1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers path back to the playoffs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2020.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    the path back to the playoffs......

1 - control the L.O.S. on offense and defense
    2 - good QB play (you don't need great, just not dumb)
    3 - running attack, which is really predicated on #1
    4 - turnovers or timely sacks on D

that's basically it really. We have 4 picks in the first 4 rounds (2nd rnder, 3rd rnd comp & 2 4th rnders). I hope 3 out of the 4 are lineman and we make it a boring (to most of you) draft.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would rather they pick 1 OL 1 DL, then maybe a TE or WR with those first 4 picks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersrule6.

I agree with everything you just stated. What some folks do not seem to get is that we really are not that far away from being really good. If we can keep the Defense in tact, which seems will happen for the most part, we are set there. If Hargrave leaves we have Tuitt coming back (hopefully, should be okay). We need to keep Dupree.

The major issues are on the "O". Of course the #1 issue the QB. I believe Ben will be back and healthy. That clears up about 80% of the problems on the "O". We have very, very good "O" skill-position players. The issue this past season was keeping them all on the field at the same time due to injury issues. I like where we are at with the WRs. JuJu, Washington and Deontae are all very good. They each have another year of experience under their belts to build chemistry (well, Deontae one year anyway). All three are talented and if you go with a 3-Wide set with them it will cause problems for the opposing defenses. JuJu has to realize that he does not have to do it all.

Now, lets find that dependable RB. If it is Conner then great if not we draft one. The statement is always the same in that good RBs can be found in later rounds. So, I am not too worried there. Plus Whyte and Samuels are each good in the diversed skill sets that they bring to the table. So, if we draft a RB lets get a "Bruiser-Type".

Also, we must utilize the TEs more. They just vanished for whatever reason from the "O". Why? Still one of the great unsolved mysteries. Totally unacceptable. McDonald and Vannett are good together. I realize McDonald has an injury history but he did play injury-free for the whole season the year before.

I think the O-Line will return to form. I do not buy the notion that they got old. It was the leaving of Munchak in part. This is Sarrett's job to fix this along with the OC and HC. If Sarrett is not up for the task then he needs to hit the road. In fairness to him, Bell and Conner are two different type of runners. Given that, our O-Line is really built more for finesse (Bell). Well, he is gone and the O-Line as well as the coaches must adjust unless we insert another Bell-type RB into our system. Actually, I would be 100% for bringing Bell back as swirling rumors have it he may be out of New York.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't buy the theory of the line being only able to block for bell. He has not played here in two years. Conner was able to run behind them two years ago. They also didn't block well for ben in the first game and a half of this year let alone our backups. Yes there is a problem on the oline. The main problem was the middle of the line, namely Pounce y and foster. The middle was pushed into the face of the qb which left nowhere for them to step up to, which in turn allowed the outside rush that was pushed up the arc to then collapse in our qb that couldn't step up out of it. I know most think Pounce y is so great but he stunk it up. Add all the bad snaps all year and it is time to look for a replacement. Knowing how the Steelers operate and what Ben will want and get, I doubt it gets fixed this year or next. Get ready for much of the same.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Stay healthy, improve our OL
    and play calling. I think we will be back in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Sign vannett, finney, feiler, banner. Bring derwin Gray up for foster. He was the 27th ranked lineman in last year's draft. Finney stays as the interior bu. feiler stays at RT. Chuks and banner at T. Banner can play guard too. Gray can play tackle too. I don't think they will replace pouncey even though they should. Ben will throw a hissy fit.

Draft baun from wisconsin.
    Get a speed guy at wr in the draft. Ben likes that.
    Extend juju and watt.
    Sign a FA interior Dlineman. Doesn't have to be a top dollar guy.
    Draft a DL.
    Have an udfa fb ready to play it nix cant. Keep him on the PS if need be.
    I don't think we need drastic changes. I don't think dupree is worth 16 mil..
    Work these bu's into size for olb this year. Rookie, skipper, ola, and spillane can play some outside backer too. TJ makes them all better. Baun is a lot like tj was at wisconsin. All this could be done quite easily.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Titans - two first rounders at T, second and third rounders at G and fourth rounder at C.

OMG!!! i love D. Henry, I wish the Steelers had that kind of back...we need to draft a stud RB.....blah blah blah

It all starts up front.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    .....on both sides :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You want to extend JuJu after the season he had in 2019?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Really? hell Ben had a bad game and a half last year too, let's dump him while we are at it. Are you for real? OMG.:facepalm::cool:

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The aliens would bring him back after he coached Uranus to a disappointing 8-8 record in the Milky Way Galaxy league.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Easier said than done, because the 1st 3 are variables that we can not control. Part of the game, there will always be players who are hurt, but your right for the most part healthy teams go deep in the playoffs.

My top 5 paths back to the playoffs are:
    1) Go with the strength of the team and scheme for it. In other words, we are now a defensive team and all aspect of the of the game should support it. On offense become more efficien and run oriented, 50-50, I would prefer 55 run to pass. Control the clock. Use field position as a factor, if you can pin a team deep, pin them. Allow our defense a chance to create turnovers and better field position to score. I am not saying conservative ball, but play within our strength, even use the pass to set the run, but be a " efficient running team"
    2) Keep the band together. That D is just nasty and it could even get better, next year or in the near future. Need to sign Bud.
    3) Find a #1 RB, Conner is awesome when healthy, and unfortunately, that is not is Conner's strength. Snell, Jamal, Whyte are good at what they do best, but they are all 1 dimensional players.
    4) Tweek the OL. Need to get stronger and younger. I liked the move we made this year for the Ram's game, when we had Feiler at G and OKA played RT. Obvious that is one choice, the other is draft a G or a T and have Feiler play the one that is free.
    5) Our 1st priority on FA that are not ours should be a punter!

13. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    it wasn't disappointing, Uranus was expected to have a $hitty season...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Jupiter coach Billy Belicheat is being investigated for secretly video taping Uranus. Commissioner Roger Moondell said that he is going to probe deeply into the Uranus scandal. He said that it will be a penetrating investigation that will climax quickly.

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I want the stud RB in the draft. Ben's only shot a bringing home #7 before he leaves.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn’t we have one of those while Ben was playing? ;)

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    giphy-downsized-large.gif

Well he tapped out about every season. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Healthy Ben.
    Get a better running back than we have.
    Maintain our defense.
    O-line needs Munchek .
    A really good to great receiver.
    Todd Haley to return.
    Tomlin handing over the team to his assistant coaches and he has no input whatsoever.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    :roflmao:

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    1. MT will give you slightly above average results no matter what talent you give him.
    2. RF was exposed when Ben went down and the fact that they kept him is dis-heartening.
    3. A few defensive players are getting old.
    4. If Ben can be his old self our offense is a 7, if not, it is a 3..............it's all about Ben!

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I would take Haley over Fuchtner all day but Haley burns bridges and I doubt he would ever be welcomed back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t have a substantial list, but I think bringing in a replacement FB if Nix goes out for the season again is a lesson to learn.

I agree with @turtle that it’s up front blocking that we need to improve the O. I don’t want us to use a pick on a top RB (unless there’s a super, can’t miss RB there).

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben might walk away from $30mil a year if they bought Haley back. If we are bringing OC's back, go get Whisenhunt. Better than Haley imo.

24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Ben is washed

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    The offense did great under Haley. Ben does better and stays healthier when the cords aren't his buddies.

• Agree Agree x 1