1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Vrabel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    He was one of my favorite players when he was here. I don't remember why he left.

Yeah, he was a smart savvy player that contributed. I was sorry to see him leave.

I'm not surprised his team is playing well and getting it done.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He was behind Greg Lloyd, Jason Gildon and Joey Porter on the depth chart. Obviously he was a good player. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I figured this was going to be a hire vrable thread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep, went to n.e and won multiple superbowls. Lb, fb, te ... he did it all

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    as mentioned he played behind gildon,older Greg Lloyd, young Joey porter, and Clark haggans.

He did have a game sealing sack against drew Bledsoe in the 1997 divisional round. Steelers lost to broncos in afc championship game.

He was just a football player all round, not just a pass rusher, his pass rush wasn’t on the level of the other guys, cowher coveted guys who got after the qbs

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Fire Tomlin, Hire Vrabel!! lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Exactly! But he was an excellent backup and did get in a lot of games here.

Well he sure was in the right place to get trained for the position. He did eventually become a starter and probably had a decent career. I'm thinking he picked Cowher and Belichick's brains pretty good.:smiley1:

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Would take him in a heartbeat .

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Interesting you mention those 2 HCs. Since Bill O'Brien hired him at Houston from Ohio St, that makes him part of O'Brien's coaching tree. O'Brien's coaching tree in 5 years as a HC is already better than Tomlin's tree. Tomlins coaching tree looks like Charlie Browns Christmas tree with two branches and a nut.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I was ticked when they cut Vrabel. Took me a long time to get over it. He always seemed to make smart plays and plays when you really needed one.
    I was not surprised Bellicheat picked him up. I have no doubt Bellicheat seen his enthusiasm and smarts.
    I wish him well but just not against the Steeler.
    I recall when the Steelers were playing the Patriots and nesting our Steelers badly. Vrabel in his Patriots uniform on the sidelines mocking the Steelers within what I believe to calling out our play signals and laughing about it. That pissed me off.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The guy turned into a complete d*ck after he left here imo. He whined that the Steelers didn't believe in him and look where he's at now. Yeah dude you're the first player that one franchise was wrong about and another one took advantage of that. Get over yourself. Hope the Chiefs (presumably) finally take them out next week.

12. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I would like to see the chiefs win it all. As for his whining I don't remember that, sure it's true. How did he expect to be selected or to remain over Porter in my opinion ? I did want them to keep Vrabel as an all around backup linebacker/slash special team guy or whatever to keep him. He was a good player but not a player you chop up the roster for. I'm just happy he put it to the patriots in the playoffs.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They didn't cut Vrabel. He left as a free agent. The coaches should have been more creative and found a way to use him.

If I remember correctly, he wasn't really playing behind Porter and Haggans, either. They were both rookies in 2000, Vrabel's final season as a Steeler. Haggans didn't play much at all. Porter started to flash some ability late that season, but it's not as if Vrabel never played.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    He said he would cut off his nuts to win a Super Bowl. Think he did it already??

15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Cowhers coaching tree ---------Capers, B.A, D.L, Whiz,Gaily,Lewis . all head coaches im prob forgetting another ... Tomlins coaching tree------------:facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It was a numbers game, in 2001 they drafted Kendrell Bell, Gildon, Porter, Bell, and Haggens were a pretty decent group of LB's. Honestly cannot remember if Vrabel played inside or out..hindsight says he would have been as valuable as Haggens..but hindsight is the worth of yesterdays winning numbers in the lottery.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    From what I remember it seemed like the Steelers weren't sure how to use Vrabel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think it was simply that they didn't know how to use Vrable. They had better options.

Those were the days when the Steelers could stock pile LB/DE tweeners because they were one of the few teams that ran a true 3-4 defense.

It was also a time before a lot substitution and multiple package defenses.

19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    was he cut? I thought his contract was up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Vrabel played outside linebacker for us. It was strictly a numbers game and we couldn't keep all of them. I thought he was as good as or equal to anyone we had. Definitely one of the smarter players we had similar to Jack Ham type player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Vrabel played outside. It was the Patriots who started using him inside as well.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is more than they didn't realize using him at inside linebacker could work. They played him at outside linebacker, which was the best fit in their defense at the time, but that meant he didn't have a starting spot.

23. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    So, how is it that after 13 years a HC doesn't have anyone who he hired that was qualified enough to be considered as a HC for another team? Is this real? Is our HC the only one that can claim this in the 100 years of the NFL for as long as he has been a HC? Just wondering. Personally, I can see this being a reality based on what I've seen since he's been here. Bradshaw nailed him perfectly. All coach rah rah does is glare up at the jumbotron with his hands in his pocket while the other opposing head coaches are shaking and baking making calls and coordinating plays with their coordinators. MT isn't very smart and delegates what other HC's do ..At least that is how he communicates with the press, IMO>

24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

You might wana direct your question to a Tomlin supporter, In which i am not ... lol

25. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    It was more of a rhetorical question.