1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benny Snell Football

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 6, 2020.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    500 carries / 5 ypc is enough data to form an opinion (regarding potential) beyond the eyeball test.

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yep...A commitment to run the ball, " much better O -Line play ".... Actually a group effort...WR's need to be better, TE's need to be better, and they will be IF...Ben is healthy in my opinion...

Even if all these things would happen, We still wouldn't be the greatest show on turf but, We would have an offense "good enough" to help us will ballgames...And not that ****show we endured last season

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Now go back and read your own post. Losing weight does not produce speed, but you can increase quickness and burst by shedding a few pounds? You contradicted yourself. If increase burst, you get where you are going faster, which is an increase in speed. You basically described exactly what I was talking about. I also didn't say it was just losing weight. It was changing his body and how it is conditioned. Bell was that example. Bell didn't just lose weight. He gained strength in a way that allowed him to move more quickly, thus increasing his speed. The right kind of muscle development can make you faster. That is why sprinters may be lean, but the best ones are always muscular as well.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Snell had plenty of opportunity without Conner this year and he was decent, but nowhere near Chubb's level. It's not like Chubb wasn't great as a rookie. He ran for 996 yards and averaged 5.2 per carry in 2018, when he started only nine games. The only thing that held him back was bad coaching because it took them way too long to start feeding him the ball. He didn't get more than three carries in a game until Week 7 as a rookie. The amazing part was that he still managed a 105-yard, two-touchdown game against the Raiders in Week 4. He did that on three carries. By the way, he did this behind a terrible offensive line which wasn't much better when he was second in the league in rushing in 2019.

By comparison, Snell only had two touchdowns his entire rookie season. He averaged only 3.9 yards per carry behind a better offensive line than what Chubb has in Cleveland. Of course, that's a little unfair because Chubb had other weapons around him, but that doesn't entirely make up for the difference. Chubb is a home run hitter and he has been from the beginning with the Browns. Snell hasn't shown he can do that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

This right here is what I am talking about, you brought up the part about speculation..........and you are right that is what we go here.....

Anyways, my point on Snell isn't about size or speed it is solely on usage. How can he become a back like Chubb when the Steelers refuse to give him that opportunity? In a year where we had injury after injury Snell got 108 att, that is 1/3 of what Chubb got. Remember I did say I am a fan and loved loved loved the pick but if you don't give him a chance he can be like Barry Sanders and it won't matter. That is the point I am trying to get to not about his potential, you know I like his potential but that don't get you production.....playing time does. :smiley1:

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What did we win with a leaner bell? Change our line to a younger leaner, stronger group and our rb can get through holes. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. Really like Chubb. I think he is better then Snell.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but I didn't say YOU couldn't or shouldn't, just that I don't bother trying to figure out the financials. I know some people enjoy that aspect of it but I never got into it.

Back to Snell, thats the whole point, if they do commit to him, I think he could produce liker Chubbs.

9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And even with a leaner Bell, he still couldn't break off runs longer then 20 yards because he just didn't have the speed. He got quicker and into the open field quicker but still couldn't break the long ones due to his lack of speed. Very unlike Dennis Henry and Chubbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    LOL, we can, and have, formed opinions on a LOT less!! I wasn't saying that it wasn't enough to form an opinion. I said "career." There have been plenty of flashes in the pan over the years, especially running backs. They come in and light up the NFL and flame out the next year. Sometimes it's just bad luck and injuries or defections change the line that they ran behind. Maybe even their ability didn't change, but the style of offense changed around them. There are so many moving parts to contend with at the skilled positions.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Say what you want about Conner and his injuries but as it stands right now he’s a better RB than Snell. If Conner would stay healthy Snell wouldn’t get the opportunities, not because they don’t realize he’s the next Nick Chubb but because Conner is just better. Let’s wait and get to the point where Snell can overtake Conner and not because of injury before we start comparing him to someone who ran for 1,500yds last year. If Snell never comes close to the numbers Chubb has put up so far it won’t be because he just didn’t get the chances he deserved. It will be because he hasn’t distinguished himself as a go to RB. Baby steps...let’s see him committed to being in top shape like we’ve seen from Bell and Conner ,then we can start with the comparisons. He won’t ever be the guy unless he improves his conditioning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree. I never said 'career' in the post you responded to. My point was that we've seen enough of Chubb to know he has the potential (and proven performance) to be a feature back (bad luck, injuries, ect aside, of course). Snell, we don't know what he's capable of yet, just like we didn't know with Chubb after his rookie season (although we had a pretty good idea).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa, I’ll do it now but thanks for the laugh at thinking you can dictate when people can make comparisons. :lolol:

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What makes you think that? He doesn't have Chubb's speed. Even if he improves physically from year one to year two like Bell did, he still isn't going to match Chubb's speed. Chubb can do everything Snell can do, but he brings an ability to hit the home run that Snell doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Okay, I'll put the "snark," as you like to put it, aside and try one last time with this.

Speed is a constant rate of motion. Burst/quickness is acceleration. If you increase burst, you get to top speed quicker. You don't change speed. You aren't faster. Maybe you get through the hole quicker and make someone miss, and that's awesome, but the cb who had a step on you before your "transformation" still runs you down from behind. His speed and your speed did not change, even though you gained better body control and burst.

And finally, and again, at this level, these athletes are already in phenomenal shape. They simply aren't going to shave off a second on their 40 time by changing routines. And we're talking primarily about running backs here. These guys have honed their craft for years...and their craft is running. Did Bell run at the combine? If so, like everyone else, he was running as fast as he could. He did not, and I repeat, did not, come back one year later to recondition himself to be faster. You will have to show something concrete to disprove this, but you can't. What he likely did was ADD muscle mass and strength, which I will contend ADDED weight. He could have added weight and still gained body control through a completely different routine that focused on quickness, fast-twitch, and core stability. I'm not saying that is what he did, because I don't know.

What I am saying without reservation is that he absolutely did NOT intentionally lose weight to increase his maximum constant rate of motion.

Body control? Yes.
    Agility? Yes.
    Burst? Yes.
    Conditioning/Stamina? Yes.
    Speed? No.

16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, that's it in a nutshell. Even a middle of the road offense paired with our defense gets us at the very least 3 more wins this past year. If we keep the defense together and, gulp, improve our secondary, an average offense gets us into the post season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I agree there are many here that think if you type something it is gospel........I won't say but he can't read it any ways we are on block from each other........anyways back to Snell

You are right IF they commit to him also IF I can pick the right numbers I can hit the power ball or mega millions. Right now there is nothing showing us the Steelers intention on making Snell the #1 right?

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    The point is that Snell could be a dominant back like Chubb, not BE Chubb. Jerome Bettis didn't have Chubb's speed, but I would take Bettis over Chubb every day and twice on Sunday.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that’s why they drafted him but that’s JMO.

I don’t see them resigning Conner, would be a huge risk for an injury prone player.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah I didn’t follow that logic. Because he isn’t as fast he can’t put up similar numbers or as you put it, be a dominant back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I would hope they drafted Snell with that intention however that still don't change that Conner will be the #1 next year and Snell will be in the wings waiting. It is hard to compare Snell to Chubb when one has been given the chance and one hasn't. Hard to predict what will happen but I am rooting for Snell.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I guess my "logic" was wrong cause I must have misread something.......just sayin

Silly me I apologise to those time I wasted.....smh

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on NY, you make comparisons all the time during the draft to players in the NFL and those are just prospects. Snell has actually played and did pretty well with his limited opportunities.

24. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    If Snell becomes our Number 1 RB we’re in more trouble than we are now. Connor is the best back we have and our clear No. 1 but he can’t stay healthy and available. Snell has good RB skills and is the perfect NO. 2 back but a Derrick Henry he isn’t .

I read an article saying the RB position isn’t a big need because we have Connor, Snell, Samuels, Wythe (?), Edmunds, and more...

I disagree!! Snell is our best RB right now because of his consistent availability overall skill set yet he isn’t as good as a pure runner as Connor or Wythe or as good a receiver or blocker as Samuels.

Our 1st pick needs to be the Best RB left on the Board!!!

Cajun
    <><

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    So you're saying that if Snell is the feature back next year you'll loan me some money. THANKS!!

• Like Like x 1