mike and the championship he’s got.”

That Tomlin’s resume is comparable to Cowher’s has created a new narrative: If Cowher is a Hall of Famer, then Tomlin someday should receive a gold jacket and have a bust in Canton, too.

In 15 seasons, Cowher was 149-90-1 (.623 winning percentage) in the regular season, winning eight division titles and reaching six AFC championship games and two Super Bowls, winning one and losing one. He had a 12-9 postseason record, with four wins on the way to Super Bowl XL in his penultimate season.

In 13 seasons, Tomlin is 133-74-1 (.642) in the regular season, winning six division titles and reaching three AFC championship games and two Super Bowls, winning one and losing one. He has an 8-7 postseason record — the same number of playoff wins Cowher had in his first 13 seasons.

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/kevin-g...e-tomlins-best-coaching-job-for-the-steelers/

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I see why 11 wasn't possible. Just like I saw why the Ravens loss to the Titans. It started with the turnovers. Difficult to win games when players give the ball away.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually they did have a QB coach in 2019 in Fichtner :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's hard to win games when your QB can't score more than 10 points a game, which Duck did the last 3 games :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah how’d that work out having your OC doing double duty? :facepalm: Oh I know ....terribly which is why they were so quick to hire one for next season. :shrug: So will you admit it was a mistake or continue with your charade that it wasn’t? :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Having a QB coach besides Fichtner in 2019 wasn't a guarantee of more victories :shrug:

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Damn bro!! You can’t say anything around here that may disparage MT even when you are just stating a fact. His merry men come rushing to his rescue. How preposterous of you to suggest that when you have 8 wins with 3 to play there’s a “POSSIBILITY “ of winning 11. Last time I checked 8+3=11. I guess not whenever a perceived jab at MT factors into the equation. Don’t let them try and make you forget everything you learned as a tot. 8+3=11...still does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Ha, you're funny. Race-baiting? The fact is that there are racists everywhere. I have to assume everyone is a racist, because I've had people say those things to me growing up, and all through my life.Try living here during 9-11 and having brown skin. You're getting bent out of shape on a Steelers message board? Lol wow. talk about perspective. Try having your life threatened by random people thinking that you blew up a building.

But yes, definitely ban me for trying to add humor to an otherwise touchy subject.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Wasn’t a guarantee it wouldn’t help either. See how that works? Tell me why they were so quick to hire one then. I’ll wait....:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    So the only way that you lose is by giving up a big play. Your best safety still is Troy. What's he doing up on the line of scrimmage? If Ryan Clark isn't there, then you have to be a little more vanilla with your defense. I mean Tim Tebow throws a simple pass to DT and touchdown? You put your best safety at the line of scrimmage? Wow. You're ok with that?

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Mundy screwed up on that play I think.

21. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Good article, but what is Cowher going to say? Lol He just got into the Hall-of-Fame. He's got no vested interest in the team now.

Again, I go back to Cowher's teams lost to the cheating Patriots. Cowher may have had another Super Bowl opportunity. That's an important point that the NFL wants to forget. Maybe that's why Cowher got into the Hall-of-Fame? Mike Tomlin has a comparable resume but over the last 9 years, that seems to be more of the actual Mike Tomlin. These are all his players now and coaching staff. What's the excuse now?

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They hired one to help with Mason's development

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    That may be true in the sense of whose fault it was, but I think you should make Tebow make a long drive there. No reason to bring up safeties. If Tebow can put together a long drive and beat you, so be it. But to have no safeties covering for a big play was a big key. My humble opinion.

Obviously Pupunu and Tony Martin got the best of Cowher. It happens.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Really? Wow I never would of thought of that. Why wasn’t there one in place last season for Mason, Duck and Dobbs?
    Why are you convoluting these discussions? They didn’t have one last year and it was a mistake they clearly acknowledge even if you won’t.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ike Taylor even he gave up the pass, he needs to make that tackle on DT.