1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Premier RB would return Steelers to championship level

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Premier running back would return Steelers to championship level

By MATT STEEL

Let's assume the Steelers can maneuver their salary cap to re-sign Bud Dupree and B.J. Finney. Should the front office sign both, the Steelers, I believe, would be on the verge of possessing a championship-caliber roster.

Defensively, every player of major significance would be under contract for two more seasons. Finney would add youth and experience to the interior line whether he starts at left guard in 2020 or at center soon. His signing would buy the Steelers another year before they need to address the position early in the draft. The front office would be left with only two positions that could use a dynamic upgrade for the 2020 season.

To fit in both Dupree and Finney financially, Vance McDonald likely would be released. Regardless if McDonald stays or goes, tight end should be a high priority position in the draft. I just don't see a dynamic talent at that position to be had in the second round. Hunter Bryant has more of a chance of being a Gerald Everett or an Irv Smith Jr. than he does being a dynamic game-changer. I'm not sure Brycen Hopkins is anything more than a Hunter Henry type. In other words, nothing that changes the game.

The Steelers should seek a weapon in the draft, a player that brings great effectiveness to the play-action pass. A running back would likely have the greatest chance of becoming that dynamic player who can significantly contribute to the offense as a rookie and beyond.

James Conner has shown he can play at a high level, but he just hasn't shown he can absorb contact well enough to stay healthy, and he, at pick 105 in 2017, was the highest-drafted back the Steelers possess.

Five of the sixth playoff teams in the AFC have a running back starting who had been selected inside the top 75 picks. Dalvin Cook, Derrick Henry, and Alvin Kamara are first-round talents who slid into the second round due to the devaluing of the running back position, yet running back has proven to provide the best immediate value of any position in the draft.

Without a first-round pick this April, it only makes sense that the Steelers draft a first-round talent with their second-round pick. With the current state of the Steelers quarterback position, and the high-end talent they possess defensively, becoming a run-first/play-action team should become a top offseason priority. Of the elite eight teams remaining, six run first to set up the pass. With arguably the best defensive unit in the league (assuming Dupree is retained), it only makes sense to become one of those run-first type of offenses.

Cook and Henry have helped two average quarterbacks put up extraordinary numbers this season. Assuming they had either Kirk Cousins or Ryan Tannehill at quarterback, I would have loved to see how far the Steelers could have gone in the postseason with the defense, had they utilized the system of either the Vikings or Titans. The Steelers can't afford to put all of their eggs in the Ben Roethlisberger basket again. If he does come back at age 38, it's only smart on the organization's part to assume him to be an average player at the position, and if he's better than that, it's a bonus. But at least by building the offense around the run, the Steelers will be better prepared to support Mason Rudolph the way we've seen Cousins supported this season (and Case Keenum supported two seasons ago in Minnesota).

Whether it's Roethlisberger or Rudolph, I think the Steelers could get similar production from the position the Titans and Vikings have had this past season. They just need their own Cook or Henry.

The Steelers return four running backs next season, so it's not a pressing need. But none of those four can be counted upon as game-changers, for whom opponents have to game plan. Therefore, here are the draft candidates the Steelers can't pass up at the running back position in Round Two if one happens to be available:

1. Johnathon Taylor will be long gone before pick 49. But with so many good running backs, system preferences could lead to an unexpected slide. Taylor is thick through his legs. It's hard for defenders to wrap up his thighs/hips. Taylor will move the pile. But what's unique about him is his ability to hit the home run to go along with the power. Taylor is patient and has good feet. He looks a little tight laterally, but he isn't. Taylor has good feet and lateral quickness for a back his size. His hands have steadily improved throughout his career. There might be slight concern over the amount of carries Taylor has had in his three years at Wisconsin. If anything that allows him to slip to pick No. 49, it's his average receiving ability.

2. D'Andre Swift is another home run hitter with the ability to moved the pile. More fluid than Taylor, but less of a pile mover/down-and-distance creator. That doesn't mean Swift isn't good at creating down and distance. Like Taylor, Swift is a three-dimensional back who's a capable receiver. But like Taylor, there's very little chance Swift will last until pick 49. I really can't figure out which back I like more between Swift and Taylor. I like that Taylor has run the ball from a more conventional offense. The hope here is that the Steelers return to running the ball from under center, as we're seeing with a handful of the eight teams remaining in the playoffs. Couple that with what can tell looks like a special kid with very good family structure, I'm currently giving a slight edge to Taylor. Though it matters very little when evaluating either pipe dream.

3. Travis Etienne - If I were certain about Etienne in pass protection, I might have him at the top of this list. Concern about Etienne's receiving skills were eased by two huge receptions in the national semifinal game against Ohio State. I'm not sure he can be used in receiver-type route concepts like a Kamara, but Etienne can be lethal on well-designed screen passes. The two TD receptions in the semifinal showed off Etienne's unique home run hitting speed. His explosive speed is different from everybody on this list. The New England Patriots were able to contain the Tennesee Titans play-action game in Saturday's wildcard round largely by playing two safeties deep and letting Henry get his yards. Do that with Etienne and you'll likely be leaving yourself susceptible to home runs. A player with Etienne's speed forces defenses to have to honor the running game to where it would be risky to play two safeties deep (it's one of the reasons why Kyle Shanahan prefers speed at the position). Another unique quality about Etienne is his feature running back size at 210-215 pounds. Etienne might not carry a workhorse load but with Kerrith Whyte and Benny Snell (and Conner for another season) on the roster, he won't have to. With that size, Etienne has also shown an ability to run with power. Etienne lasting to pick 49 is possible, but doubtful.

4. J.K. Dobbins is a more realistic option. Built like a bowling ball, Dobbins has also shown home run hitting ability. Good but not great hands. Dobbins' hands cost The OSU eight points in their semifinal loss to Clemson. But I loved the way Dobbins gutted out his ankle injury. Dobbins has good vision. He's tough to bring down once he gets a head of steam. He'll move the pile for you once he gets going a couple yards past the line of scrimmage. If he's met at the line of scrimmage, he's going down at the point of contact. All rookies usually have some room for improvement in pass protection. Dobbins is physically capable of being good in that area as well.

5. Najee Harris is a running back who has a chance to sneak into the first-round that and who's sliding under the radar. Harris was the number one recruit in the country three years ago. At 6-2, 230, this kid is a specimen. There are a lot of similarities between Harris and Le'Veon Bell. Like Bell, Harris is the type of back that when the defense meets him at the line scrimmage, he'll still leverage his way to pick up a couple yards. It's very difficult to drop him for no gain. Compare that to Dobbins for example, who can move tacklers a couple yards as long as he's past the line of scrimmage but will get dropped if he's met at it. It's such an underrated quality in a back. Harris should be a huge asset in setting up short down and distances or in short-yardage situations. Besides moving defenders, Harris has shown unique athleticism in jumping over them. He's also a very good receiver out of the backfield. With great size, Harris offers outstanding three-dimensional capabilities as a pass protector. Harris offers great ball security, fumbling only one time in his career. He also hasn't had the wear and tear of a Taylor because of Damien Harris and Josh Jacobs being ahead of him in the pecking order for two seasons. This is one of the reasons a large part of the draft community is sleeping on him. Bell was looked at as more of a third-round prospect when the Steelers selected him in the second round in 2013. I can see something similar happening here. Bell ran a 4.6 flat. I expect Harris to show an extra gear and run a tenth or two under 4.55. If Harris can run in the high 4.4's, I think his value could move into the late first/early second-round discussion.

All four NFC representatives remaining in the playoffs run similar versions of run-first/ play-action-pass type of offenses. Tennessee is doing the same in the AFC. Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson are the types of athletes at quarterback who allow for those teams to run different systems, even though both still rely on strong running games to succeed.

With the Patriots dynasty coming to an end, gone is the myth that you need to sling it around the yard to keep up with the Bradys, Mannings, and Brees of the league. And as Mike Tomlin is in the process of self-evaluation, he certainly must recognize that strong running games with the play-action pass are being built to support a strong defense, protect the football, and set up big plays.

Diontae Johnson is a star in the making. James Washington should continue to improve. I have all the confidence in the word in Juju Smith-Schuster bouncing back, provided he stays healthy. I would feel confident in the Steelers' chances with a blue-chip running back with either Roethlisberger or Rudolph is behind center, provided they put in the system to optimize the talent that exists on their roster and add a game-changer at the running back position.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...-level-here-are-five-blue-chippers-141767337/

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I do want a big-time RB and I think we will have a better chance of landing an elite RB than another elite WR anytime soon.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Big time RB? Haven’t you heard Snell is expected to go for 1,500 next year. I would say that’s BIG time! Joking aside I’m not totally against a RB if the right guy is there. I’m a big fan of Najee Harris’s ability. I agree that we may have a better chance of landing a elite RB over WR but at the same time the RB class is deep and as many others have already said the OL is the real key to a RBs success. Add the fact that our top 3 RBs are under contract and our 4th is a change of pace RB,KR that we also need on our roster. I also feel another factor in picking a RB early is ...are we going to commit to the running game? With Ben running the show I would bet,no.

IMO if we’re looking to bolster our offensive weapons we may as well seriously consider another WR. Initially my thought process was to add a jumbo WR/TE type later in the draft whose initial role would be primarily a RZ threat until other parts of his game caught up. Now I’m leaning towards another route runner type earlier in the draft if we are going to look to add a weapon. DJ by far is our best route runner. JUJU and JW are more size and “ box out” types.
    What we lost in AB was that quick in and out of break types that requires a double team. I’m not saying a rookie would automatically get that respect but having 2 of those guys to go along with our size guys could be what the doctor ordered and could also improve our running game with who we currently have at RB. It’s early in the process but a guy like Jalen Reagor TCU has caught my eye. I’m not sure he will be there for us but at his size 5’11 190lbs there’s a chance he falls with so much emphasis on size in the league . JMO and thoughts.....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree we need a big TE too.

5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    An unlimited salary cap (for the Steelers only) or a bucketful of top-10 draft picks would return the Steelers to championship level, too.
    I don't see that happening any time soon.

The premier RBs are usually top-10 first rounders. The Steelers had to trade to even reach the 10th spot, let alone higher.

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Man do I miss HEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTHHHHH. It was funny when Jesse James first came aboard. At first fans just knew the tight end caught a ball and gave the Heath cheer even though it was not Heath Miller.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    the major fault with that article is that he thinks we want to be the Titans or Vikings. And what pray-tell was RF doing most of the year with back up QBs? 510 Passes compared to 395 rushes. You would think your rushing total would be closer to 50/50 with the back ups at QB. Nope....RF doesn't seem to want to run the ball with Duck and MR and do you think that will change with Ben back?

RB would be a waste of a pick in a year when we don't have that many picks.

And especially NO to Travis Etienne. Quick yes, contact balance no.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No they're not...Quite the opposite

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't want to rain on the parade but Coaching, other than this past injury season would have already gotten us there.The organization wasted too many prime elite QB seasons by coaches not knowing how to utilize the overall talent. We had a premier RB, along with QB and one of, if not the best receiver in the league and still couldn't sniff a Championship.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey Hawaii (I feel like Steelwinds), we appreciate you posting these stories for the board but if you could just post the link, that would be great. Or a paragraph and can read the rest here with the link.

Thank you :hi:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Get Ben another Bus. The new Bus can win it for Ben.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
  13. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    of course, I wasn't sure how this board preferred the posting of articles.

mahalo for letting me know :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey 86WardsWay.

Bingo!

This team was "Stacked at O" and Management completely fudged it up for years. Ben, Brown, Bell, Bryant and a great O-Line. I never use to worry about the "O". Never. We had the capability to score at will. Even though we underachieved big-time there. Remember all the talk: "We can score thirty points per game". Sure we could have, on paper. And sometimes we did. Then "overnight" it was all gone.

Brown and Bell were that good folks, HOF material. Some around here let their emotions get the best of them regarding these two with the attitudes that JuJu and Conner were going to seamlessly replace Bell and Brown. WRONG! I tried to tell people here, and off of the Message Board, just how plain wrong they were. Make no mistake everyone, JuJu and Conner are good, Brown and Bell, besides being pains in the rear, were Great!

Brown is probably a complete lost cause right now. However, Bell may still be salvageable. If so, I would bring him back in a heartbeat. There was some swirling speculation that he may possibly return to us given the screwed up situation in New York. You would not have to ask me twice about taking him back. As a matter of fact, when I weigh out Brown and Bell, Bell would be the better of the two to bring back because of his versatility and teams having to special game plan for him. He was an awesome primary target and outlet weapon for Ben. He could line up in the backfield or as a receiver. Tell me how many RBs do that. Now, we have a phenomenal Defense. If we could combine today's "D" with yester-year's "O" and....just Wow! This is what you get when you have an incompetent coaching staff. Just Disgusting as I say.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Better get the OL fixed or it won't matter who has the rock. See LB @ NYJ's 2019.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    LevBell is done, stick a fork in him....he smoked one too many now his legs don’t work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Leading rushers this season:
    1. Derrick Henry (2nd round)
    2. Nick Chubb (2nd)
    3. Christian McCaffrey (1st - 8th overall)
    4. Ezekiel Elliott (1st - 4th overall)
    5. Chris Carson (7th)
    6. Lamar Jackson (1st)
    7. Leonard Fournette (1st - 4th overall)
    8. Josh Jacobs (1st)

I have slightly exaggerated. (I was thinking of Adrian Peterson, Elliott, Fournette, & Saquon Barkley.)
    But "quite the opposite" is even worse.

• Like Like x 1
  18. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    We're championship-level if Conner could stay heathy.

19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

That avatar is too funny. Given that, in all seriousness, there is some swirling speculation of Brady leaving the Patriots. Given our uncertainty of Ben's successful recovery from his injury, I personally, would snatch Brady up in a heartbeat. This is where Management blew it this year. Our contingency plan in case Ben went down, which he did, rested on the shoulders of basically two rookie QBs. Duck a true rookie and Mason a second year player with minimal experience. In all fairness to them, they played adequately. Still a Veteran QB would have been a much better plan IMO.

Back to Brady, yes I would bring him in. Now if Ben does have a complete recovery then I guess we have a sticky situation on our hands as to who the starter would be. I also like Andy Dalton. I know the Bengals had a crummy season but I think Dalton is pretty good and would flourish with us. I hope Ben has a full recovery and can compete, and sustain, his performance level prior to the injury. Make no mistake, this is a serious injury. One of concerns regarding the injury was it a "Wear & Tear" injury or one that was an immediate trauma-type injury? If it was wear & tear that is actually more concerning to me. Reason being, we know Ben wants to be a "Gun-Slinger" throwing the ball 40+ times a game. He will have to pare down that amount of throws if it is a wearing down issue. We have to have a better plan in place than these young guns. I think Mason will be OK but I am not as optimistic about Duck's NFL career.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We didn't have a championship caliber defense during that time though.

21. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    You're window shopping on Rodeo Drive when we should be shopping at Walmart with our cap situation. Lots of other players to get secured with what we'll save through cap cuts. Depending on what we do with DuPree, which I think should be released, we have another monster to contend with in TJ next year. I don't disagree with you but we're limited on what we can do from my perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There is no chance Brady is coming to Pittsburgh, none! Even if he wanted to play for Pittsburgh they can’t pay him.

If he does leave the Pats I am convinced the only places he will go is to the Chargers or Raiders. Both teams have question marks at QB and are desperate to sell tickets and gain fans in new markets. They would probably give him anything he wants.

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

Yeah, I really did not look at the "Price Tag" situation involved with all of this. You seem to have a grasp on it. Regarding Dupree, I have stated this several times over the past week or so. Yes, he had a "Good" year. Not a "Great" year. I do not want to downplay his season. I really hope he is on the right track if he stays with us. He also may have been the "beneficiary" of some of the other parts that were added to the "D" this year that may, or may not, have contributed to his so-called "success" this season.

Let's put it this way Bud is no TJ. However, it seems that TJ and Bud did compliment one another nicely. Unfortunately, it took about a decade to find the other "Bookend OLB". Four years wasted on Jarvis Jones and four on Bud until this year. In fairness to Bud, he was injured for about a whole year; I believe with a wrist injury? Also, I think that Porter may not have been doing an effective job as his Coach/Teacher. Some here think that Bud decided to wait until the final year of his contract to just "turn it on". I beg to differ. That is too risky. To play possum for four years and wait for the fifth year to excel. I cannot buy that theory. Once again, just too risky.

Given that, IMO a 1st Rounder should be excelling at some point in year #2 if not earlier. This way we have plenty of time to know what we have in the player and much more wiggle room to negotiate that extension/long-term contract. Now we are in a tough situation because he played "good" in his final year of a 5-Year contract. So, what do we do now? Let him test Free Agency? He will probably want too. We will probably offer him a "fair" contract. You know how the Steelers' Front Office does it. The other choice is one of the "Tag" options; which personally, I do not care for. However, this "D" is really coming on. Now if Ben is back, and the "O" can gel with our new and improved "D".... Watch Out!

Two Questions:
    • Does Dalton come with that hefty price as well?
    • What do you think about Dalton?
    I always thought Dalton was pretty good. Just in a situation with the Bengals where they could not win in the playoffs which is fine by me when they had to play us.

24. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Not sure what Dalton's plan is or Cinci's for that matter in what they want to do but I think he asks for more than we could offer at this point (although I could be wrong as he may want to get on a contender for a ring). At this point in his career, he would be a very good #2 but that may not coincide with what he thinks he wants to do. As far as DuPree, it concerns me for a couple of reasons. First, I worry that we pay him and he goes back to the way he played 80% of his time with us. Not good. Second, the team is see=sawing with one year the offense is great with a horrid defense, then this year we have a decent defense and a putrid offense. I am afraid to mess with the chemistry and disrupt the defense again just when Ben comes back and we're back again having a good O but poor D. I guess that is why they pay big bucks for someone to figure this out.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The Titans have some things the Steelers didn't have though, like an O-Line and Derek Henry.

I think RF sucks but when your QB is Duck Hodges and your stable of running backs are border line NFL players and your O-Line is aging with no TE and WRs that.........well, you get the point.

This team has a lot of needs....I think that upgrading the O-line (either via players or coaching) will help all of those skill positions....drafting high on running backs and wide-outs before fixing the line is the cart before the horse IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2