1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions I'd love the answers to, but will never get

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    1. How much did Ben call his own plays (e.g., opting for big gain attempts on 3rd an 7, throwing to AB regardless of other factors) rather than the play called by the OC? Did this season's vanilla game plans reflect what an OC typically calls without Ben's improvisation, or more of just what was possible with limited talent?

2. When Tomlin intervenes, does he call specific plays or general trend (he says go for it on 4th down, but OC calls the specific play, calls for a blitz, but the DC calls the specifics)? As he never seems to have the list of possible plays in his hand, it would seem the coordinators calls the specifics.

3. When a play is radioed to the huddle, are there reminders of details (e.g., don't take a sack, throw it away if you have to) or is it just the play to be run?

4. What does Danny Smith do? Special teams have been far from special, except for Boz this season.

5. What percentage of designed plays actually worked as intended? This is the NextGen stat I would like to see.

6. I know the players review tape of previous games to identity areas to improve. Does Tomlin review game tape with his staff to identify where they could improve in play calling? Does anyone review Tomlin's decisions (e.g., clock management)?

7. What do they actually do in practice during the week to prepare for the upcoming game? As fans, they often look unprepared, and this would seem to reflect on whatever goes on in practice?

8. Are players quizzed on the rules of the game?

9. Will anyone call out TJ Watt for his cheap shot on RG III? That kept a drive alive. I love his intensity, but he needs to make good decisions based on game awareness. That is a coach's job.

Please add your own.

2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    As far as your number 9 goes, I give him a pass on that. RGIII was acting like a pompous ass douchebag. He needed knocked down a peg.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. upload_2020-1-3_13-0-32.jpeg

4-8. upload_2020-1-3_13-1-18.jpeg

9. [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Yeah I saw Bud give RG III some extra sauce in the 4th quarter also.

5. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not at the expense of continuing a drive when we were still in the game.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Are your acorns really made of steel?

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Speaking of......... Anyone remember Balls of Steel? or was that the old message board?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I suspect that any answers you get on here are going to be pure speculation based on outside observation. Those seem like insider type questions and I would be skeptical of an answer without an "in my opionion" statement or establishing credibility by posting credentials.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    excellent questions and yes, none of us will know....here are my best guesses though since you know, wtf...

1 - i think the play calls were relatively the same but Ben has more knowledge of NFL defenses and can audible or change protections with what he is seeing... or Ben may just forget option #1 right off since he knows that WR will be doubled and look quicker to option 2 and 3. MR and Duck just aren't there yet. I'm sure Ben changed plays more often too, maybe 15%??? I say that just because of Ben's comments about "I just run the play called". He still can change a small percent I bet.

2 - I would agree for the most part and Tomlin doesn't call specific plays but he will tell the coordinators to attack the RCB or exploit the left side in the run game, etc based on what he's seeing "in game".

3 - gawd, I would hope the coordinators are in the ears of the QB or LBer with what to keep an eye on, but who knows really...my gut tells me that this is done very little here though because the coaches feel they are dealing with grown men in a professional game. I know the helmet communication is only activated for so long....but there were times where Duck could have used a reminder to not take a sack etc..

4 - he chews gum dude......i don't know, tough to get a decent return when there's a penalty ON EVERY EFFIN" KICK OR PUNT RETURN. And that's not just the Steelers that's every team in the NFL if you watch. You have one job - to teach them not to block in the back or hold and your returns will improve dramatically.....its really that simple imo.

5 - no clue especially since there are so many options built into one play call

6 - Coach to coach peer review - doubt it. Just no time in season. Off season I'm sure there are some critiques and shoulda wouldas...how much of that is remembered and implemented next season....tough to say?? Tomlin knows his challenge skillls suck that's why Teryl Austin's role was to include challenge review. Does the same go for time management?? A lot of coaches suck at that tbh....Everyone points to Belicheat as the GOAT but he has had some all time head scratchers with clock management...a lot of it is instinct I bet.

7 - No idea....practice makes perfect is a misnomer. Perfect practice makes perfect, if that isn't what you strive for, then good luck

8 - In training camp and OTAs yes when the refs are brought in to oversee practices....whether that's carried over in season who knows. I'm sure its brought up AFTER a gaffe is made in one of the games.

9 - missed it, my area carried the Tenn-Houston game....Was it before or after the fake punt from the 11? IF after, then I hope TJ knocked out a molar and now has it on a chain around his neck. I would have preferred a Predator spine pull, but you know censorship and sheet these days...

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Old Board (if you can call it that). I thought he reappeared here a while back under a different name, maybe not. I think that Board was run by the Soup Nazi. I got bounced for including an old time Steeler players name in my screen name (Buddy Dial). No warning, no do-over. Boom. Just banned. Never even got to make 1 post I don't think. :facepalm:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    so that forum was like Bob Evans.......I'm a Cracker Barrel man now so there's that....

• Like Like x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Is that you Turtle pickin' that acoustic? Ha ha. Grew up Catholic, know all about Purgatory. He didn't mention Limbo though which was a decent place to go for those not baptized Catholic but no clear path to Heaven unlike Purgatory where you could get bumped upstairs for good behavior over time (10,000 years?) :shrug:

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    haha no! I'm a hillbilly but not a talented one.....not enough to be a picker like that....

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    this is more my speed......

• Like Like x 1
  15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'll take it one step farther - check the replay. True, TJ shouldn't have done it - but RGIII sold that one, big time.