1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons for and against 'Hard Knocks'

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Go 'lers, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    So basic reason against the Steelers being on HBO 'Hard Knocks' is not having extra distractions. There has been enough drama in the locker room in previous seasons, the team doesn't want to add more unnecessarily. Plus, the thought of prying eyes crawling all over St. Vincent's is not what a stable organization like Pittsburgh wants.

Reasons I would like to see the Steelers on Hard Knocks is, well, more Steelers to watch!

And while I know this franchise is certainly popular enough it would definitely put an awesome spotlight on the club heading in to 2020 with positive attention. The Steelers are clearly headlining the upcoming Hall of Fame class so Rooney said he believes they'll get the HOF game, and Rooney mentioned there's good indication the Steelers will get a game in Mexico next season wherethey also have a ton of fans.

All these things and we get Roethlisberger back next year! The Pittsburgh Steelers will be rocketing back to the peak of popularity next season. I can feel it!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    The what? Is that like the cult of personality? Or is it like the 2019 Baltimore Ravens who were actually the "prank" of popularity?

With that being said, we don't know who will be under center week 1. And the only rocket we're guaranteed is the one pulling the jibber-jabber from Tomlin's piehole.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Could you imagine if they were on Hard Knocks when AB was a Steeler?

Instead of a Helicopter entrance he would have probably parachuted in.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    For - I can actually see what some of these coaches do

Against - I will be on Tomlin cliche overload

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Want to see how JuJu and Devin Bush will act. I know Devin Bush should be omitted from such a discussion but keep in mind one of his teachers was Ray Lewis. I imagine that such an influence is going to rub off on his student.

JuJu though is likely to steal the show. Keep in mind he has a YouTube Channel. Wonder what he will be doing when he is being filmed?!

Honorable mention is Benny Snell Jr. He is also a bit of a chatter box. That said, I am looking forward towards his improvement in Year Two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ray Lewis was widely credited for being a film study guy and a mediator in the locker room.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You really can’t say anything bad about Ray Lewis the football player. He was a bonafide leader.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I meant in the sense of trash talking. Nevermind the trash talking elements we have not heard from Bush Jr., the whole aspect of attention my generation loves so much. I think we are going to see a more animated Devin Bush Jr. :)

Keep in mind he was already talking quite a bit according to Vince Williams as the 2019 season winded down. This time around, he is a veteran who has had a year worth of an NFL Offseason dedicated to training; something he thoroughly enjoys.

I can imagine his confidence will be up just a bit more than usual.

9. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I've never watched hard knocks. How long is an episode and how many episodes are in a season?

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sold either way, but I'm interested in the idea that Hard Knocks is a distraction.

Its always seemed to me that the teams that are on Hard Knocks often go on to do badly because, well, they're bad teams, not because the TV crew has got in the way. After all, Steelers training camp already has a whole load of media there.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Been seeing him on YouTube. How did he pass school? He can barely speak

12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think it's a good idea. I wouldn't watch anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They belong on hard knocks, they earned it!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    it would be interesting to see how the coaches come across, especially our pet hates. When the Browns were on, even though there only snippets of coaches meetings, you could tell there would be trouble ahead

15. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I was listening to I believe, Moats on the fan. Moats said Hard Knocks is no different or much different than any other day at training camp. He said there are always cameras around, interviews being done. Don't quote me but I do think Author Moats said this.
    As for me, if hard knocks isn't any different than any other day of professional football, what harm could it do ? Personally as a coach, I would probably not welcome any distractions. I believe if I was a head coach I would probably not want cameras, interviews. Not sure if turning down this type of activity is frowned upon by the NFL but, I want practice to be all business.

16. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016

I missed the Browns one. Did you notice some underlying troubles when watching it ? What did you think was brewing ?

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Typically a season is 5 episodes long with each episode is roughly an hour. Each episode covers one week of camp culminating with the teams preseason game at weeks end. The production crew determines what veteran players would be interesting for more indepth interviews and looks at their personal lives as while as looking at rookies and camp heroes for compelling storylines. While they will have several crews following these players around they also get footage from remote cameras set up in meeting rooms to get B-roll footage to fill in what goes on in team meetings.

Most of the time the crews at practice will be shooting footage of the storyline players they have identified in preproduction and will miss important moments in practice such as filming Dline drills and miss a WR vs CB drill where one of the players is hurt. There is almost nothing to be gained from these shows as far as stealing signs, formations, plays and so forth because they don't get close enough to the action to make specific info.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There were one or two tense discussions between Haley and the HC.

It was interesting to watch both Haley and Gregg Williams at work. They both acted exactly how I expected they did at practice, but the way they tried to use that to coach was pretty informative (Haley being an arsehole, Williams being an aggressive bastard). Obviously, Haley wasn't too successful...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He should have been in jail so he shouldn't even been of the field. What a POS.

20. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Failure.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Here are my reasons for NOT doing this stupid show:
    There is nothing good that will come out of it except HBO making money.
    HBO doesn't give a rats azz about the players and will take advantage their their situations, sometime very painful ones, and make money off of them.
    No one on the team wants to have a camera in their face when they are told their football dream is coming to an end
    Why is only the losers of the NFL eligible to have every orifice probed by some knucklehead with a lens. This will put us right with the Stains and Bungles.
    I don't want our competition to be encouraged
    I am afraid of the Steelers being embarrassed and this not putting us in a positive light
    I am convinced that the players and the staff will without a doubt act differently that they normally would. Its common sense and I don't buy the cameras are all over the place anyway logic.
    We are going to have a very difficult time figuring out what in the hell we are going to do to put a competitive team together and anything that detracts from allowing 110% of the teams attention is not a good thing.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t want the team on Hard Knocks due to the distraction. I get what Moats was saying about cameras being around already, but there’s a big difference between that and having film crews on hand, knowing that you might be on national TV behind the scenes.

That said, if the Steelers are on it, I will actually watch Hard Knocks - and that’s probably the only reason for me to keep HBO with Game of Thrones being done. (As I typed that last sentence I felt like a dumbass because I have still not canceled HBO, but I haven’t tuned in since GOT) :facepalm:

23. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    yep, there didnt seem too much love between hue and his coaches and not too much respect either. Hue appeared to be one of those caricature bosses who are all talk and no substance, like an extra from The Office (well the UK version of The Office)

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah well that’s why I said the football player

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Anyone know when this will be announced.

With the Fan base I don't see how the Steelers will not get the nod. I can see John Elway lobbying his way into this.

Strictly for fan viewership this should be an easy decision for HBO. If they want to give it to a team that actually wants it; I say the Broncos will come out on top.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1