1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread only for Tomlin detractors....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No one is changing anyone else's mind about our coaching situation. People will believe what they want to believe. However, I am curious to know what the split is on this board about MT as it seems fairly equal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Tomlin is an average coach at best. Remember, colts coach who almost went undefeated with Payton and went winless with Detroit? That coach might be where Tomlin is. Tomlin has been fortunate to have incredible talented teams, and that credit goes to Colbert. However there is no one else coaching for this long who has done less with the talent given to him. If Tomlin got his gig with Detroit or Cleveland, he wouldn’t last more than two seasons.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Love/hate.....good coach/bad coach.....is there anyone who thinks he deserves to be retained if we miss out on the playoffs again in the next year or two? It seems some guys here feel he deserves a lifetime contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Keep scrolling then

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    As much as I hate his smug grin, I think it is fair to say Harbaugh is a better head coach than Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hate is a strong word but the corners on this board are usually labeled the haters vs. the apologists.
    I am not a big fan of Tomlin myself but his record speaks for itself. 2nd best coach the last decade behind the cheater. I think he is stale for Pittsburgh, need a new direction but won't/shouldn't happen before Ben hangs it up. I believe he will go when Ben goes, retiring or told to retire. I can't count Ben out of a SB run so Tomlin could still see another SB.
    So basically I'm ready for Popcorn to go but find it amusing to give him credit where he deserves it in the bash Tomlin threads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If they miss the playoffs next year, pull the rug out from underneath Tomlin & Ben. Can both & start the rebuild a year early.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

That isn’t exactly saying anything. You’re talking about two teams with a culture of losing. You hire a new coach it takes time to assemble players that fit what you’re trying to do and actually buy in. There are no quick fixes. Looking for them is a fools errand.

One of the major problems with the browns is ownership. They want instant gratification and it simply doesn’t work that way. They hire a new coach give him a season or two for right the ship and then jettison the coach when there aren’t immediate results. The. They bring in someone else that has to start the whole project over again. Wash, rinse, repeat

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ummm... I don't recall ever calling any Steelers fans jackasses

And the coaches I mentioned actually INCREASE the chances of their teams winning throughout the game? Sure didn't look like that was the case concerning John Harbaugh or Sean Payton this past weekend. Harbaugh got his butt kicked by the Titans! And in the first Steelers/Ravens game (yes I do watch Steelers games) the Steelers would have one that game if not for the JuJu fumble.

Have you ever noticed that Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin are very close in record, Tomlin's might be a tad better. And don't give me this crap of Payton having no-name talent - his teams a stocked! And yet he only has one SB and to go 13-3 two years in a row and have nothing to show for it and not have anyone calling for his head is amazing to me. I guess he must be a good coach.

And guess what - so is Tomlin!

Feel free to insult me all you like but it won't change my "opinion" as I'm well assure I won't change yours

• Like Like x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's the frustrating part. This team could do so much better with the right coach with attention to details. But the Rooney's are so stuck on this self imposed rule of theirs to never oust a head coach. And then you have the people that say well they have 6 SB's because they've only had 3 coaches in 50 years. That is so arbitrary and superstitious nonsense. It's like saying because I didn't change my socks, I won the lottery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Oh look, right on cue, another @steelersrule6 look at me defending Tomlin post :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :duel:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With the pending 17 game schedule .500 records won’t be as easy to come by .....without a tie....:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And you let you clowns have all the fun, nah :hehehe:.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And your daily whining about the HC in every thread isn't going to change a damn thing, so deal with it :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hmm, my idea of fun sounds very different than yours. But, whatevs bruh.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Tiggs99.

Never chatted with you before. Good to talk with you.

I read through this thread basically knowing what the posts were going to be like. Some sensical and some emotional. Your response is by far and wide, up to this point, the most well-thought out for the simple fact of your quote: "However there is no one else coaching for this long who has done less with the talent given to him". This is factual not emotional and that is what I respect about it.

I admit, I was on board with Tomlin when he was hired. Although I did want to retain Cowher. I stuck by him for about the first five years or so of his tenure. Given that, the best coaching move that he made, IMO, was not of the "X" or "O" variety. Rather, when he suspended Santonio Holmes for the Giants regular season game the year we won Super Bowl XLIII. This was due to some behavior "detrimental" to the team the week leading up to the game.

I believe it had to do with Holmes being arrested for something such as weed or disorderly conduct or both. That took guts; when most coaches would have said something along the lines of: "Well, we will let the process (both judicial and/or the NFL's) play itself out". This is done to buy time for said player to not have a break in his services. Tomlin took matters into his own hands and suspended Holmes for that game with no "ifs", "ands" or "buts". I really respected him for that. What even magnified the respect of that "coaching" move was the irony of Holmes making that phenomenal TD catch and helping us to win the Championship.

However, as time passed, and Cowher's players started to move on from the Steelers, it became evident that we did not have a "X" and "O" type coach. Yes, he never has had a losing season as some want to point too when these types of threads/posts arise. Nevertheless, it is about championships and back to your original quote: "However there is no one else coaching for this long who has done less with the talent given to him" resonates the "truth". For that, I am in 100% agreement with you. Given the talent pool that we have had over the years under Tomlin, we should definitely have had several more rings but we do not. For that, I have soured on the man. Not as a human being but as a coach. He had his time here and now it is time for him to move on. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Right back atcha, babe. ;)

...or...

Pot, meet kettle. You're both black.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    More important then his record to me is how and who he is losing to. Jets and Browns losses are devastating. Losing to NE is the standard yes but by such a large margin ? Too be 1-4 and bring your team back to 8-5 and then take a dump shows inability to coach consistently. This is what people
    should be more concerned about... Winning records are all fine and good and I would still prefer the record of the Steelers then being a browns fan but the standard to use a tomlinisim is not a good standard and certainly not the Steeler organization that we were accustom to. How to right this ship is beyond me. I am just a fan and by no means could I actually do anything if the job and fate of this team was in my hands.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    How do you explain Green Bay this year?

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Does gb have a culture of losing? Is the situation there the anomaly or the norm?

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    other than pats most teams are lucky to get there once or twice and maybe win one. We are in that pool

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    We were in that pool.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1