1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow HOF Live !

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jammasterc, Jan 11, 2020.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    True, maybe his best coached game. We had no business being able to snatch that game away from the Cowgirls. Just a shame we did not steal it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Not exactly. Cowher coached one more year and his final season was a mess, in part due to Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident and appendectomy that pretty much ruined him the first half of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    That last year was tough to watch Cowher without the same emotion but I had no clue his wife was dying. One thing that I miss is he gave some decent info at his press conferences.

If he didnt like something on Special Teams he seamed to discuss it.

Tomlin is a lot like Belicheat in that they do not give one iota of what they are really thinking with their generalities and I understand why.

I never got the vibe that Cowher took the media as just something he had to do as policy but instead sometimes gave you his impression of what and why something did not go as planned and how it may be addressed.

Just my observation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    That was the only time I became physically ill over a sport event. All my friends are huge Cowboy Fans and that was tough to stomach.

In todays rules you would not have a safety like Scott Case sit there and tee off when the Steelers had Hastings, Johnson, Thigpen, Slash, Holiday who got destroyed. Mills was injured?

Anyways ...Bam was like running downhill in that game. Ugh...still eats me up. lol

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Congrats Coach Cowher, love you as a coach and what you stand for. Pittsburgher thru and thru.

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Wasnt John Madden a media darling pick, and he only coached for 10 years....

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He finished 8-8 in a season that everyone talked him into coming back to defend the title.I was surprised we did that well.He had planned to retire with Bettis. He wanted to be with Kate and the girls.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    love him or hate him, madden did a lot for the nfl other than just coaching. He marketed the league in a lot of ways. Broadcasting, commercials, video game, etc.
    But he had a serious distain for the Steelers. But it was rightfully so, they probably kept madden winning 2 or 3 Super Bowls

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Very happy for the Chin. He was great back then, now, and forevermore. He is the epitome of what the NFL is or used to be.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    As of now, Tomlin has the better record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    He is still not as good of a coach as Cowher..... Tomlin has done nothing but waist talent his whole carear... I'm not sure why anyone had to mention him on this thread.

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You did.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Dagmire. I have to disagree with you there. He definitely is deserving of the Honor! He had phenomenal Defenses most years but never had a quality QB to compliment them until Ben came along. Once he did, it did not take long to get that ring. Too bad they could not have been together longer. Personally, I feel that if they did there would have been other rings. Given that, I am grateful for the one that he got. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    While I liked Cowher and am glad he's going to the HOF, his last year the team went 8-8. Much like, dare I say,...…………….Tomlin!

15. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Hall of Fame coaches dont consistenly lose home playoff games. He is not a hall of fame coach.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I am surprised he got in in his first year when Coryell has been passed over all these years. Maybe because he's in broadcasting and is in the public spotlight weekly...….

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Congrats Billy boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What next Tomlin get's in:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Taken from Wiki:

“At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Steelers had the best record of any team in the NFL since Cowher was hired as head coach.”

“In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned 10 postseason playoff berths (including six straight in his first six seasons), played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Her name was Kaye, not Kate. I'm not sure when exactly they found out she was sick. The Cowhers kept it pretty quiet until she died in 2010.

That team had a serious Super Bowl hangover, especially Roethlisberger. Roehtlisberger wasn't right physically all season after the motorcycle accident and the appendectomy right before the season started. They had some games, especially one in Oakland, in which he gave the team no chance to win. They rallied in the second half of the season, mostly because their quarterback started playing worth a damn.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He also has two Super Bowl appearances and one championship. Coryell's teams never even made it to a Super Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a fair representation of how Cowher seemed to approach the media. I interviewed him a few times, always as part of a group, and he actually tried to answer questions rather than try to bury everything in coachspeak.

22. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I enjoyed his speech until he gave Bellicheat props. What ? ! What the hell did Bellicheat teach Cowher ? Cowher owned Bellicheat when Bellicheat was the Browns coach. Not rumor, not sour grapes but, Bellicheat needed to cheat against Cowher. I see no reason to respect Bellicheat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Cowher and Bellichick have been friends since before either guy became a head coach. I've heard Cowher tell the story. When they first met, they sat down and taught one another what they knew about the other guy's specialty. They helped one another out and Cowher was acknowledging the contribution of his friend. I don't like Belichick, but how can you not like Cowher's loyalty?

Edit: Here is the clip I was talking about.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-footbal...ichick-mentored-Cowher-about-how-to-coach-LBs

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I've heard hilarious takes from a lot of Browns fans here in Ohio about Bill Cowher getting in to the HOF.

Back when there was a chance Cleveland could hire Cowher as head coach Browns fans were like...

"He's one of the greatest coaches of this generation and could get is to the Super Bowl"!

But when Cowher goes in to the HOF as a Pittsburgh Steeler the Browns fans be like...

"Well ya know he really under achieved during his years in Pittsburgh"

:lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016

Years ago I'm at a bar in Costello Pennsylvania during hunting season. The place is loaded with with Browns fans and me the only Steeler fans. I think they were there because Ohio doesn't do rifle hunting ? Not sure about that but, it was just my opinion of why, so many Ohio guys were there. They see me with my Steeler hat or shirt and they start on me. One guy said to me, " look at your Steelers, you have ex Browns players, (Noll) (Cowher)as your head coaches to get you your Super Bowl wins. " Yes, you are right I told them, they must have realized they couldn't accomplish winning Super Bowls with the loser Browns. "

• Like Like x 1