1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My crude rating system for Tomlin/Cowher in the playoffs....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pengvin67, Dec 30, 2019.

1. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Cower had good to great defenses for most of his tenure.Also had one of the leagues best rushing attacks throughout...Its when he had to lean a little on Neil/Kordell/tomzak It all fell apart...When the Troys,Farriors,and Hamptons got old, this team[Tomlin] started choking in the playoffs..It says more about how Defense is a catalyst for what you do in January.We have had this high powered offense that would get shut down by lesser teams.[with better D than us]….This year should prove the importance of keeping this defense together whatever the cost.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Still fresh in my mind
    Remember where I was, and especially remember Woodson talking about " I dont know what that cornerback was thinking playing press on 3rd and 18" about McKyer. I remember all of it like it was yesterday.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Nice touch.

I use to play a lot of chess, got to 1600. Hopefully it holds off Alzheimer's...lol

Great thread Pengvin67

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Well we swept the Ravens a few times for the AFCN title. Big chest was pretty clutch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lol, Never said Cowher found him, but he got Harrison on his watch. Just come out and say what we all know, you LOVE Tomlin and you hate Paxton Linch. :shrug:

6. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin is actually a .667 according to your system.....he has 15 playoff games ( you have 2 number 9's listed in your list of games )

7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    To summarize the OP: Cowher good. Tomlin suck.

Sounds reasonable to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Kind of reminds me of the “Your Team is Cheating Too” website started by some Patriot fan after Deflategate. He started with a belief, and scored accordingly. Steelers used steroids in the 70’s- 10 cheating points. Patriots caught filming other teams, losing a first round draft pick- 2 cheating points. When you control the scoring and what you want as the outcome, you can prove anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Cowher had his ship in order. At the very least he had a philosophy of want he wanted on both sides of the ball. Tomlin teams have never had any sort of identity whatsoever. That's a problem of not being a good manager.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin lets the players tell the "season story". A defective tactic imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What is a "Steeler coach" then?

12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I hope Tomlin was taking notes tonight on Vrable`s tactics using the clock, etc. while beating NE. What a good coach.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Evil Empire is dead. Anybody but Ravens now!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No more 49ers hype would be great in the NFC. That & the juggernaut Aints crying about missed opportunities.

15. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Hard nosed. Strong, blitzing, bad ass defense. Dominating O line, run the ball first. Not a “players coach”. Before you get a bee in your britches, I’m not an anti Tomlin guy. He just isn’t Cowher or Noll.

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I was thinking the same thing. Hope Tomlin was watching and maybe learning something, but somehow doubt it, because he hasn't learned clock management after all his years.

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And, they both, should've had two

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Cowher had mostly lousy QB's for most of his career when he got one he won. Tomlin has had a top 5 QB for his entire career and for a few years the best WR and the best RB.
    Tomlin's only SB win was with mostly Cowher's players making one last grasp at glory. Once that core retired or moved on the Steelers have been slightly better than most but haven't been considered a SB fav in years.

I get that Tomlin has not had a loosing season but he has taken years to rebuild a defense and he was supposed to be a defensive coach.

Tomlin is better than 75% of the coaches out there but not nearly as good as the top 25%.

If Tomlin had coached just about anywhere else his record would be seen as the second coming, but where else would he have to follow the Emperor and the Chin.

He did do a good job of keeping them playing hard for most of what could have been a lost season but in crunch time his time management and lack of in game adjustments are not as good as the better coaches.

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Preach brother

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    I don't think I cherry picked. Why don't you do the rating system yourself and tell me what you get? I mean going on a historical run with 3 road playoff wins is amazing! Why can't Tomlin even get to AFC championship games more regularly with a Hall-of-Fame quarterback? You keep saying the same thing too, ALLLLLLL the time. Tomlin doesn't lose games because the players turned the ball over and the punter didn't do their job or the kicker didn't make the kick and then Tebow got lucky and then Blake Bortles got an easier defense to play and then losing against the Raiders was because Dobbs threw an interception and then against the Saints JuJu fumbled and then against the Ravens JuJu fumbled and then against the Browns he can't win with rudolph, and on and on and on and on. But he wins a couple games in a row and he's Coach of the Year. How ridiculous did that look after the last 3 games of the season? That conversation died down REAL quick? When Mike Tomlin wins he did the most amazing job, but the players lose the games for Tomlin otherwise he would be 16-0? I'd love to work as your boss. When you mess up, I'll tell everyone that YOU messed up and it's not my fault that YOU. I mean I'm just your boss so I can't keep you accountable. But if you do great, I'm the greatest BOSS ever, because Look at how great this guy is because of me. Lol Fans like you enable the mediocrity. Keep it loud and proud that the Steelers have had some of the BEST 8 and 8 teams ever in the history of the NFL. Now you tell me which ones they were? I can't wait to salt other fans with that information. We love 8-8 in Pittsburgh.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  21. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Thank you Roonatic. According to some fans I used the ratings to fit my narrative? Lol I was so easy on Tomlin with my ratings it's ridiculous. To me losing to garbage heap quarterbacks like Tebow, Garrard, Bortles in the PLAYOFFS, should be -2000. Again, Cowher lost to guys like Brady, Elway, and yes Humphries and I dinged Cowher hard with a -10. And again against the cheaters a -10. But somehow, I'm biased. Lol

22. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    The 2008 Steelers were a very good team for sure. HOWEVER, if you can't beat the average Chargers (home), rookie Joe Flacco (home), and a perennially losing Cardinals franchise in the playoffs, that's on you. Tomlin didn't have to cook up some great schemes to beat these teams. Believe me, I'm very happy that the Steelers won, but I'm not going to brag to other fans that the Steelers pulled off some miracle. You know why? Because the Steelers can also lose to guys David Garrard, Tim Tebow, and Blake Bortles. The 2008 steelers were expected to win every one of those games. Sometimes you have a very favorable playoff schedule. This is why I hate the fact the Patriots cheated. The 2001 or 2004 Steelers could have won a Super Bowl as well. Should that not be considered? 3 Road wins for the Steelers in 2005 and you're comparing 2 Home games in the playoffs against Philip Rivers (8-8 that year) and Joe Flacco (as a Rookie)? The Steelers beat Peyton Manning plus other Hall-of-Fame talented level players in his house. Hat's off to that. Yes Big Ben is a HOF player but that was his 2nd year only. Hanging in with the loaded Cowboys with the Triplets of O'donnell, Bam, Thigpen vs. Aikman, Smith, Irvin! That's amazing. A chance to beat the Cowboys (a team with 6 Hall-of Famers close to 7 (with Darren woodson borderline) (Steelers had 2 with dawson/greene) with 4 minutes left is wow. I just want you to name a Signature Win, A win that Tomlin had that AMAZED you personally in the playoffs. Like the Steelers didn't have a chance going on the road and they pulled off a stunner? Yeah, they beat Alex Smith in KC. That's not THAT impressive. You know Alex Smith is 2-5 as a quarterback in the playoffs. Other than that? Eh. Nothing to write home about. They had a good shot at Aaron Rodgers. But You do have a Hall-of-Fame qb in his prime on your team as well, right? So as you might guess, most of my thoughts on a coach are based on what quarterbacks did they have and what quarterbacks did you face. There aren't many opportunities to have a Hall-of-Fame quarterback for so long in a coaching career. I think that's why fans like myself see this as missed opportunities all over the place.

23. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Cheaters stopped them twice. Can't do much when your opponent knows your plays. 2001 steelers lose to the Rams and maybe even Rich Gannon and the raiders at home (if no tuck rule). 2004 Steelers could have beaten the Eagles. Can't rewrite history, but the Patriots really skewed reality during their run. Colts/Steelers were the most affected by the Patriots cheating otherwise Cowher and Dungy each may have a couple more Super Bowls.

24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Cowher had his problems with afccg's. In Pittsburgh. Tomlin is his equal when talking about records & lost playoff hopes. Cowher knew football better but that is about all i give him credit for. The stinky QB issue was mostly on him for thinking he didn't need one.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    I agree, but again, playing the Patriots isn't necessarily a fair evaluation for Cowher's abilities. If the Patriots truly had that edge that everyone suspects, how are you going to beat them with Kordell or a rookie quarterback? But Cowher did build a defense and had a running game. Quarterback was supposed to be a game manager mostly. Getting to 5 afc championship games is quite good, but yes, losing to Humphries, not good. Lost to Elway, TD, Sharpe by 3 points. not hateful. He wasn't going to be able to win clutch games with Kordell for sure and that is a ding. Ahhh well. I just wanted to get up and argue with people. I'm getting ready to sue an old friend so I'm getting my juices going. Lol