1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steeler Management blew this even before the season began.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 31, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Of course Ben going down is a major reason as it would be for any team with a top QB, I guess except the Saint who went 5-0 with their back up. However to sit here and say Dobbs could have saved our season when we had two fumbles that led to losses is complete garbage.........jmo. For the record there is tons of blame but trading away our 3rd string QB is not one of them........

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Where did I say Dobbs could have saved our season?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not you, who do you think did?????

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, gotcha, it read like you were implying me :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The evil empire is dead!

• Like Like x 2
  6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    RG3, Tannehill, Tyrod Taylor, Bridgewater, and Eli.......I think most of the rest would be about the same as what we got from Mason pre knockout.

and as was said...the money needed for any of them would be much more than Mason, Duck and Dobbs combined....and honestly...This team will only go as far as Ben drags them on his back. No Ben...No championship...simple as that to me. No way Duck and this Steeler offense went into NE and ran on them like the Titans just did.

I normally like a veteran backup...and an Athletic 3rd QB....because if we make it the the 3rd QB...He probably will be running for his life anyway.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelHack.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Yeah, I was talking about our running game here yesterday or lack there of in relation to how our QB situation can possibly play out next season. I actually wrote in agreement with you about your quote: "No Ben...No championship". That pretty much sums it up. There is no one we have, or "Back-up" that is out there, that would be able to lead us to another championship unless it was Ben, IMO.

My concerns are if Ben does come back, and makes it through this "complicated" injury, how much "borrowed time" does he really have? I think Management has to start treating Ben with Kid Gloves to a degree giving this injury and his age. More specifically, I kind of like how he was utilized statistically in his rookie year. Maybe 20-25 throws per game now and even with that maybe he goes over 300 yards every now and then. This will probably not sit well with him as we all know he wants to be a "Gunslinger".

However, if he wants to maintain some sort of longevity with the team, he is going to have to conform to how he plays the position. To assist with this, we are going to need an effective running game. Something we do not. Conner is undependable and after him are not what we are looking for. I am not down with that "RB by Committee" concept. A strong running game will definitely take some of the heat off of Ben as far us having to rely on him to pass us to victory. Bell anyone? There has been some swirling speculation of a return. For me personally, I say "Yes". He is a major big-time game-changer that opposing Ds have to account for in so many ways. His reunion to the Steelers would be one more thing that could help prolong Ben's career in the Black & Gold as well as immensely upgrade the "O".

Also, we finally have a very formidable "D". So that is a huge plus for Ben and the team as a whole. The question is: are there going to be departures? In all likelihood, yes (maybe Hargrave, maybe Dupree). On the bright side, Tuitt should be back. Plus I expect some major jumps from Bush who kind of faded down the end. This is the best "D" we have had in long time and it will go a long way with a modified effective "O" that has Ben at the Helm and thus will take even more pressure off of him. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agree with you except Bell...He was in a pretty rapid decline the last 2 years we had him.3.9 ypc, 7 ypr is not good! He looks/ is slow...Those massive amounts of carries in college, and in those pros has caught up to him imo...A RB has only so many carries in him...Bell was always slow, but shifty for a big guy, great pass catcher, and could deliver a blow when needed...But I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole now...

What I would do is... ( Now this part I like ) Less passing from Ben...

And a legitimate TE, Through FA, Draft, Whatever...Cut McDonald and give Ben a Heath like, sure handed, safety net TE, This alone will help this offense but, like ShamWow " There is more " !

Cut lard Ass Foster...That alone will improve the line... Pouncey to guard, Finney to Center or Feiler to Guard, Chuck's to RT?...

Move on from Fitchner, Hire a QB Coach ( Not Ben's BFF )

Still think RB by committee is ok...Conner, Snell, Samuels...Add another WR to the young, with potential WR's Johnson, Washington, hopefully s healthy JuJu...And suddenly, With just a few moves...This O looks much improved, and with our D..." Could compete with anyone "... IF Ben is healthy!

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Hack, I agree with what you are saying about how much these guys will cost however let me ask you a question. Do you think with better QB play we could have won a a game or two more? If you do that puts us in the playoffs and we just saw what what a good Titian defense can do in the playoffs. With Ben being a Question mark and one year older the Steelers may feel after watching this season a Vet may be a wise investment. I game a list earlier in the thread on how much a vet back can make and yeah it will be a heck of a lot more than what Mason is making but you are hoping to get a ton more out of a vet imo.

If the Steelers feel they want a vet QB than they have to know they will have to pay 4-8 mil for a guy that is some what good. Maroita will not get 10 mil to be a back up count on that, if he gets 10 mil it will be for a chance to start......I am talking about back up money. At back up money I can see Maroita, McCoy, Daniel, Henne, Stanton and Keenum all as guys that will see back up money.

10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The two biggest issues this year were losing Ben and the offensive line play.

Tough to ask a young QB to play well when the 5 guys in front of him constantly let pressure through and create no opportunities for the run game. I’m not absolving Mason of blame, he had major issues especially after the concussion (which I think is related to some of his play this year, you can’t tell me his head was right after that).

I’m also not absolving the runningbacks off blame however, nothing on offense works without the line which struggled this year.

As far as receivers stepping up, how many of those last 6 games was James Washington wide open and the ball never thrown to him? Almost one per game, and 3 of them would have easily been a TD. If Ben was at QB we would be talking about how Washington was really stepping into a #1/2 role.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Disco1981.

I think the biggest Elephant in the Room here is going to be Ben's health. As you quoted: "Could compete with anyone "... IF Ben is healthy"! Shoot, even with Mason and Duck we were in most games as I have pointed out before here. If it were not for the blunders of several Veteran players we have at least four more wins. Possibly the Division Title and a First Round Bye:

• Moncrief: Seattle tip pass > Interception > Leads to game winning TD drive.
    • Conner: San Francisco > Fumble
    • JuJu: rats. OT Fumble.
    • JuJu: Buffalo > Potential TD Pass Dropped.
    Man, I get steamed thinking about these four games and what could have been.

For the record, I still like Bell. We all pretty much knew how this was going to turn out with the Jets. Even the HC over there did not want him. Wow! Bell, is so multi-dimensional. I get what you are saying about the "mileage" on him. However, he did take that year off and did not have a lot of touches with the Jets. Both which gave him some extra "playing-life". I, personally think he still has something to offer.

Man, teams had to special game-plan for him and I do not see that changing right now. We do not have a RB on the team that opposing defenses have to worry about in that regards. When you have a RB that gives you 80+ receptions a season that is very, very impressive and dangerous. He lines up as a receiver at times. Just Wow! How many times as we seen Ben use him as a successful Check-Down? He was and could be again, a true and unique asset to the team. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have seen some articles linking the Steelers and Mariota from Tenn....At the right price sure why not...but honestly the guy that I would throw some money at is Taysom Hill from NO.

Keep this in mind...he is their 3rd QB....their backup RB...and plays all special teams...and even blocked multiple punts this year. He is a pure animal on the football field....arguably one of their best players....and was dragging the Saints on his back down the field in the 4th Q towards a go ahead TD until Brees fumbled. He just finished a 3 year $1.6 mill contract......He made less than almost every punter in the league.

I don't know the money needed to snag him away from NO...but he is who I would bring in as my 3rd QB. I will ride with Ben, Hill....and whoever comes out of camp as the #2 Mason, Paxton, or JT Barrett

Those "wildcat" plays will be much more of a threat with him back there than one of our RB's

As for RB. I would not be opposed to Bell being back. The Jets did the league the favor of paying him all the guaranteed money he wanted. He did exactly what I thought he would do....and this was what I predicted when he was sitting out before he signed with anyone. He was going to sign with who offered the most money (which I also thought would be the Jets) and the Jets were not a good enough team to get him where he thought he would be.

Bell was an afterthought both in the Jets coaches room and the league. Remember him complaining about the 400 plus touches the Steelers forced on him. Well this year there were grumblings about the 300 he got. I think he definitely realizes he not only lost money by holding out (which he did) he lost any chance at a yellow jacket (which I think he did) he lost any chance at the ring (which based on the Jets the last 40 years he did) I think bringing him back into the fold would not be bad for him or the Steelers...but only if the Jets are giving him away. I'm not trading anything for a 5 to 7 for him at this point. But I think he would come back with his arms wide open.

But I am more likely hoping for JK Dobbins in round 2 of the draft.

HACK

(also did anyone else see the graphic during the playoffs this weekend. Showing the top rushing teams all still in the playoffs and the bottom all sitting at home....that bottom list included the top 2 or 3 paid RB's in the league....these guys may feel they "RESET" the RB market...but I think they just confirmed that you don't need the highest paid RB ...just a good one)