1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada hired as QB's coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Jan 15, 2020.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Shoot. Why wait? I'm on board with him replacing Fitchner right now. Matter of fact. He can take over for MT as far as I'm concerned.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Excellent, don't know much about him, but at least they corrected the deficiency that should have been addressed when Ben got hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Good hire.

If I recall, Pitt, LSU and Maryland ran Pro Style Offenses that centered around balance and continuity for and with the QB, something Randy does not seem to care for. In addition, there is some familiarity there not just with Mike Tomlin or even Pitt Alum James Conner but the position of the QB.

Here is hoping this is something that can put Mason over the top in Year 3. Definitely showed us all something before Earl Thomas flatlined him; Myles Garrett in the next outing. Hopefully now with some starting experience and a qualified QB Coach, Mason can truly take that next step.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    One more aspect about the Matt Canada hire. Unrelated but important regardless.

Art Rooney II did defer the addition/subtraction of staff to Mike Tomlin. Tomlin specifically stated that he would have the staff in place one week before Super Bowl LIV. Something to look forward to for certain.

Seriously doubt now Keith Butler is gone. Shaun Sarrett is not moving either. Perhaps Ray Sherman?!

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He has considerable experience working with QBs and running the Offense simultaneously. I am assuming that Matt Symmes will be working more with Randy Fichtner than Matt Canada. Keep Matt busy fine tuning these Young QBs.

Really want to see what the likes of Mason, Devlin (assuming he is still here) and Paxton do under him. I would imagine that, assuming both Hodges and Lynch make it through Training Camp, they will battle for the Number 3 spot barring a Veteran QB being in the mix.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    burrow wasn't there when Canada was. Burrow has only been there for two years. I do agree though, not my first choice of qb coach. If nothing else with a name like that we can send him over to the pens.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ron Mexico would have been a better hire.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't know Jack about this coach. I just hope it isn't some FU hire made because someone knew someone else and become another wasted opportunity. Hope he will be an asset and help our QB situation. Hard to understand how we could have gone on without a coach for the most important position in the game for so long. Makes no sense to me.

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The only worry with me is Canada's experience level is all college and none at the Pro-Level.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    There you go again HM - going all NAFTA on us. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/film-room-how-matt-canada-will-impact-the-steelers-offense/

Sounds like our QB coach is overqualified and our OC is under qualified. Like they say I guess...it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.....

From the article .....

Final Thoughts

“Just in general, bringing someone in to be dedicated to those guys is important. Rudolph in particular. The team drafted him with the hope of being the franchise and not having a QB coach is a disservice to that investment and his development. But they have seemed to get a bright mind in Canada who hey, if things go well, two years from now, may become the Steelers’ OC. Just saying.”

Someone gets it. Shame the organization didn’t realize this.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    :tequila:

13. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I don't know about that. I hear he sleeps on the job more than James Harrison.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is good for the young QB'S..We will not be going for a Vet BU per Rooney so QB is probably firmly on the board for this draft.. So bring in the QB Coach and start building up the QB spot ...

15. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
  16. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Ron Burgundy would have been a better hire. At least his post game pressers would have been interesting. Wait...you weren't talking about Tomlin. Carry on. ;)

17. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    In all seriousness, we needed this a while ago, desperately. We needed someone to work with the young qbs for their own maturation. If for becoming Ben's legitimate backup, heir apparent, or trade bait. It would have been nice to have backups showing they were ready in the preseason in case someone came calling.

Now we're behind the 8 ball. And not Fuchtnuts' magic one that he uses to call plays on Sundays.

• Like Like x 2
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I re-read my previous post and it got me thinking. To expand my thought, why WOULDN'T every team have a dedicated coach for each skilled position? And to take that a step further, have a "transition" coach (for lack of a better word) for each skilled position to work specifically with the athletes coming out of college through their 2nd or even 3rd year? Basically until they blossom.

You could intern ex-players who want to get into coaching or just want to be connected with the game. They could mentor the young athletes on what it takes to be successful at this level, not just on the field.

Just spit-balling. Maybe a terrible idea, idk.

Just can't see why an organization wouldn't be proactive and do everything it could to maximize its investment in this players.

And maybe the Steelers are doing more behind the scenes than it looks on the surface. But it looks like, especially with the qb's, that they just draft them and drop them into the deep end of the system to see if they float. Maybe they've realised that the deep end is getting full of floaters and hired Canada to clean up the pool.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Canada isn't here for ben, he's here for the young guys. Fichter is here for ben and the current offense. I believe we are banking on mason and paxton(as a former #1) to be brought along by a dedicated coach for them and for their future here. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe Canada was brought in not only for the young QBs ,who surely needed a dedicated QB coach but to also bring fresh ideas to the offense. How on board Ben is with new ideas remains to be seen but this is a move for the future not only for our QBs but for the offense as a whole. Offenses have been changing and evolving and we’re stuck in the past. Canada was brought in to help modernize the offense. We’ve proven we can do less with more. Now it’s time to try and do more with less. How much input he has initially remains to be seen but if we’re gonna be successful in the future with our young QBs we’re gonna have to be more creative and deceptive instead of relying on vanilla game plans and hoping talent simply wins out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    He was a miracle worker for Pitt in 2016. He took a so-so talented offense and created the most productive offense in Pitt history. He should have gotten some award that year.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not as long as #7 is here he won't, Coach Randy is Ben's boy.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and he should be. Put the weapons around him to succeed. We are not going to reinvent Ben at this point. You protect him and give him a run game and targets that can get open.

That starts with fixing the o line and a wr with some speed. We have the compliment s here already and enough for a run game. I think Ben will utilize vannett and McDonald. Get him a #1 receiver and we have plenty of twos and three targets.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel right now.

:cool:

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    First RF and Ben have to accept the fact that they can’t be throwing the ball 70% of the time. They didn’t last year and even this year with two young QBs the run/ pass was outta wack....

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you are not going to change ben. If you can't run the ball, you throw it. Fix the line and you can do both. Especially with young qbs.

the young age didn't have time before the rush was in their face. They loaded the box so we couldn't run either. They kept the TEs in to help block for the pass. The rb was kept in to help block for the pass and broke off at the last second. That's why they got so many balls thrown or dumped off to them.

fix the middle of the o line and the qb can step up or step into a throw. It wasn't the play calling or the qbs fault most of the time, it was the middle of the offensive line. :cool:

• Like Like x 1