1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My crude rating system for Tomlin/Cowher in the playoffs....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Dec 30, 2019.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Can't coach? Ok you are cluess if you believe that Tomlin can't coach.

Letting the disappointments eat at you and letting them cloud your judgment is on you. Glad the people in charge know better.

One thing is certain. Tomlin is more of a Steeler than any of us.

In an 8-8 season or any other seasons I can place the situation in the proper perspective. That's what the ownership does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The Green Bay Packers with a rookie head coach are headed to the NFCCG. But ignore that, let's stick with mediocrity. Apparently that's what Steelers ownership does.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    But he’s doing it with McCarthy’s players. So he gets 0 credit.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Go back to chess, Tomlin has you irate.

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Tomlin will produce slightly above average results (no losing seasons) regardless of the talent you give him. So if you want to get the best out of Tomlin, give him limited talent:huh:

6. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    You're absolutely factually correct that Mike Tomlin is employed by the Steelers, but, however, we are paying (by watching on TV, buying merchandise, tickets, etc, etc) consumers that are actually allowed to criticize a product that is 'given' to us. Some of us actually believe that the product on the field is not up to par and are looking for something a bit more considering the talent on the field. Just because we 'never played' or are actual Steelers should not discount our opinion, either. All of us have abilities that God gave us and just because we don't have an official title doesn't mean that we can't have some sort of actual judgement. If the ownership group feels like the last 9 years have been a success, I would argue that completely. If the ownership group made enough money, maybe they were a success. As for the product on the field, the results were very poor to say the least. Having a hall-of-fame quarterback is a luxury in the NFL and in 9 years if you can't put yourself in a position to win a Super Bowl with that luxury, that says alot.

Ok, you're absolutely right, Mike Tomlin can coach......just not very well considering the talent that he has had. Come on man, He should have gone to at LEAST 1 super bowl and multiple AFC championship game during the past 9 years....

And I know this has been asked before, when has Mike Tomlin done something that was like Wow, there was NO way the Steelers were going to win that game and Mike Tomlin had them ready.....Just give me ONE example.....That's all I ask, in 9 years. Again, to me, when Cowher took the Steelers into Indianapolis, I was like no way they can win this game (lost 7-26 in the regular season), I just hope they keep it close. Playing a 14-2 Indy team with HOF players all over....

Now your turn....and we'll try this way...

7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Right or wrong you can criticize whatever or whoever you want. You can carry the negative baggage for years (as it appears that you do).

Don't watch if you don't believe the product is up to par. Problem solved. Or maybe you just like to complain about Tomlin? I don't know.

My sports experience is much better being optimistic as opposed to being pessimistic. I don't control the outcome of games either way. I don't control the decisions of the organization. So yeah, I'd rather be optimistic. Even with disappointing losses I'd rather be optimistic for the next season. I'd certainly have to give up watching if I had to carry the negative baggage. Attempting to understand why they loss ie turnovers brings some "comfort" as opposed to just believing Tomlin isn't a good coach.

Here is the harsh reality for you. The only people that benefit from sports are the people that get compensated financially or have something to gain financially. Ownerships, playes, and networks get big rewards.

Fans are really the suckers in all of this. Fans invests themselves emotionally and financially for what? Positive or negative feelings?

I live with the entertainment value sports provide. Outside of time I don't spend much at all for the entertainment value. Fans get to live with the agony of defeat for years. For example, you are still hanging onto losses that happened years ago. I let go. Carrying that type of negative emotion wasn't good for me and it isn't good for anyone.

Come on man, there were reasons outside of coaching as to why this team didn't have more success. The ownership recognized that and that's why Tomlin still has a job. It's that simple.

Take a look at this season if you want to see Tomlin WOW you. Most people gave up on this team after 0-3. It didn't look like they would win a game. They fell short of the playoffs but the fact that they were in the hunt until the last game speaks to the job he and the other coaches and players did. I am certain Tomlin doesn't rest on that fact but I can as a fan. Simply because I don't control any of it.

Enjoy reading or not.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-been-mike-tomlins-best-coaching-job-to-date/

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    In 2018 when they beat the Patriots :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Definitely give you that it was a good win. I wish it would have happened in the playoffs. And I wish the Steelers didn't dig a hole by losing to the Raiders and Broncos earlier in the season. Now, saying that if the Steelers beat the Saints in NO, then I would have given Tomlin tons of credit. But the thing is, I can't give a coach credit for digging a hole by losing to inferior teams and then having to beat superior teams to make up for it. Tomlin can't do that. He's not able to.

10. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    There's no negative baggage. Lol The Steelers aren't my children. But, I disagree that the fans don't have power. I don't think the fans should go to any games if they feel strongly about Tomlin and I've started doing that. Of course fans are suckers and I'm trying to empower other fans to speak up and make sure ownership knows that what the product is, isn't what I like to see. A positive person can enable a bad situation. A negative person can open up eyes otherwise. You're absolutely right, the players, owners, and networks make money. They could care less about us.

I grew up watching tons and tons and tons of football. I sell football cards on ebay. That's my life, so I am very interested in what players are holding value or what players may shoot up in value or go down in value. Big Ben rookie cards have gone down in value because he couldn't put up another SB win. Didn't even get there. In the real market, Big Ben could have been a Peyton Manning type value (rookie card-wise), but I believe Big Ben got held up a bit by Tomlin. That's my business to know what players have great appeal and respect from hobbyists who do spend their money. That's where a lot of my prespective comes from as well. Tomlin is nothing special to most fans. At least the hobbyists I've spoken with. Therefore, Leveon Bell, Antonio Brown, Big Ben rookies aren't looked at great values. That's some great talent, but what did they produce? Nothing for the most part to be honest. Think of that perspective. I can tell you what fans think because of how they spend their money on my football cards that I collected.

I said Tomlin was great this season until 8-5 and then a collapse. I mean, the Jets?!? Can't beat the Jets when your team is on the brink of the playoffs. I mean, it's the Jets. Raiders last year and then on and on...

11. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    I read the article and I agreed on December 2nd, 2019. I agreed on 12.9.19. Started having doubts on 12.16.19 but figured the Steelers can beat the Jets. On 12.22.19, I officially shook my head and said typical Tomlin. Last game the team checked out. Pretty sad. Ravens backups. Gotta play closer than that.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No one person wins a game, and no one person loses a game, it's a team thing.

13. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Either he is a good coach in your mind or he is not. The people that actually know the game believe Tomlin is a good coach. You still hung up on 2011 so............

The key thing is to be able to properly analyze why the team loss to the Jets, Bills, or any other team. It isn't simply typical Tomlin. That's why Tomlin is still the coach of this team.

Why do you think Tomlin is still the coach of this team after 13 seasons if he were doing such a horrible job?

I want to bring something to your attention. The Steelers are a small market team. As such, I believe they need to remain competitive to have sustained success. Meaning they have to keep people in the seats at the stadium. They did that up until the last game of 2018 and 2019 seasons. They also need to remain competitive to keep the team in Pittsburgh in these uncertain times of teams leaving cities for greener financial pastures. Don't think it can't happen because it can.

Again my philosophy regarding this is simple. I'd rather have a team that remains competitive and has a chance to make the playoffs consistently than to have a team that goes 1-16, 3-13, 5-11 ect. At least until the can build another SB winner (this is not easy). The Steelers season wasn't over until the final game of the season in 2018 and 2019. Disappointing ends but not the end of the world. There hope the team can have a better record next season. Hopefully the organization can put together a winner in 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    I understand what you're saying completely. I'm just telling you that you and other Steeler fans on this board are starting to sound like Bengals fans. Just Replace Marvin Lewis for Mike Tomlin. The Bengals actually have had 7 playoff appearances in 11 years. Is that good? Would you say that is what you want as a fan? On paper, that's really awesome. 7 playoff appearances! Could have won against the Steelers even.

Being able to coach a few good games here and there is fine, but obviously, he couldn't bring home the trophy in 9 years with talent. Why was Tony Dungy fired in TB? Jon Gruden came in and won the Super Bowl. I think Tomlin can coach here and there but overall isn't a good coach. He can't win a clutch game to save his life now. When and what has he done that has made you think that Tomlin has not peaked yet? Shouldn't you get better as your tenure increases? Did you think of that?

Other teams used to lose before the game when they saw the Steelers jerseys coming to town. Nowadays, no one fears the Steelers. It's very possible that the Steelers will fold in clutch situations. I talk with other fans a lot, talk football a bunch with people that buy and collect sports cards. The Steelers by far are the most overrated team for not having won a SB in 9 years to be honest. The average sports fan that I speak with doesn't find the Steelers intimidating, nor a juggernaut. They're a ho-hum team that is not a threat anymore.

The Bengals and the Steelers are getting closer in their philosophies these days from what I've read. Satisfied with average and eventually, we'll be like the Bengals of the 90s. Get too complacent and you'll see the results. Some fans are already happy with complacency. There are better things to strive for. You have to cut loose of the fear of not having an 8-8 team. Pretty soon, the Steelers are going to be in last place in the division, unless we get bolder. Ravens, Browns, Bengals are not that far away from passing us by. Ravens already have, but if the Browns and Bengals put together some pieces with a coach and key players returning for the Bengals, you'll eventually see what resting on laurels does. And those laurels aren't even that great. Steelers haven't been on top for 9 straight years but had the talent to do so.

15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin proved he could help this team bring home the Trophy. Winning is extremely difficult to accomplish on a consistent basis. The Bengals are worse off without Lewis. It will be ironic but some of you may end up looking back on the Tomlin era with a better view if the Steelers become a perennial loser. Or maybe not. You don't appreciate how difficult it is to win in sports.

Again if you don't think Tomlin is a good coach contrary to what former coaches, former players, and current players said you never will. There isn't a coach out there that's going to magically will this team to a championship. The Steelers may never win another championship in our lifetimes. That's how difficult it is to win a championship. So I will take the competitive seasons and making the playoffs until they can win another championship.

There's going to come a day when Tomlin is no longer the HC. We shall see what happens.

16. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Well, as some have said, Tomlin walked into a great situation with a lot of pieces in place. I think those pieces all fell down like a Jenga game under Tomlin's watch. One of my biggest problems with Tomlin is the chest bumping and doing these high fives on the sidelines like a kid. The players are out-of-control. What is Tomlin's line? I don't care what you do Monday through Saturday, as long as you give me something on Sunday? With that attitude, how do you expect a team to be great when there isn't accountability except for 1 day out of the week? And even then Tomlin doesn't do anything. Finally suspending AB after how many years of antics? Not good.

In regards to the Bengals, you're way off. That team has a young coach that played SUPER hard without AJ Green and even when the coach started Findley or whoever their backup was. They are in position to draft Joe Burrow, get AJ Green Back, Mixon is a stud and may be getting a 1st round lineman back who was injured all of last year. They did not give up in any game that I saw them play. Bengals fans are very excited about that team and are happy that they moved on from Lewis. They realized that getting to the playoffs doesn't mean much unless you bring home the trophy. The Bengals fans realized Lewis isn't a super bowl caliber coach.

Again, why isn't Tomlin getting better as he goes through his career? Why's he getting worse? Why can't he coach a team to beat the Raiders when your team needs the win at that point in the season? Why couldn't the Jets be beaten this season? Why can't Tomlin beat Tim Tebow? Why can't he beat Bortles? I mean at some point, you have to realize there's a disconnect. You say he's a good/great coach, but can't pull out victories later in his coaching career? That's not a good sign. Lol In my eyes.

17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You have a problem with Tomlin chest bumping and high fiving on the field? Eye roll. One of the things I can appreciate about Tomlin is his passion for the game on and off the field. He loves his job.

Anyway carry on with the hate bro. When people become completely unreasonable im done.

18. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Yes, I have a problem with that when you don't chew out your players on the field as well for making bone-head plays. Can't have it both ways.

I'm not carrying any hate. I expect more our of the Steelers franchise than 8-8....Carry on the mediocrity bro...

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This isn’t said particularly as a defence of Tomlin, but I don’t put too much stock in what we see on the sidelines (on TV at least). I remember Labriola saying once that players are chewed out plenty in the team meetings. There’s an argument to be had about how effective either tactic is.

I remember back in Cowher’s day Randle El muffed a punt return due to not reaching for the ball. When he got to the sidelines, Cowher acted out how he should have caught it correctly. So the positive spin: he’s correcting something immediately. The negative spin: why didn’t he correct it before in practice? In reality, we’ll never know if it was effective (as El was trying to run out of sight as quickly as possible); or if he even needed it.

Long and short of it: as I’ve said many times, there’s plenty to critique of Tomlin just by what happens on the field. No need to chide coaches for not appearing to do what we think they should be doing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    You're absolutely correct and I'm just pointing out that I would rather see a coach do both things on the sidelines. I don't want the coach of my favorite team jumping up and down and high-fiving until you've got that trophy in hand. You know, it takes focus on the task at hand to win a Super Bowl, starting with one play at a time. It's great to celebrate, but why not celebrate when you win a Super Bowl. I know it stinks the Patriots have dominated so the comparison will be there. I'd rather have the mentality of what have we accomplished lately? Keeps the gears moving. Taking time to celebrate a 3 and out against the Ravens in the first series of OT when you haven't won the game is a little embarrassing for me as a fan. Win the game first and then start giving high fives and pats on the back. That is all I'm saying.

When your punter kicks the ball 22 yards in a key situation, why not then show some anger and fight? You know, love them when they are great and discipline when they are not....