1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fearthesteel, Jan 4, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah thats an easy one.. Put me down for Derrick Henry as well please. And just get it done lol

3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah right! You have just as good a chance of getting a photo of your daughters with Rod Woodson....or is that Ice T?
    LOL....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

That my friend is IceT lol Vanillla Ice..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Patriots did that with Tom Brady at quarterback and the best coach in the league, possibly the best ever. There is absolutely no reason to believe the Steelers can do thing the Patriot way.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Much of that is fair, but people need to stop that narrative with Nix. They missed him a great deal this season. Getting him back should be a big help.

7. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Steelers loading up on FA WR`s . I believe Tomlin is going to make /coach up some depth .

JuJu , Wash , Johnson solid 1-2-3 .

Then you Have Cain , Darbah , and Thomas signed today and some guy Custis that I dont know where he came from .

These guys are all like 6`2 200 + pounds and have spent 1 year on various practice squads.

I just don`t see a high pick this year for WR , maybe a 6th round.

We go edge rusher if Dupree walks or O-line if he stays . That o-line is getting old.

My hope is RB Najee Harris but I think we end up rolling with what we have.

Also I would like to see Jay Sam turned into a WR. He sucks as RB.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They’re certainly stockpiling 6’2 200lb WRs. Where are the route runners in all those guys though? Currently DJ is by far. I don’t necessarily see them drafting a WR high either but if they’re looking to diversify the WR group like I feel they should. They might want to consider one early who fits that mold. We need another WR who creates separation at the snap. Someone that can create 1 on 1 issues for the defense. Not only that but if we’re going to attempt to bring this O into the 21st century we need to incorporate more motion and the potential of jet sweeps as well. IMO we don’t currently have that guy on our roster. My early draft crush for that job is currently Reagor TCU.

Najee fan myself but it would be quite a shock and someone would have to go as our current RBs are relatively set.
    Samuels is what he is, a capable RB with decent running ability and better receiving ability but definitely not a WR.

9. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    someone mentioned the idea of trading juju, i wouldnt be opposed to the idea. even kick in james conner as a package deal for a 1st or an early secon and third.

dont get me wrong i think juju is really good it just seems football is not his priority and we all know about james, a very good runner....when healthy. we can throw in pouncey to sweeten the deal.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No way any team is trading a pick or picks that high for Smith-Schuster. He might have some trade value, but not that much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bill Nunn Draft room?

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Just remind yourself how big of a need S would be without Fitzpatrick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    You may be right but if bill belichick moves up to snag Tua like it's been reported he may do. How would you feel about that pick then because they will now be once again in far better shape than the steelers for the foreseeable future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd feel better about Fitzpatrick, already an All-Pro in only his second season in the NFL, than a quarterback who has already shown he can't stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Even if they get Tua the Pats are not in great shape at all imo. They have holes all over the place and very limited cap room to fix anything. Brady, Van Noy, Mccourty, Slater, Dorset, Collins and Shelton are all key players that are free agents and they have a limited roster as it is, particularly on offence, and they traded their second round pick for Sanu. A lot of the other guys like Edelman are old.

Their roster is a bit of a mess and I think that is one of the reasons Brady is considering moving on, he knows there is a multi year rebuilding job needed there and he wants another shot at a ring. The Pats have not drafted especially well and depend on underpriced free agents to fill holes, guys who go there on bargain contracts in the hope of winning a Super Bowl. They may find it harder to attract this type of player now.

If I was a betting man I’d back the bills for that division next season.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    NFL brass keep their eye on Belicheat & he is mortal. The propped up "dynasty" that needs to skirt the rules to be relevant is coming to an end, hallelujah. They can't even get the zebras to gift them games anymore.

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    To be honest I never gave in to the Patriots cheating stuff, I wrote it off as sour grapes. Now I wonder about Boston sports. I see the Red Sox are under investigation for doing some wrong things during their 2018 WS run. Something in the water in Beantown.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Patriots have been caught cheating four times that we know about. They were warned about illegal videotaping before SpyGate and kept doing it anyway, which led to the more public issue. Throw in DeflateGate and the illegal videotaping of the Bengals' coaches this past season and you have a pattern of behavior. These are incidents of unquestionable rule breaking and do not include shady stuff like equipment failures on opposing sidelines at Gillette Stadium and the way Belichick used to screw around with the injury report. I think he listed Brady as probable with the same shoulder injury for a season and a half.

Nobody can prove it, but I certainly believe the video of SpyGate was worse than ever became public, which is why Goodell destroyed the evidence. It also seems like the latest infraction is going to be swept under the rug. They will get a fine or maybe lose a seventh-round draft pick and the league will announce it late one Friday night during the offseason, whenever the league thinks the fewest people will pay attention.

I'm not saying that is why they have all their championships or why they beat the Steelers in the playoffs so many times, but there is no question that they cheat more than everybody else. If they got caught those four times, how can we doubt that there were many other occasions that they got away with it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The SpyGate video was absolutely worse than what they let on. That’s the reason they were destroyed. If it wasn’t that bad wouldn’t they have served a better purpose if they were shown to the public that there was nothing to see there? By destroying the tapes they planted a seed of doubt that will linger forever. If it wasn’t so incriminating they would of had more value as a pacifier, rather than throwing gas on a fire.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    my problem with nix is not his play when healthy but him being healthy. All year the knee was tested and he barley played. What makes you think the off season will change that? My trouble was also that we didn't even try to bring another fb in knowing he was this hurt since training camp. Especially since knowing we needed to rely on our run game with two young qbs. This was one of the biggest screw ups of the season by colbert. IR nix and do surgery if that's what it takes but don't just let it linger from one year to the next.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I see a "dynasty" that pretty much destroyed the normal runs, great teams, coaches, players of football lore. The Pats are like fish, they started stinking up the joint with their "winning ways". Never really had a powerhouse football team in all their glory. Yeah, something was amiss.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    2020 draft? Pfft....I’m already looking forward to 2021. Will the 2021 draft even mean a thing if we don’t land this guy?
    upload_2020-1-9_10-37-31.jpeg .......for obvious reasons....oh my what fun! Can’t you just hear it now?
    He is a CB though so there is a bit of irony ....as he will be the one in “pursuit “...lol

• Like Like x 2
  23. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    ---I also was going to remind the op that bpa was the policy possibly even before Noll. It just worked better in the early 70's or they were much luckier.

Case in point: They drafted Bradshaw in 1970 and had won 3 games total in 68-69. In 1972 [3 measly seasons] they missed out on the AFCCG. The WR's were certainly decent yet in 74 they drafted both Swann and Stallworth.

Oh wait, maybe Lambert would be a better example. He was drafted and the LB already there was an all pro type. Besides that Russell and Ham were already in place so there you go. Improving an already strong position with a bpa seems to work.

Anyhow, for me this year I am thinking the OL needs some youth and revitalization. However at 49/50? getting another Decastro/Pinney/ or Max Starks/Marvel Smith [not great perhaps but plenty good ]might not be feasible in the draft. Pass protection is priority for me. Even Ben has people in his face way too often.

The D right now is on the verge of #1 status. A Casey Hampton just might do it. Even another impact ILB could be the answer. [I know, already expensive] Then again there is considerable age at CB. Even though it is also already expensive another Ike Taylor is welcome. And of course the WR group is nearly completely depleted. The rookie saved it from being a total disaster. Find another Santonio Holmes and a another possession type WR rd 4. Don't they have two pics there plus a comp 3 is expected.

Uh, lets see! Thats OL, NT/DT, WR, ---ILB?, CB??, and a lot of fans [me too] hoping T. Edmunds progresses. :shrug:

The point is this draft is wide open for a bpa approach.

I do see a lot of support for a TE or a stud RB but I will go out on a limb and stay pat there.

• Like Like x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Time will tell. Even with his injury history hes still projected to be a top 5 pick. If that were any other position they wouldn't even be considered a first rounder with that injury. I wonder why.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They've lost and replace guys the entire 20 years and have still be competitive. Its bill belichick more than Brady. Long as he is in charge they will be a competent football team. Remember he wanted to move on from brady for jimmy g and look at what jimmy g is doing rn. Bill knows. And brady is DONE. Hes washed up he wasnt even good in the SB last yr it was just Jared goff comeptely wet the bed and got exposed by bill belichick and that defense.