1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you really want a veteran back-up QB...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MeanJoeBlue, Jan 5, 2020.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    ... maybe the Steelers should try to get this Brady guy next year.

He is past his prime, and a bit of a douchebag.
    But his contracts have been well below market value.
    He has been a starter for many years.
    The past 3 years, rumors are that his head coach has tried to get rid of him.
    He will be a FA next year.

Personally, I'd like to see if there is more development this next off-season from Rudolph, Lynch, and even Duck.

But with all the people claiming that it is easy to get a starter-capable backup QB for cheap, why not go after this guy as Ben's backup?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Brady was in the right system that's for sure. I think he was low paid or maybe middle of the road as far as QB's go.

No doubt in my mind his glory years are over. Tough for 40 year old men to keep up with 20 year old's. Hate the guy but amazing what he did. Why he doesn't consider retirement is beyond me and I can't see him taking a back-up position. Heck, the Bengals should grab him to school Joe Burrow. (I assume he will be a Bengal)

I'd love reading this board if he became a Steeler.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He still has gas in the tank. No chance he goes anywhere to be a back up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    yeah, I'm sure Brady wants to finish his career as a low-paid backup...

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm going to assume that, like my computer, your green font doesn't work?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    He will go with Josh McDaniel....if he goes.....otherwise they both stay is my gut feeling. They have their share of injuries and their sub for Gronk fell apart quickly....LOL......

I see the Pats just like our Steelers....lots of crap happened and we will be much better next year.

Why would Belichick move on from Brady? It's not like a Bill Walsh thing with Montana and moving on with future HOF Steve Young.
    Belichick doesn't have a good backup. Brady isn't going anywhere. I think Josh will stay on with TB as well.

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ban Belicheat for a lifetime, Shoeless Joe had more integrity. What most fans want.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I will pass on Brady......

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    well certainly hard to complete a pass to Brady.

catch.gif

• Like Like x 3
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Green font shouldn't have been necessary for that one but apparently some people needed it :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    he would surpass ben on the depth chart by the first preseason game

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If he does decide to give it a go somewhere else I really cannot think where his face would fit in terms of both team need and his own aspirations. One big final pay day as a Las Vegas Raider perhaps? That’d sell a lot of tickets.

My guess is he stays another year with the pats or retires. I know he was missing Gronk and had a poor cast around him this year but even still there are clear signs of regression, Father Time has finally got him imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Belicheat wanted him gone 3 years ago? That would have been nice, We would've still had our 6 Super Bowls...They would have had 4

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think Ben would be happy being Brady’s backup.

15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Can he play TE?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey MeanJoeBlue

IMO, YES! You, definitely take Brady. Why would you not? Given the fact of how difficult it is to find a quality starter let alone a back-up, to me this is a complete "No-Brainer". As I stated in another post with Ben coming back, he may initially be given a clean bill of health. However, this is a serious injury that he endured. Think about it folks: "Season-Ending" is what is was. There is no guarantee that even if Ben comes back fully rehabbed, that he will stay that way. Once you get an injury like his, one that involves ligaments/tendons they are never the same again. Also, age is not on Ben's side either regarding the maintenance of that injury even if it so called "healed".

The common denominator is that this was a serious injury however, there is a fork in the road also on how to move forward with his playing. Let me Explain: Do we know if this was a trauma injury or a wear and tear injury? Big difference in approaching the game planning for his future playing. Do we let him continue to sling it 40-50 times/game or do we pare down the number of throws per game. I think we go back to the recipe for Ben's rookie year. 20-25 passes/game which leads to the occasional 300 yard+ game. Incorporate a solid, and I mean a solid complimentary, running game. No Conner. Sorry James. Conner is good but basically unreliable for availability. So, whether it is Ben or Brady or whoever, we need a quality and durable RB. We can still utilize Samuels and Whyte who I like both very much for change of pace. Also, design some actual plays for these two RBs to tap into their strengths.

Personally, get ready now folks.... there has been some speculation about bringing Bell back and I personally would take him back in a heartbeat. Also, we need solid TEs. I am holding out hope for McDonald and whoever else. Vannett is okay in my opinion. We have the type of O-Line built to protect both Ben and Brady and knows Bell style of running. Bell has not had a lot of mileage put on him the past two years either which is a plus. The WRs are talented and up and coming. The "D" is already in place. Given all of this, the scenario I described would fit both Ben and Brady. Now, the big question is: Would either mind being the back-up QB? Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Trade Ben and his cap hit to the Chargers for Melvin Gordon. Sign Brady, which will convince AB to sign a cap friendly deal. Guarantee number 7...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Trade Tomlin instead & let Ben watch his hero while eating bon bons.

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am wondering how a "certain poster" would feel about this if Brady became a "traitor" and came here............sorry couldn't resist!

• Like Like x 2
  23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    We already have a RB who can’ Stay healthy....

• Like Like x 1
  24. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I want him here just to see how the fans react.

I have found our fanbase's hatred for Brady to be complete lunacy. Let me rephrase, the level of hatred for him to be complete lunacy. It's one thing to root against him and the Patriots, but we've gone far beyond that. When you seemingly get more joy out of them losing than your team winning, which some of my friends do, things are out of sorts, imo.

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft understands that Saturday night’s loss may have been Tom Brady’s final game with the franchise, but he does not want to see the six-time Super Bowl champion in another uniform next season.

Hours before the Patriots were eliminated from the postseason at the hands of the Tennessee Titans, Kraft spoke with Peter King of NBC Sports about the uncertain future of Brady. He said it was important to him when negotiating Brady’s latest contract that the quarterback would be free to do what he chooses after the season, but Kraft clearly wants him to stay.

“I love the young man like he’s part of my family. Blood family. Anyone who’s (accomplished what Brady has) has earned the right to control his future after 20 years,” Kraft said. “And you know, my hope and prayer is number one, he play for the Patriots. Or number two, he retires. He has the freedom to decide what he wants to do and what’s in his own best personal interest.”