1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Edmunds Regressed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Dec 29, 2019.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Now what are we gonna do with two bags of those?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Maybe, I was talking about “looking backwards” comment someone made when I was griping about not drafting Jackason instead of Edmunds.

3. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Yup and Ben Is in a beard sucking soup with his left hand and the Ravens are sitting on home field throughout. We took Dobbs and he didn’t fit the scheme and Jackson was the best player available without a doubt but we have to move forward.

4. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Harbaughs ass was suckin bath water three years ago. He was missin playoffs just like everyone else and he was just coming off a SB. People say the really wanted Jackson and drafted him with intentions of rebuilding in his image. No they didn’t, they didn’t even take him first pick. They took him with a trades pick and they only took him because he was the best player available. They brought him in and realized he was better than expected. They rolled them and won.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Harbaugh is still a better coach than Tomlin even if he did "suck bath water" a few years ago. All you have to do is compare Harbaugh's record vs. Belichick and Tomlins record vs. Belichick. Enough said.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Barron was also asked to do a lot more than vince ever was.

how is bostic my boy? I'm just saying for what we pay Vince compared to who we got rid of and who you all want to get rid of, the production per dollars spent is far better with Barron and bostic.

Vince cost 71000 per tackle. Barron 61000. Bostic 24000 per tackle.

Vince only played that much because he's not very good. He makes way too much for his ability.

what doesn't show up in stats is Barron in coverage. The guy he was covering didn't catch many passes. He was also counted on to spy certain qbs at times. Vince is terrible in coverage. He's not very good against the run either. He makes way, way, way too much money for what he does.

as far as savings, we will need every dollar we can get. You designate Vince as a June 1 cut and split that hit.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think this is a good assessment of their drafting of Jackson, but I think Harbaugh is - and has always been - a great NFL coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Vannett worked out? What team were you watching. He did nearly nothing in the passing game and he was part of the run blocking that was not at all effective. That was a bad trade.

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The vast majority of those VW dollars are sunk bonus dollars. I am not saying that signing VW to a big extension was a smart move, and I’m not saying that doubling down by restructuring his contract was a good move. I was against both moves when the decisions were made, and I still don’t think they were wise moves. However, it would be dumb to let him go for the paltry cap savings. He’s a hell of lot better than you give him credit for as a two-down backer, and is well worth his incremental money as a rotational player.

I don’t get for a second what you see in Barron. I still remember him giving up on plays several times during the season. He flashes occasionally in coverage, but he’s very overpaid - and unlike Vince, we can actually save money by parting ways with him.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. I think he performed poorly across the board, and the Seahawks were probably going to dump him to resign Wilson no matter what. I remember at one point watching a Steelers game recently, and when the starting lineups were announced on screen they showed each player’s PFF rating and Vannett was literally dead last among their rated TEs.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’ll admit to not watching him closely.

My concern is that we’ll be in the same position with TE that we have been with S - drafting high, but potentially reaching because we haven’t built in enough contingency.

12. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    But he did win with a team and players he built and he was very successful against the Pats. I think he actually beat them more times than they beat the ravens. That's phenomenal coaching to outduel belichick numerous times. And they traded to get jackson. They didnt take him just because they had a pick and though well hes here. They specifically targeted him by trading with philly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    They def didn’t take him with their first pick.

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They didnt but they still traded up in the 1st rd to get him. He has progressed far quicker than even they anticipated but they saw something in him. I thought he was the best in that draft and I didnt even see this but I go off what guys do vs the best competition. He outplayed Deshaun in death valley but deshaun just had the far better team and I was sold after that. Lamar didnt have Lincoln riley like baker did who is making Jalen Hurts look like an nfl qb nor did he play with the talent of Oklahoma who had Hollywood brown, Dee dee westbrook, CD lamb, etc... he was better than baker in college and will be in the foreseeable future in the nfl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hairball has been snake bitten with injuries for many of his seasons. To our benefit in afcn titles. That & he couldn't draft receivers that could make Flacco look good.

16. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Every 5 or 6 years I take a look at mocks to see how outsiders view the teams situation. I found a site that has numerous mocks by users [fans]. One of them had every pick except two at safety. LOL

Doubtful they had MF in mind. The other two were OL and WR.

The site is called draftsite.com and it's a lot of laughs but fun.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    For those advocating Edmunds move to LBer, who will take over the SS spot? Sean Davis?

And Edmunds led the team in missed tackles with 15 and you want to move him closer to the LOS? I don't know what to do with Edmunds so I was just curious...

18. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I wish we would go back to drafting the best player available and stop reaching with all these projects.
    Dupree great body ,physically gifted 1 decent and one great year out of 5.
    Burns tall fast good length lacks ball skills, he still has all those traits.
    Davis safety slash corner still learning maybe he will learn somewhere else.
    Edmunds again with the physically gifted but lacks game skills two average seasons so far.

Save the freaking projects for the 6th or 7th round and stop wasting picks in the first two rounds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To say the Edmunds regressed is assuming he actually improved at some point?

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  21. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    huhmath.gif

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Virtually...But still ahead of Jesse James:dancing:

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey shaner82.

Great post! Your quote: "You do not draft a guy in the 1st and hope for him to be a 5th year breakout like Dupree". You are so right. I stated the same exact thing last week. We do not have time to dilly-dally with "Projects" from 1st Round selections. 1st Rounders should be up and running at some point in Year#2, if not in their rookie years. Look at Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree. Are we suppose to be thankful that "it seems" that Dupree is finally getting it. I think not. Yes, I am happy but now we are in a bind. It took until his final contractual year to break through. Also, I am not going to say that Bud lit the World on fire this season either. Yes, this was his best year by far and wide. A good year but not a great year. That is what Watt has been delivering, Great.

Jarvis never even broke-out. I guess I should be thankful that Bud seems to have. In fairness to Bud, was it his fault? I am not sure. I am starting to lean more towards "poor" coaching. From the Position Coach > DC > HC. Back to Jarvis, is he even still in football? Coincidentally, Bud seems to have turned it on with the departure of Porter. I do not know. Sometimes great players do not always equate into great coaches. I love Joey Porter and what he did for us as a player. Especially in that Super Bowl XL run. The man was a monster. So do the math. We stood by Jarvis for four years, Dupree five. That is nine years that it took to try and fill that void. Just Disgusting as I say.

Now, Bud holds all the cards. Even if he broke through on Year #3 that would have given us plenty of time to negotiate a new contract with him. Now, he will hit FA or we have to Tag him in some way. This is unacceptable! We seem to have finally got our "Bookend OLBs" and it may disappear as fast as it materialized. We have no one in the wings if Dupree leaves. So, we either have to go the FA route or start all over again through the draft. Once again, Just Disgusting! Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hanratty#5.

I just wrote a more in-depth post in this thread regarding Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree along this topic. The gist was the length of time it is taking some of our players to develop. That is if they develop at all! I agree, that Edmunds is not "getting it". Our scouting and drafting departments seemed to have done better than this in the past. Maybe it is coaching or a combination of both. Whatever it may be, it is totally inexcusable for player development to take this long or even worse not happen at all. As I say around here.... just Disgusting.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’ll offer my .02 cents but it’s probably really only worth .01. I’m one of the ones advocating a position change for TE so I’ll offer up my grand plan. First off the idea stems from his inability to find the football in the air. It’s a instinctual trait and I have a hard time seeing that it improves significantly enough. I’m not sure but I’m thinking most of those 15 missed tackles probably come from playing in space. Moving him closer to the LOS should hopefully decrease his margin of error. His troubles with angles in playing the ball in the air probably also leads to bad angles when tackling in space.
    I would hope we would be able to scrape up enough money to pick up a veteran SS in FA. Obviously with Duprees future hanging over our heads we won’t know if that will be possible. I believe you and I share the same feeling when I say I would roll with the Toledo Twins at OLB and or pick up a FA OLB willing to come in on a 1 year prove it deal. Ask Tampa Bay how that worked out. I think having Watt in the other side immediately makes the ROLB better. Also keep in mind Hilton played a lot more snaps at Safety. We could expand his role there and have Sutton for slot duty. Marcus Allen also has to stake his claim this year or it’s time to move on from him.

Safety is also in the mix for our 2nd - 4th round of my draft needs as well. I would put OL,S WR,DT and Edge in the mix for our 1st pick, obviously based on who we re sign.....jmo.

Edit: I wouldn’t be opposed t bringing SD back on a 1 year deal to play SS. He could be our veteran SS signing...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020