1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Derrick Henry the best running back in the league?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 17, 2020.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would say so. In 4 years he has amassed 3833 yards, 38 tds 4.8 ypc and the first 2 years he did not hit 200 attempts.

Notice I said not best all around back, but pure runner he is a monster. He straight up ran his team to a championship game(probably lose) but still, he has it all. Power, speed, finesse.

power run game and defense used to win championships in our heyday, we will see how far it takes them. Ravens had a power run game and defense but Harbaugh was outmatched by the Darth Bill's apprentice.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    No.

He benefits from scheme and usage. Why more bellcow RBs aren't used this way is beyond me.

If I had Zeke or Saquon, they would have a minimum of 30 touches per game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Why Le'von Bell of course.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably not....but he was voted least likely the guy you want to tackle...:smiley1:. He is a monster like you said. He’s bigger than the damn LBs....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    He certainly was this past season. He will likely be at or near the top of the list next season as well, but rarely do rb's repeat rushing titles. It's not only them doing the work. Scheme and OL performance are as important as the horse toting the carrot. Emmit Smith would still be looking up at Barry Sanders if Barry had rushed behind a good OL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    henry lead the league in ypc, rushing yards, tied with td's, yards per game, yards after contact, tied 3rd in broken tackles

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    RBs simply can't stay healthy taking the 30 touch a game beating.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What @SteelCity_NB stated.

Derrick Henry has been doing well in 2019 but not at a Top Five Running Back should thus far in his career. His playoff run this season overrides his previous shortcomings. Keep in mind that in 2018, Mike Vrabel himself wanted to trade Derrick Henry at the Trade Deadline as he was underperforming at the time.

In comparison, there is a reason why Ezekiel Elliot and SaQuon Barkely were not just constituted but regarded as Top Five picks. They not only have the pre-requisites like Derrick Henry has but they also have the intangibles one looks for in a true game changing offensive player. For Ezekiel, we have not seen a complete back like him since Edgerrin James. As for SaQuon Barkley, he reminds some of us of a bigger and stronger LaDanian Tomlinson.

Derrick Henry, while a decorated back, was more reminiscent of Brandon Jacobs to me when he came out. Now Brandon Jacobs was an absolute force in his prime but he was scheme limited. Derrick is as well. The only major reason he has such success in this playoffs is due to the current paradigm of NFL Defenses in Sub Package Football. As a result, Tennessee's Offensive Lineman, an Offensive Line built on mauling in the run game, can just go to work.

As a result, his performances are being augmented by this. Ezekiel Elliot and SaQuon Barkely can do what Derrick Henry can but better behind that monstrous Offensive Line. It all comes down to those big men up front.

For a better reference on Derrick Henry, put him behind Pittsburgh's Offensive Line. I seriously doubt he obtains these same results. Tennessee's Offensive Line is built to maul opppnents ALIVE in the running game.

Pittsburgh's is not. For that matter, for Mason's sake, Pittsburgh better get back to that if they want Mason to succeed. That part is essential to ANY Offensive success.

Overall @bigbenhotness?!

On offense, you want to win?! Power up the trenches then. The better one's Offensive Line, the better form of success the offense will have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    To be fair the only running back I’ve seen that can do well with a bad o line is Barry sanders

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Walter Payton was as well. Then again, Walter Paytons Offensive Lineman could actually block. Barry Sanders was running for his life; his highlights being the most prime example.

An important aspect of all of this though; the Ford Family. Nevermind just Barry Sanders but Calvin Johnson as well jettisoned their careers because they simply could not put up with the mediocrity, bigotry and ineptitude anymore. That is the most disppointing aspect for me as a fan of American Gridiron Football; for Calvin Johnson doubly so and no less.

Transcendent talents walking away from the game due to their own franchises incompetence. Nevermind disheartening for them and us. Its SICKENING!!

Fun Fact:

When I first started watching those Barry Sanders Highlights, I thought those plays were edited for comedic effect! :eek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    D. Henry was the best RB this year without a doubt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Rn you have to say so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Top 5 back the past 3 years though. Pure running that is

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Let's see if he is THE playoff horse. Needs to keep boy wonder Mahomes on the sideline. Get three or four yards & fall over...lol

16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I'd say Henry is key to success for Titans today. If he can pound it out that will keep Mahomes watching on the sidelines. Even if he does get 100+ today I can't see Titans D slowing down KC offense. Although I think they will do a better job then the Texans did.

BEAT THE NFC!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He’s fun to watch at least. If the Steelers aren’t playing, this is the kinda guy and team I wanna root for.

18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    What a beast!! Keeping Mahomes off the field which is only way Titans going to win this.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't pay attention to the Titans earlier this year. How was this team only 9-7?

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Titans looking very solid and hungry against the Chiefs. They remind me of maybe our 1995 Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    A good QB makes all the difference. He was out something like 4 games. If he was there all year and playing at the same level he is playing now I bet they would have won at least a couple more games.

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    And just like that the Derrick Cinderella Henry story comes to a crashing halt

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Did Tannehill take some “good WB” pill? He was mediocre at best in Miami!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  25. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    QB`s can have good years even if they are not consistent for their career. Having a decent defense and run game makes a huge difference so you don`t have to pass more than you are capable of. He had an excellent QB rating this year. It is fair to say he is good this year.