1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread only for Tomlin detractors....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    When Mikey starts butting heads with Big Ben he will be shown the door. ARod kinda pushed McCarthy out the door, not saying it was the wrong thing to do.

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's the point I was making. The number of coaches you have in a period of time is irrelevant. The Pittsburgh Penguins have had 22 coaches in the last 50 years but 5 championships one less than the Steelers. So what difference does it make? I understand you shouldn't fire every couple years but you can keep trying until you find the right guy within a reasonable amount of time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm not a Tomlin hater or supporter. I'm a Steelers fan and supporter and I do have some issues with coach Tomlin.

He was hired in 07' and in his 2nd yr won a SB with a team Mostly built by Cowher. Starting in 2012 with the Roster built mainly by his Hands the team has gone 8-8 three times, 9-6-1 once and 10-6 once. No losing seasons during these 13 seasons with 5 seasons missing the playoffs. This isn't real bad but should be better. The first 5 games of each of these seasons are losing one's except 17' (3-2). These slow starts of the season is becoming a standard of Tomlins preparation of the Steelers coming out of Camp.

Mike Tomlin worked & coached under Randy Fitchner in 97' as wr coach. Randy was the OC & QB coach @ Arkansas State and he worked & coached under Butler in 98' as a DB coach. Butler was DC/LB coach and still at Arkansas St. Notice something about Randys & Butlers Job title then and now. Randy was one of Tomlins first hires getting him into the pros, retaining Butler ultimately Promoting him once LeBeau was ushered out. Tomlin is Loyal, very loyal to those who helped him But Butler is only succeeding as DC Because the Defense is primarly 1st rounders and it took attaining the services of Minkah into this season. He should been replaced at least last year. Randy ios a colossal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Lookout!! I think someone needs a safe space and some Aviator-colored crayons!!

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He's too damn loyal. Sometimes you have to sacrifice keeping your friends employed for the good of the team. And another issue is that Tomlin doesn't seem to seek out assistants with new ideas. He doesn't go that extra mile. It's like AR2 has to do it for him like he did with Haley.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who knows who is making the decisions concerning coaches? I agree that Tomlin should put his foot down if they are doing it for him. But he is along for the ride, can't blame him for that. The Steeler team is a coach's easiest path to the hof. Thank you Rooneys.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yes! Pound the rock vs 7-8 man fronts. Brilliant!

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    We'll never know. All we know is what wasn't working.
    The Bills didn't even need to stack the box with the Steelers lining up in empty sets from shotgun 90% of the time. There was no way the Steelers were going to win that game through the air and everyone knew it, except for you and coach.

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well some of you don't seem to realize is the Steelers coaches were handicapped by the QB, injuries, and overall youth of the skill position players.

5 turnovers ruined any chances the Steelers had of winning a close one posession game.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I for one acknowledge all that transpired top to bottom. The well of atrocity that struck this team would hamper any unit without a doubt. My only thing with any of it was the fact that the coaching staff still trotted out the same bizarre and asinine packages that have been overly predictable with healthy vets. Lot to put on young inexperienced men and ask them to outperform the competition that have long known what's already coming execution be damned.

I think Tomlin did the best he could with the ingredients he had however, I don't believe he reigned in his staff and or their game plans this year as well as on top of other years enough to play to their strengths regardless of how weak those strengths were. We need some X and O mentality to run rough shod around here just as wildly as the willy nilly stuff has been allowed too... And I'm not referencing hugs and kisses.

Coach T is who he is which is fine in many aspects... Where he falters is in failing to surround himself with folks that can do the scientific planning of getting the right folks in the right position and adjusting for when life hands you dog ****.

Not saying this team was getting 7 this year by any means but there was enough there to make some noise if it weren't for the coordinators ****ting the bed (yes butler included) and their HC for not addressing these bedside manners time and time again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I realize the circumstances they were dealing with.
    I'm referring to things like the end of the first half of that Bills game. 2 minutes left, Steelers run the wildcat on first and goal, fumble, Bills recover it and run out the half. Why the wildcat there? Why the wildcat at all? It failed all season after the cincy game. It had already failed a couple times in that game.

Kicking the field goal on first down would have made more sense.:sneak:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Rooney is more worried about this rule then fixing his own dumpster fire in front of his face. Truly does start at the very top.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, just like the Titans.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I can't say with any certainty if they trotted out the same schemes and plays. I would guess they trotted out the plays that everybody practiced in camp and the plays the QB and players felt comfortable executing on a weekly basis.

Sports in general boils down to execution not predictability. Some of you guys kill me with this Xs and Os nonsense. Especially when you don't know Xs and Os yourselves and don't study game film.

It's difficult to take people seriously knowing that the players handcuffed the coaches because they didn't play well enough, there were injuries, ect. And at the same time expect coaches to work Xs and Os miracles.

The team made some noise. The deficiencies and mistakes ( ie turnovers and penalties) on offense is what held the team back.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    IMO, MT doesn't coach but rather manages. At least that is what I see from brief TV shots and opinions from guys like Bradshaw. He's a gazer with his hands in his pockets staring up or out at something. He manages based on routines and repetition and doesn't change much if anything before, during or after a game. He is either stupid or intellectually lazy and I don't know which it is. Sounds more like former when talking as he sounds as if he is reading from books titled, How to Sound Smart When You're Not. or How to Give a Press Conference and Still Not. This horse has been beaten to death and nothing is going to change or matter whatever anyone says on here. We'll see what we'll see next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Don't think that will ever happen. Tomlin needs Ben more than Ben needs him so Coach Appeaser will not press the test button and butt heads with BB. The coaching staff are all pretty weak when it comes to leadership and have been taken advantage of by BB, AB, and LB. In my opinion if we had more real leaders on the coaching staff maybe we'd still have all of the B's. We'll never know.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Don't forget the wildcat.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This team wasn't going to do anything even if they made the playoffs, opponents figured out Duck couldn't make certain throws.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Well brother it's ok if they wanted to test the Bills to see if they were prepared for the wildcat. Not every play was going to work. At the end of the day they didn't have anything to lose trying the wildcat on offense.

They wouldn't had needed to try the wildcat if the QBs played better. The stuff people place their focus makes me scratch my head sometimes. Especially when the problems went deeper than attempting to use the wildcat a few times.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I've been calling for the Steelers to move on from Tomlin since late last season, but the premise of this thread ridiculous and makes the discussion pointless. It should have lasted one post with a bunch of agree ratings.

Tomin sucks! Fire him! Don't you dare disagree with me! Discuss!

Enjoy your echo chamber. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t you realize the players are expected to perform no matter what obstacles are placed in front of them. You need to work on your realization skills....

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yep... Thd Rooney Rule, What a good thing...Great thing! He's even stirring things up again because of the hires this off-season,and rightfully so!

But...This is also why imo, Tomlin is like a blank check...No way in hell Rooney " the Rooney Rule " Is getting rid of Tomlin...A Coach who has won, Won a Super Bowl, and the never had a losing season thing

You can bet Tomlin damn well knows it to...You can tell by his non chalant attitude, That he KNOWS he's not going anywhere...Until he says so!

23. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    So what you are saying is MT gives this rule a bad name and and the rule is a great thing? Its mostly symbolic and PC than substance as teams/ businesses will invest as they deem appropriate using their money. If the NFL actually thought this was a great idea why doesn't it apply to ownership? The reason is, obviously, the real power of the NFL would be impacted and we can't have that now can we? I'd like to think MT is still on board because the organization feels its chances of winning is better with MT that not. But who knows?

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What does the Rooney rule have to do with firing a coach?

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Come on! You can do better than this. I've said it for years and we will only know "if" Tomlin ever gets fired. When you make a big political push for preferential treatment of a given race, you can't then fire your coach of that race. It would be a media frenzy!