1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread only for Tomlin detractors....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    I'm on your side completely with this. And even I've tried and tried to think of a game. I would maybe say the Rams this year? The Steelers looked like they knew what they were doing. Lol Other than that, there hasn't been a game, especially against a superior team on the road, that I can think of. But what can you expect from a coach that can't gameplan Tebow, Garrard, Bortles. Garrard and Bortles the Steelers faced at home earlier in the season. Then in the playoffs same players beat the Steelers again....at home.....So much for learning from your mistakes the first time.

EDIT...The Colts crushed the Steelers in 2005 in Indianapolis, then the Steelers handled Indy in the playoffs that same year. THAT is coaching! Amazing.

EDIT2...Steelers beat the Patriots last year....(at home). They looked good then.

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No Cowher is better...Tomlin had a HOF QB his whole career, generational RB and WR most of his career.. Lost to GARRARD, TEBOW, and BLAKE FREAKIN BORTLES... continually loses to ****ty teams every year costing us seeding or the playoffs altogether... Terrible at clock management, and atrocious ( they said the worst in the WHOLE LEAGUE ) at challenges for a long time!!!!! That's a " good " Coach!!!!!!

Oh, You're one of THEM...Never had a losing season, keep him forever crowd, We're the Steelers, That's what we do!!!!!

Be prepared for more of the same!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well that just depressed me all over again. Those QB's that beat us in Playoffs is embarrassing. Tebow kills me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People will "make up" stuff just back their agendas without checking facts. Providing points with poor memory recall. For example, losing to Garrard. Take a look at Garrard's stat line for the game. How about the fact that Ben didn't always perform like a HOF QB during the post season? Ben turned the ball over vs the Jags in 2017 post season. As a result, the Steelers couldn't over come those turnovers.

Tomlin didn't have a generational RB and WR most of his career. They pretty much had a 3 year regular season run and "one year" post season run together due to injuries.

There is also a dynamic to winning or losing challenges. No point in explaining the dynamics. People simply won't listen. At the end of the day winning or losing challenges doesn't determine if a coach can or can't coach.

What's clear is that people let disappointment cloud their judgments until the become completely irrational.

5. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Why are you embarrassed? Did you suit up that day? There was more to that game than Tebow. Loses happen to every team in sports. That's the nature of sports. Follow the NFL long enough and it will become clear to you.

6. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    All 3 killed me

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    So...Cowher has him in everything except...That regular season winning pct. you so covet

• Like Like x 2
  8. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    If continually losing challenges doesn't count, and clock management doesn't count...What exactly does count? Let me guess " That never had losing season thing "

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Talk about embarrassing. Ryan Tannehill just beat the defending SB champs AND this years #1 seed. Tannehill! It happens......

• Like Like x 2
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh oh I know! Player execution and that’s it....wait just wait though until we get enough talent on offense now. Then that will prove he’s a great coach....

11. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    There's some factors that go into challenges that I don't think you thought out or understand. Maybe it's just better from you perspective just to complain than to attempt to understand?

Losing challenges generally doesn't cost teams game. It also doesn't prove that a coach is terrible.

I didn't say clock management doesn't count. Sometimes coaches make the right decisions regarding clock management and sometimes they don't. Decisions sometimes depend on different factors or circumstances. Sometimes there is logic behind the decisions. You don't have to agree. I don't always agree. At least I will try to understand why the decision was made. Better to attempt to understand than to simply sit around and complain. Again sometimes coaches get it right and sometimes they don't. They don't dwell on it and neither do I.

Has nothing to do with not having a losing season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Well if you don't know by now you will never know. That's pretty obvious.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m ok with moving on from Tomlin. I guess I just don’t get why I would need to blow up every thread with criticism of Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Awwwww! Did I touch your Tomlin nerve? Maybe you should stop dwelling on my posts like you don’t dwell on coaching decisions. Obviously you can’t...

• Like Like x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I am ok with moving on with any coaches or players. At least I understand the reasons the organization chooses to keep him around. Some fans just like to live on the far negative end of the spectrum.

It's kind of like AB. Can't say anything to them once they are so far gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Nah bro you or anyone here doesn't impact me that way. I just point out that you don't recognize good coaching when it comes to Tomlin. Apparently you never will.

You have to live with the fact and carry the hate that Tomlin is still the coach of the team. I don't because even with Tomlin's flaws and mistakes I understand that he is still a good coach. There will come a time when he is no longer the coach of the team. I will be just fine with it.

17. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    How many seasons did Cowher have Ben compared to Tomlin having Ben. These stats are not equal.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    See that’s your problem you think just because some see things differently than you that they are wrong. They aren’t any more wrong than you are with some of yours. . There’s just as much bad to point to as good. That’s what happens when you’re 8-8. You can choose how you want to look at it and myself and others will choose theirs. It’s not that we don’t understand and realize . It’s a different perspective or point of view. To each his own maybe you have a hard time understanding and realizing that. It’s your condescending BS that you think you’re so much smarter than everyone who sees things a different way. That’s unnecessary.

Please enlighten us with how the dynamics of challenges work? While your at it explain to us the Xs and Os you claim people here lack. Explain how you know the players are always in the right position schematically to succeed. I’ll admit I’m not a X and O know it all but I read quite a lot of articles from people that are. They frequently write articles on where the coaches could of done a better job. Check it out and you will see but when you find out I’m not the only one saying it,you will probably just claim you don’t dwell on the negative. You do you and I’ll do me. Just don’t be a condescending douche about it.....

One more thing....I don’t know about you but myself and I’m sure plenty of other posters here are able to separate their opinions on a message board from real life. So you can stop with the life coach lessons as well....

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not my problem. It's your problem.

Yes you are wrong if you don't recognize Tomlin as a good coach. It's that simple. There is also not equal bad points as good. You don't understand because you let the disappointments cloud your judgement. That's why Tomlin is still the coach of the team. You think Tomlin is pulling a fast one over on his bosses? People with more football knowledge than you or I? Come on man.

What qualifies fans to call out Tomlin for not being an X's and O's guru? One problem with fans who talk about X's and O's don't usually review game film and provide any factual evidence. So when they state that Tomlin isn't an X's and O's coach how do they know? It's based purely on what exactly? Uneducated guesses? Not holding a coaching card on the sideline?

How does a HC become a HC without any knowledge of X's and O's, schemes, ect?

Coaches can always do better. Most coaches at the highest level attempt to improve.

Do those sites focus on the times when coaches did a good job too? Or was it only the "bad times"?

A couple of my observations of Tomlin is that he's a defensive minded coach that prepares his teams to be mentally tough in close games. Tomlin recognizes that most games are going to be close. Especially come playoff time. He also recognizes his player's strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes it takes time but he eventually gets it right. He also knows how to manage and get the most out of his players.

Most importantly he finds ways to help this team remain competitive and win. That might not be important for you. It's important for me. I understand that my Steelers sports experience is not simply about winning championships. Winning and remaining competitive matters for me. I'd rather have competitive than to follow a 6-10, 5-11, 4-14, 1-16 team.

I recognize that Tomlin and the coaches on this team did a good job with what they had.

Coaches have limited time (40 seconds or less), sometimes limited views, and limited or no replays to make decisions if they should throw the flag. They don't have the benefit that fans have at home to watch a reply over and over again before making a decisions. I really don't have a problem if Tomlin throws a challenge flag in an attempt to give his team any edge. Especially if it's a close call. Just never know how the challenges will turn out. The league officials can't even get some challenges right on review. Coaches will be idiots if they throw the flags and they will be idiots if they don't throw the flags. No win situation.

As you said, I will do me.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Your Tomlin nerve runs deep. I get it . You shouldn’t let it cloud your judgement though. He’s a non playoff coach the last 2 years I’d say there equal bad points. What’s his playoff record he prepares so hard for 3-6 . Yup no bad there either. Keep up the prescription on your B and G glasses . There are articles good and bad. I see good and bad you see only good and excuses. You don’t like what I have to say stop commenting on my posts. Stop dwelling....

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    When tons of Eagle fans reminded me Tebow beat your Steelers it got embarrassing.

• Like Like x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It was flat out embarrassing. What made it more embarrassing though is the following week they got annihilated by a properly prepared and coached team. If you care about the results of your team...it was embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It's nice to see the Pats cupboards being raided bare with Joe Judge going to the Giants. I wish we could get a piece of some of that. Even though I know statistically BB assistants haven't panned out.

24. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Exactly thus why we are stuck with TOMLIN until he wants to leave. Maybe if enough Steelers Fans loathe him enough he will get uncomfortable and walk away. Can’t imagine being hated by 70% of the fan base and getting booed would be comfortable. Only hope we have of ever winning anything again.

25. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I am from Pittsburgh but live in Philly. Never heard that before.

I'm glad I don't have live with the mentality of "embarrassing loses". I've learned that players and teams in the league can beat the Steelers or any teams regardless of how anyone feels about those players and teams. How come people don't learn this basic concept after watching upsets taking place league wide after years?