1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to the Future : Should Old Time Steelers Football Return? For Real.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Hog, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    By now most know the Cheats just got beat two weeks in a row (at home) where they had been nearly invincible for quite some time. The Titans used Henry to ***** slap them up and down the field last night and knock them out of the playoffs. The Cheats dink and dunk Jedi Master couldn't get points on the board as in the old days and possibly ended his last game at Gillette with a P6. This made me very happy. The Rats are the most productive offense in the NFL and its the run that is making Jackson look better than if he was strickly a throwing QB. As we get into the off season and all of these threads are debating which direction should the Steelers go, there seems to differing opinions of which position has the highest priority. Some say QB, OL, RB, WR's, TE, etc. To me, it seems like the NFL is heading back to the run more than in the past. With teams going for 5'5" gnat QBs (Tua, Murray, Minefileld) who are fleet a foot, should the Steelers concentrate on getting back our running game, for real? Our OL is more of a pass blocking group and it took LB's style of running to get production on the ground. For me, the OL is key and also getting a line that can be productive on the ground and should be our #1 priority. Without a #1 pick, we may be able to get some talent in the second thru fifth rounds and begin the process. If Ben is not his self then this track seems to minimize the impact. The Pats, in a do or die game and with a good defense, could not stop the Titan running game and it cost them. What would it take for the Steelers to get back to what made up great? Defense is close but what about the Offense? Thoughts

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    With this coach? Uh uh not happening.

And I am curious to see how far the run will take the Ravens. There is such a thing as overuse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sure if we had a Derrick Henry type of RB.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Derrick Henry-type RB's usually aren't found in the later rounds. Just sayin...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    They aren’t exactly dime a dozen either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Thing is Jackson can throw too lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It sucks that other teams are playing Steelers football better than the Steelers.

9. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    This is a question of what do we go for first, the chicken or the egg. In this case skill players or lineman that can make the run game go and protect the QB. My point was is our line is/ has deteriorated somewhat this year for whatever reasons (Munch leaving, age, injuries, apathy, etc) and I think this is the first area of concern that needs to be addressed to get back to fundamental Steeler football. With the RBs we already have I think they are good enough to rotate in and make some noise on the ground IF we can get them blocking to establish a ball control type of offense.

10. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes but for how long? Only takes one hit/tackle for his star to fade. He plays a very risky style of QB in the NFL.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes and I saw more stats during the games today that showed the 4 leading rushing teams are in the playoffs and the 4 leading passing teams are not. Ben had a great year throwing last year in passing yards but that stat is becoming over inflated especially when we only win 9 games and miss the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Replenish the OL, a healthy Ben will make them look better, we will see less teams stacking the box. Draft 2 OL and another RB, then we should be good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    That's a really good point. And it helps to make your argument about getting back to a more traditional style offense.

I totally agree with you about the offensive line. The offense starts with the OL. Without it, everything breaks down and you end up playing against the defense instead of dictating to it.

We don't need a stud like Henry. We had a stud in Bell, but you see how well he did in NY without a solid line to open holes for him. We have a stable of backs, with or without JC, that can tote the rock just fine behind a competent line.

But you asked about the direction we should go...I would love for us to get back to a ball control, pound the rock type offense. Defenses are light and fast right now and can swarm to the ball carrier. Bruising backs like Henry and Chubb work well against todays' defenses. BSnell might not be in their league, but he's quite capable of hitting a hole with authority and leaning into the tackle.

So yeah, to your question, and point, I think we should try to reinvent ourselves as a running team. We are going through an identity crisis anyway, and we don't have a marquis qb to build an offense around. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to go back to basics and start putting together a tough-minded offense that focuses on doing the little things right. You can never go wrong by getting back to basics and doing the fundamental things better than your opponent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Why waste a pick on a RB when we've got a capable stable of backs already? I don't get this. You aren't the only one saying it, so I'm not singling you out. BSnell can run behind a good line. Sam proved he could run behind a good line last year. Whyte is unproven, but once again, a good OL makes the skilled positions around it better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Conner isn't going to play 16 games in 2020, Samuels is nothing but a receiver out of the backfield, he's not a good runner. They can get a good RB this draft ready to share the load with Snell in 2021, let Conner walk after next season, if Whyte sticks around it might be for his special teams play.

16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Conner isn't in my scenario for next season. Love the guy, but he's too fragile. And you're watching a different running back named Samuels than I am. The stable of Snell/Sam/Whyte is more than capable to carry for 1500 yards behind a solid OL and competent, healthy qb.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Samuels sucks as a pure runner, he had a good game against New England last year, and his wildcat vs the Bengals other than that I wouldn't waste any carries on him. Conner will be back next season, he's cheap and in the last year of his contract. Snell needs to get into better condition if he wants a bigger role next season, when Bell and Conner came into their second season in great shape they were quicker and more productive.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    They were running behind one of the best OL's in football. No offense, but neither has proven they can run behind a bad OL.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The chances of getting a Henry type of RB, is slim and none. I will settle for a good solid rotation guy, we need a guy who can stay healthy first of all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pittsburgh is likely to get back to "Steelers Football" anyway as a young QBs best friend is the rushing attack. For that matter, me and @bigbenhotness discussed this in another thread; today's NFL Defenses are so much more susceptible to the run then they ever have been. As such, teams like the Titans and Ravens are taking full advantage of it; Baltimore the more notable of the two.

Players like Dexter Lawrence, Vita Vea and the upcoming Derrick Brown will be essential and will prove to be crucial in the 2020s. Three down Interior Lineman like those will be in more high demand than they ever have been. Running the ball will become more prevalent again; phenomns like Patrick Mahomes or otherwise.

Regardless of what the statistics state currently, power run teams will become a major component again within the next decade. Sure, passing will be a stable of the game but I believe this year's playoffs is setting up this decade. Not just setting it up either.

This playoffs could potentially define as to how teams now have to approach their Defensive Philosophy.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Two key goals for the organisation over this off season are to replenish the OLine and establish a reliable running game. Foster and Finney will be gone presumably so draft at least one interior lineman high and get another later for depth. Hopefully Chuks or Banner take a step forward in 2020.

Snell / Conner / Samuels / Whyte is ok but bolster this group with a free agent or trade a 2021 4th / 5th for somebody. I think Snell could be very productive and have regular 100 yard games in 2020 with the right infrastructure around him. If Conner stays healthy for stretches then that’s a bonus.

Derrick Henry is a generational type player, reminds me of a young Marshawn Lynch. You are not going to get a player like that without investing heavily in the draft. Perhaps in 2021 they could use their first or second pick on a running back but I don’t think they have that luxury this year. They should have tried to bag Hunt when he was available for nothing.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The NFL remains a QB driven league. Balance is key, and a passing attack alone won’t do it, but a team is DOA without good QB play. Let’s look at the remaining teams:

AFC
    1. Baltimore - the reason that they are the #1 seed is that Jackson made teams pay for stacking the box with 36 TD passes vs. 6 ints. That’s the difference between last season and this season. Whether or not it’s sustainable is a question mark, but I don’t there’s any doubt that the ability to pass was key.
    2. KC - Mahomes. Enough said.
    3. Houston - Watson puts that offense on his shoulders, and the Watson to Hopkins combo may be the 2nd best in the NFL behind Brees to Thomas.
    4. Tennessee - yeah, Henry mowed the Pats over. However, they got there by Tannehill being one of the NFL’s top QBs after taking over for Mariota: 22 TDs vs. 6 ints in 10 starts; 70% completion %; 117.5 passer rating. Henry and that O line we’re there with Mariota, but the offense was incomplete until they got good QB play.

NFC
    1. San Fran - I’m not a big Jimmy G fan, and I personally think that the wheels will come off soon, maybe vs. the Vikings. However, he had a very good season and they made plays in the passing game very consistently when they needed to.
    2. Green Bay - they achieved great balance this year, and that’s why they’re my NFC pick. However, no matter what they do running the ball or playing defense, Rodgers is the center of that offense (even if his State Farm commercials have become nonsensical garbage). The threat of Rodgers doing his thing prevents opponents from stacking the box vs. the run.
    3. Seattle - Russell Wilson - enough said.
    4. Minnesota - Kirk Cousins has played well this year (107.5 passer rating; 26 TDs vs. 6 ints). Thielen and Diggs are a great combo outside, which prevents teams from being able to stack the box vs. the run, and in turn helps the running game thrive. I’m not sure that Cousins will be up to the task as the playoffs go on, but his play is key to why they’re in the position they’re in.

Of all of these teams, IMO the most vulnerable is San Fran because I don’t think Jimmy G. is any better than average. We’ll see how things go this weekend for them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Going to need a balanced attack going forward. To have the illusion that Ben will throw 40 plus some times over and over is just a joke.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    with those qb driven teams they also have good running games. Every one of them.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    How are their offensive lines?