1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bud Dupree is the perfect candidate for a one-year tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I would like to see them keep Dupree over Hargrave . Bud and Watt could be even better next year and that's scary for opposing offenses. I would like to see them go after Eric Ebron in FA. Kenyan Drake would also be a nice pickup. I think they can free up the space needed to keep Bud and pickup mid level FA

2. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018

I think a big reason the secondary did so much better this year was due to the lethal outside pass rush. Watt and Dupree got after the quarterback this year. The addition of Fitzpatrick was huge too but I still the pass rush was the biggest reason

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Great. Who is that free agent outside linebacker who can get double-digit sacks and defend the run better than Dupree? I will save you the trouble and tell you that player isn't coming here for $8 million.

Apparently, you didn't watch the defense that closely this season because he absolutely made some game-changing plays.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Sad but oh so true..........

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    MY OPINION is Beasley and Golden, I am not sure 8 mil gets it done but I could see 10 mil. Bud had a great season but I feel there are guys in FA that can take advantage of TJ being on the other side and a pretty good secondary. I can see a guy like Beasley signing for 8m for one year if he don't get offers he like and come here clean up in sacks and get a monster contract next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    If we tag him no team can offer and yes we need to look at a OLB in the draft for sure. :thumbs_up:

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We can tag him with the unexclusive tag no? Then we can agree on compensation if nobody wants him for two first. Maybe a first & third.

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree about the pass rush but i see Dupree as a journeyman, nothing special. The Steelers could find his 11.5 sacks other places.

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    $8 million you're probably right about. $16 mil will not be a good return on Dupree, i think we could find a 6-8 sack guy & get close to Dupree's impact with what we have + that.
    I wasn't able to watch many games this year. He did impact a few this year but it's been a small sample for 5 years.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not sure would have to look that up. I know there are a couple options but not sure what is available

11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I've been looking it up & a team is entitled to two 1st rounders if another team signs him. What i can't find is what if the Steelers would take less than two 1st rounders, can they work out a deal within the rule?

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If a team agrees a deal under the non exclusive tag and the Steelers choose not to match it will be two first rounders. The other team would be negotiating directly with Bud or his agent in that case. I can’t see anybody giving that up for Bud, or any non QB player.

The only way they would get less is if they franchise tagged him and then traded him to another team. If they do tag him and the wheels come off the season prior to the trade deadline they may try to trade him and get something for him before he hits free agency. They’ll get a comp pick in any case, probably a third round selection

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree no one is giving up two first rounders. Some talking head had me believing that the Steelers could negotiate a lesser price than 2 first rounders. Some team might be willing to talk to Dupree then. If not then agree somewhat with your plan, trade Dupree before the deadline unless he is approaching allpro #s.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You didn't see many of the Steelers' games this year? That might explain a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I still don't think he's worth a 16 million 1 year rental to inevitably let go. Gotta sign TJ and can't afford shoring up both in the next 2 years especially with a questionable Bud. Like I've said I'd prefer grave digger over Bud but really don't want to hamstring the cap with what he'd want either. Gonna be a tough off season with the would've should've couldve

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Bud is probably looking for what every other player is looking for these days, guaranteed money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is the advantage of the franchise tag. It keeps Dupree one more season while they look for a replacement, then he is gone and they free up that money for Watt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I understand that, just not so sure I'd personally want that money taken when their are other folks... Some linemen and Hilton etc...

Necessary cuts free up cash to sign some men we should keep but to keep the Bud and continuing the idea of being up aganst the wall? Tough task indeed. No clear concise route to travel in my mind I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Explain what you did with your common sense scribe. We ain't seeing it on this one.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How would you know what anybody saw if you didn't watch many games this season?

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    There are "replays" & sometimes they show the game at a later date. What is your excuse for looking ridiculous sometimes?

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't think the tag makes sense. It's probably going to be 15-17 million which is gtd for 1 year. You might as well just put that to long term contract. Maybe 40-50 mill gtd could lock him up for 4-5 years.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I will let you know if it happens.

You said you didn't watch them. Now you are saying you watched some later? How many games did you actually watch this season? I'm talking about watching the whole game, whether it be live or later.

There were quite a few games this season I couldn't watch live because they weren't on here. I have NFL Game Pass, so I just avoided all sports news until they were posted online that evening and watched them as if they were live (but without commercial breaks).

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It is all how you want to look at it, the way you said is right however here is another way to look at it. Do you really have the money to sign Bud to 18 mil a year for the next 4-5 years while still having to get Watt signed? The tag allows you to be in win now mode with Ben having 1-2 years left. It also allows the team to draft a player and get him ready to take over in 2021 when you will be paying Watt 20 mil. No way can we sign Bud for 18 mil then Watt for 20 mil still having Heyward and Tuitt making 29 mil and both Nelson and Haden making 10+ mil. This is what the tag allows us to be in win now mode, jmo.