1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread only for Tomlin detractors....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Jan 12, 2020.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    What race would that be? Minority is not a race.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The Rooney Rule, while it stated "minority" was intended to promote blacks. It's common knowledge, look it up.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
    The rule is named after Dan Rooney, the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and former chairman of the league's diversity committee.

It was created as a reaction to the 2002 firings of head coaches Tony Dungy of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dennis Green of the Minnesota Vikings, at a time when Dungy had a winning record and Green had just had his first losing season in ten years. Shortly afterwards, U.S. civil rights attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochran released a study showing that black head coaches, despite winning a higher percentage of games, were less likely to be hired and more likely to be fired than their white counterparts. Former NFL players Kellen Winslow and John Wooten then put together a self-described "affinity group" of minority scouts, coaches, and front-office personnel, to advocate for the rule's creation.[6]

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Nah, I'll let you do it.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The wildcat was only one example of something that went wrong, and can't be blamed on the players.
    Tomlin doesn't learn from his mistakes, it's his biggest flaw.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I've always struggled with realizing/reality.

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    If players are expected to perform no matter what, correspondingly, what do you believe to be the coaches responsibilities?

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I understand. Some people just hate facts.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Some things don’t need to be brought on a message boatd

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Some people want certain things to be ignored no matter how wrong they are. It's what makes our society such a mess.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Nothing’s ’ Being ignored. You bring it up frequently. Everyone has theories. For the record, I think the best person should get the job. And not just in the NFL.

11. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    The reason I brought up the topic into a more, loosely organized manner is because I do live in Cincinnati. Cincinnati Bengals fans have mostly decided that if Mike Brown continues to own the Bengals, there is very little chance of the Bengals winning the Super Bowl. I would agree, although I think moving off of Marvin Lewis (finally) allowed them to get a young head coach who might have some good ideas at the very least. We'll see. The Bengals were playing super hard this season even during a terrible record. Now, they're going to potentially have Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon, AJ Green (maybe) and some key offensive line pieces returning, including a 1st round pick of 2018 who was injured. I'm obviously not rooting for the Bengals, but I am learning about what happens to fans when an organization refuses to make changes. Bengals fans decided that they weren't going to take much interest in their team and moved on to FC Cincinnati. Are they 'bad' fans for doing that? There is a group of Bengals fans that will die hard with them no matter what and love their team no matter how bad it gets. The 'smart' fans have decided they will refuse to waste their time with the Bengals because the organization for the most part got complacent with Marvin Lewis and he gets us to the playoffs. Basically, the 'smart' fans said screw this crap, we need a change and maybe the change leads to some terrible seasons, but it appears on paper, maybe the Bengals have something going. The fans seem to be re-energized with Joe Burrow coming and some nice pieces. Defense played hard all year. I think Zac Taylor needs some seasoning, of course, but I think Pittsburgh will see that the Bengals are a few years away possibly if Joe Burrow and that O-line turn out to be what they can be.

Now the Steelers. I know people roast Tomlin-detractors and the Tomlin-detractors roast the Tomlin-backers. But what good is that going to do? I'm wanting the Steelers to be that intimidating organization that it used to be. Back in the day Cincinnati fans were like 'oh, crap, here come the Steelers' this week. It was great going to the games and seeing the Pittsburgh fans travel to fill up Paul Brown. Like I said, it's great to be a fan of a team, but if that team has decided to rest on its 'laurels' even though the last 9 years feels more like Marvin Lewis than anything close to sniffing a super bowl. So if Mr. Rooney has decided that 'not having a losing record' is great for the fans, the Steelers will become like the Bengals. I'm just seeing the parallels. Holding on to a coach because it feels 'safe' may be the downfall of this organization. My point is, as fans, we don't have any way to change the standards of the organization until we show the owner that this isn't acceptable. What is acceptable about an 8-8 season? What is acceptable about having a HOF talent at qb, rb, wr and on the o-line for several seasons and not sniffing a super bowl? No excuses either. Anyway, I'm trying to get Steelers fans that are feeling 'safe' with Tomlin, that look at the Bengal's organization that moved off of Lewis. Well, thanks to those who read the post and made some effort to post. I'm not going to respond to Tomlin-backers individually because that's not my point to convince you of anything. I see the Bengals and am starting to see the same thing happen in Pittsburgh. Just be careful of complacency is all I'm saying to those fans that think anything less than competing for the Super Bowl is what an organization needs to give to the fans. Not average seasons that are praised.

12. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    So you're saying that there's more to life than football and that we should continue to watch the same garbage over and over? Interesting. So do nothing? As long as the Steelers make money, and the Steelers fan continue to be blind sheep, then the organization is happy. Good luck with that.

signed, Bengals Mike Brown...

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Nobodies forcing you to watch. What are YOU going to do that’s going to make a difference? Whine until Tomlin is fired? Good luck with that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    I'm not watching with great interest and I'm not going to the games in Cincinnati. No point really. You see the same lack of discipline, same scenarios every season playing out the same way, getting to the playoffs and losing to inferior teams....

Why do you think the Steelers haven't won a Super Bowl in 9 years? Again, HOF qb, rb, wr, plus O-line and yes the defense has lacked at times, but the Steelers have a defensive head coach. That's on Tomlin.

What enjoyment do you actually get from watching poor quality football? Then you see guys like Kyle Shanahan, Matt Lafleur, Sean McVay get their teams up and running and close to a Super Bowl in a few years. We're watching reruns with Mike Tomlin every single year now. It's fun watching Seinfeld at times and was a great show, but you can't continue to watch it over and over with the same thrill.

I'm also posting about what happened in Cincinnati and what their fans have done. They showed the owner that we won't go to the games unless they start taking things more seriously about the product on the field. Who knows and who really cares what happens to them, but the BENGALS even decided we won't be satisfied with getting to the playoffs.

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I might be with you, if I lived in Pittsburgh. You watch the games because it’s become entertainment. Every week, there COULD be a pick six or a fumble or a miraculous catch. You watch because it’s The team you have chosen to root for. I live in San Diego and have seen what happens to a team who’s owner doesn’t care. Point is, unless you are suiting up on Sundays or are putting on your aviator glasses on the sideline, you’re not going to change the outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My bad...I thought the sarcasm was clear. The Tomlin defenders always like to place blame on the players and their execution. Never on the fact the plan sometimes has a higher rate of failure than success.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What are you going to do about it other than complain to people here?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Rooney Rule is for hiring of coaches not for firing.

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The Rooney Rule is political juxtapositioning. You can't grand-stand on an international level and then go against what you stood for.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ahhhh....maybe it was my bad for not recognizing the sarcasm :smiley1:

22. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Right now I'm gathering information about what is the state of mind of fans in Pittsburgh. I remember the Steelers as an intimidating organization with an aura around them. Steelers coming to town and lock the doors and hide the women and children. Now, it's like the Steelers are coming to town, and the opposing team feels that they have a great chance to win. No one fears the Steelers anymore because there is no more discipline, folding under pressure, key turnovers. This happens every year. So as fans that are actually in Pittsburgh, how has this happened? And why are the fans in Pittsburgh actually 'rooting' for this? It's like watching your kids keep making the same mistakes on a test and it's like after the 20th time, maybe that kid could pay a bit more attention? Or is Tomlin taking the paycheck and he's complacent because of the lack of aggravation from the fans? The Steelers are falling down the rungs and it's sad to see. It's more sad because the talent was there. The window was there and it got completely wasted.

This isn't a complaint. It's facts. As the 'smart' Bengals fans said to the 'homer' Bengals fans said, you're just enabling Mike Brown to keep doing what he's doing. And as fans they got to watch their team just be a so-so playoff team at times, with no push for a Super Bowl.

Again, be careful being that fan that blindly roots for colors and not the substance. If you don't care about the Steelers winning a Super Bowl, then you're fine. No worries. You won't be disappointed. If I'm proven wrong, that's great, and I'll come back here and say wow, I was completely wrong about Tomlin. Right now, I just don't see any real reason that Tomlin could pull off another Super Bowl.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t think you’re understanding the rule.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I understand the rule perfectly well. The rule was designed to get more black head coaches into the league. Like I said before, "any" rule that pushes you toward "any" particular race is bad.....PERIOD!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Whether fans like or hate Tomlin it has no bearing on anything.
    I feel like some of you guys that don’t like Tomlin are under the impression that fans that do like him somehow help him keep his job?
    If you can’t take it anymore and the team doesn’t do it for you then why bother?

Also what does Cincinnati have to do with anything?